Steering Column Bearing - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sonnychiss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-15-2021, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

Steering Column Bearing

In the midst of removing old wiring from the engine bay, I noticed the lower steering column bearing has extreme play in it. I can move the lower steering shaft up/down and side/side ~1/4". This is on a 77 CJ5 without tilt column. The steering shaft itself is a newer HD unit. I installed it and the steering column bearing kit a year ago. It has power steering. I can't figure out why this bearing would go bad so quick. It explains the occasional clunking noise I get from the column, but I don't want to replace it without solving the underlying problem. Its not urgent but any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i am guessing it is sealed so there is no service. year is not that much miles for most Cjs to wear out that i would think. long as it installed ok. sounds like a new one again. nothing odd like the steering shafts u joints ok all connections/rag what ever it has? i would guess if you know the size there might be a heaver duty one that fits and where to to find it?, may not be as well. but there should be no need for a super duty bearing here really. stock should do for decades?

even a timken should be enough lol.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2021, 05:20 PM
jlkeener
1980 CJ5 

Garage
There is a member of this forum who makes a better steering bearing. I can't remember his name but I have one in the shop. Hopefully another member will jump in and identify who it is. I will be in the shop tomorrow and get the info if nobody chimes in.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2021, 06:08 PM
sonnychiss
1978 CJ5 

Wolff Engineering makes a very good replacement that is a huge upgrade over the stock design. There is a link and discussion in this thread.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/w...aring-4421285/
Sparkybob likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2021, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

Thanks for the questions and suggestions. I have no problem upgrading or changing to a different setup. The current kit and bearing I installed is a direct replacement Crown. I am aware Crown is in no way super high quality, but for a small $22 bearing and nylon bushing I would have thought it'd do better. I'll look into Wolff. The HD steering shaft u-joints still look good and act brand new. The column itself is secured and properly tightened with no movement or play. The only play is in the internal upper steering shaft itself, right at the bearing where it couples to the lower steering shaft. Like I said I will look into the Wolff upgrade. Thanks all.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2021, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
JeepinGeo

Well I bought the Wolff Engineering bearing kit. Installed it with ease. It appears to be holding up quite well and will have hopefully solved my sloppy steering issue. Thanks for the suggestion yall.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2021, 02:50 PM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

A little after the fact, but:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/w...eview-4313445/

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in