steering advice CJ7 with a spring over lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Active Topics Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Advertise Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > steering advice CJ7 with a spring over lift

Unread 09-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #16
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

To make this thing drive right, you will need the high steer kit or an axle swap all together to something like a scout 44.

Just like what was said above, you will need the anti wrap bar in the back in order to keep the AMC 20's pumpkin at the correct angle.

I realize that spring over gives you all the lift you want and better articulation, but unless your willing to put the coin in to do it right, it isn't worth trying to do it. A cobbled together SOA is worse than any other type of lift you can buy.

MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
xtholmes

I’ve been eyeballing these links. It answered my question before I asked about brake calipers.

Is my axle shaft still gonna work if I keep all the original Dana 30 parts or am I gonna have to change that up too?

No they did not put an anti-wrap in the back. I can tell my pumpkin is definitely at an angle.
xtholmes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #18
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtholmes View Post

No they did not put an anti-wrap in the back. I can tell my pumpkin is definitely at an angle.
The angle will only get worse over time.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #19
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I'm running SOA with 0 issues.

The key is getting the caster angle set properly before welding the perches. I don't even have my stabilizer shock on and 70+ on the fwy...with 35" tires? 0 Issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #20
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

By axle shaft i take it you mean the shaft between the diff and the knuckle? yes, it will last for a while. If you use this only on highway in 2WD, it will last a long time. 35" and D30 off road is not a great combo, and it i more than just upgrading the axle shafts to chromolly, you would also need stronger joints, lockouts and strengthening to the entire case and ends of the axle. If i had to put money on it, the first parts to break will be the joints or the lockouts.

The Dana 30 / AMC20 combo soldiers on in Cjs because they came that way, not because they are the strongest combo. With 35" tyres you should be thinking about single piece axle shafts in the rear AMC20 as one of your first of many expenses. the two part shaft fails even in mild situations as torque reduces on the axle Nut and the parts fret and fail.

Have a look at your rear driveshaft. Is it a simple shaft or a double cardan CV joint? When you lift them you should look at teh angles and if in any doubt change to a double cardan. this will require twisting the pumpkin so it points at the transfer case output, instead of being parallel. Being at angle is either good or bad, depends on the driveshaft. Fortunately they are relatively cheap but you have to get teh alignment right, which is usually a matter of rewelding the spring perches or shimming. the anti wrap bar is to stop the springs from getting all bent up with the extra moment and you bunny hopping down the road, it is not about static alignment. You may or may not need it.

By this time you are probably realisng that going back to stock is cheaper than fixing it up. Big SOA lifts are not for the faint hearted, there is a lot of science and money in it. As soon as you go above about 3" of list, you need to think through every component or you may end up with a wayward slug which drives horribly and is awful slow.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #21
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

if you fill out your profile you may get more accurate, but still wrong, answers

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2019, 06:08 AM   #22
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtholmes View Post
I’m gonna look into those for sure!!
Stay away from them. I was warned, didnt listen, bought one and took it back off the next day. Scrapped it because i didnt want to sell it to somebody else.
Buddy of mine just spent 12 hours recovering his jeep after his failed on his TJ.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #23
xtholmes

I tell ya, it is definitely an interesting journey going with an SOA lift. I can totally see how it is way cheaper to turn around now and take the SOA off🤦‍♂️ I got some CJ soul searching to do! Lol
xtholmes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
City
What City do you live in or nearest to?
State / Province
What State / Province do you currently live in?

Log-in