Steering Stabilizer - Put it back on? No off roading here. - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Steering Stabilizer - Put it back on? No off roading here.

As many of you have seen I went through my leaf springs and ran into a bracket that had no part attached to it, which you identified as where the steering stabilizer was located (steering dampener). I imagine the POs likely felt they didn't need it after the part likely failed and never replaced it.

My question; In that I will not be doing any off roading and want the smoothest ride possible, should I toss one back on?

Skyjacker makes a 9001 kit for $52, which I think would be totally worth it if that likely smooths out the steering. I checked around for posts and found a few, but nothing specifically talking about normal weekend warrior driving and what the steering is like around corners/roads.

EDIT: Thank you for the replies in the original thread, I wanted to break this out and get some additional guidance.

As always, thank you!!!

PNW Represent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it doesn't bother you leave it off. On coil sprung vehicles there is more issues because of side to side movement.

If you want one you can get them at about any parts store for less that the Skyjacker one. If things are feeling too ruff you make need to look at you TREs or maybe the bushings in you leafs.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #3 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
If it doesn't bother you leave it off. On coil sprung vehicles there is more issues because of side to side movement.

If you want one you can get them at about any parts store for less that the Skyjacker one. If things are feeling too ruff you make need to look at you TREs or maybe the bushings in you leafs.

So basically, with all variables in correct order, the driving on pavement and my noticing a difference should really be negligible? BTW, my roads are good around here and I should be potholing or having the wheel jerked around much.

And thanks for the options on where I could head instead of snagging the skyjacker

PNW Represent

post #4 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw91 View Post
So basically, with all variables in correct order, the driving on pavement and my noticing a difference should really be negligible? BTW, my roads are good around here and I should be potholing or having the wheel jerked around much.

And thanks for the options on where I could head instead of snagging the skyjacker
You could go to Napa, AutoZone, Orleiys or any other parts store to get one, even off line, Rock Auto, Amazon...

I never ran one on older trucks I have had. If everything is good the stabilizer may offer slightly more resistance when turning left or right? You have "feel" the road less?

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 08:49 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
I just put a brand new steering stabilizer on mine a few months ago to replace the old worn one I've had for who knows how long... I can't tell much of a difference. I don't think the old once had much of a fight left in it if any. I did, however, notice a difference when I added a steering box brace about a year back. It's especially noticeable when I'm doing 70mph on the freeway with my 35" tires.

I want my two dollars!
post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
My question; In that I will not be doing any off roading and

off roading has nothing to do with it. Its basically a soft shock that absorbs wheel shimmy, sudden wheel movement from impacts, and smooths out the steering cycling from one side to the other.

Quote:
want the smoothest ride possible,

Grease between the spring leafs, use regular store bought shocks like Blisten or Gabriel, have your suspension and steering in good working order, and don't run unneeded higher tire pressure.

Quote:
should I toss one back on?

Yes, they come on all these cars and truck (and jeeps) for a reason.

Quote:
Skyjacker makes a 9001 kit for $52, which I think would be totally worth it if that likely smooths out the steering.

If its a larger than stock dampener and or has different mounting ends, expect fitment and range issues. A firmer steering dampener will not compensate or fix issues in other parts of the system.....ball joints, caster angles, worn tie rod ends, loose shackles, etc.
Ross and LJameson like this.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2020, 10:22 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A stabiliser can mask JEEP DEATH WOBBLE for a while, but there is no substitute for keeping the steering in good order. If everything is otherwise fine you could live without it but I would put it on.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 18 Old 01-18-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I ordered up the Skyjacker 9001 Kit, but I don’t think it includes the steering arm bracket. I have the pin by the leaf springs, but no bracket on the actual arm. Looks like the PO removed it.

I imagine a universal bent steering bracket should do the trick. Thoughts?

I believe it is the smaller bracket in this photo but can’t find one around. (NOTE: One end of this photo is incorrect and that is not the one I bought)

PNW Represent
post #9 of 18 Old 01-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm not sure how you plan to connect the drivers side of that dampener. The stock one connects to a bracket on the spring perch.

Edit: Never-mind. I see you have it under control.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 10.13.19 AM.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-18-2020, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Steering damper to tie-rod bracket.... that is the one that is proving to be a pain to find where the plate is contoured to the tie rod and looks exactly like that.

Thank you for the picture, very much appreciated!!!

PNW Represent
post #11 of 18 Old 01-18-2020, 05:54 PM
CSP

The aftermarket stabilizer doesn't need the curved plate. Just the ubolts that clamp to the tie rod. The other end also has ubolts that attach the bracket to the axle tube.
uw91 likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-20-2020, 02:39 PM
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Steering damper to tie-rod bracket.... that is the one that is proving to be a pain to find where the plate is contoured to the tie rod and looks exactly like that.
If you want a true OEM look, I'd search facebook groups if you have a facebook.. There are many used OEM buy/sell pages. I got lucky and found one at a pull and pay yard that had a wrecked CJ
uw91 likes this.

CJ-7 build
post #13 of 18 Old 01-20-2020, 03:17 PM
station10fd
1984 CJ7 

Quote:

Thank you for the picture, very much appreciated!!!
When i did the tie rod flip, I went with bigger tubes. If you want the clamp part, PM me and I'll send it your way free.

Mike T.
Attached Thumbnails
clamp.jpg  
uw91 likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-20-2020, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by station10fd View Post
When i did the tie rod flip, I went with bigger tubes. If you want the clamp part, PM me and I'll send it your way free.

Mike T.
Mike, you are the boss/king/savior/champion!!!!

PM sent and thank you.
Deer-Slayer_5 likes this.

PNW Represent
post #15 of 18 Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Mine (that I removed) had the same setup as yours. The only issue is that I have a dif cover with fins. It contacted the fins and never worked correctly. I had already replaced all the steering components, so I just removed it all together. Didn't notice any difference with it gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in