Stealth HEI, stock coil OK? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
dirtrail

Stealth HEI, stock coil OK?

I've got a 76 Cj5 with the I-6 and upgraded the ignition to the "Team Rush" upgrade.

the Jeep runs good, so I decided to go with the "stealth HEI" module vs. cheap china made Duraspark clone mods. for reliability reasons.

At first I couldn't get it to idle. So I removed the Ballast resistor from the circuit and now have a full 12vdc going to my stock canister coil. It starts up, idles, and runs fine.

My module is mounted in an old duraspark case and doesn't seem to be heating up at all. It's harder to tell with the coil as it is mounted to the block. It seems to be the same temperature as the block is after 30mins of running or so.

But now my question is: Am I going to eventually burn up my stock canister coil? Should switch to an E-coil?

I've searched and read several threads but couldn't find a clear answer. Looks like most people just go straight to the E-coil when doing this upgrade.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

This one is pretty simple...

The HEI module is designed to work better with the E-core coil from later vehicles.
The HEI module has shorter saturation times because they all came with E-core coils and they don't take as long to saturate as canister coils do.

The best place to get a good high output E-core coil is the salvage yard.
Find a Ford vehicle from the 80s or early 90s and find the distributor, follow the coil wire back to the coil and take the coil, mounting bracket, coil wire and coil connector off the factory harness.

The coil runs about $50, the connector another $15, the bracket is virtually impossible to find aftermarket, and an extra coil wire never hurts anything...

If you get one from a salvage yard, it will run you about $5 to $10 for everything, and Ford used a very strong, very high quality coil.
They actually had issues with the module, but it was diagnosed as the coil so they went with a very high quality one trying to solve their issues....

Bad for them, VERY GOOD for us!

And you are correct, the HEI module and the coil both take a full 12 volts, NO RESISTOR!

Just make sure your module has a good 'Heat Sink' connection,
The heat transfer paste you get from Radio Shack is much better than the dielectric grease they send with the modules,
And make sure the module sets flat on something so the heat can transfer from the module efficiently.

I think you will be happy with this arrangment.

'76 shouldn't have had a factory resistor (Prestolite Ignition), so someone has added it to your harness, good thing you removed it!
Starves the coil even more for current and weakens the magnetic saturation of the coil...

Anything else you need to know?

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #3 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
dirtrail

So, should my canister coil be fine in the long run or should I still pursue an E-coil set up?

Because it seems to run quite well right now. No starting issues even like some people have. I also read that to take full advantage of the E-coil I have to run at higher rpms or have a V8.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-2011, 09:58 PM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

You are doing fine with the canister coil, just not putting out all it could if you had an E-core coil...
E-core coils are preferred, but not a requirement.

I like to squeeze every last bit of performance out of my system, that's why I go with E-core coils.

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
dirtrail

Cool, that answers my question. I have a reason to go check out the local u pull it now.

Thanks Jeephammer.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM
JeepHammer
Web Wheeler
1973 CJ5 

Junk yard runs are my favorite 'Man Days' to have...
They rank right up there with the gun range and motorcycle riding with the guys!
You never know what you will find or where it will come in handy...

More than half my Jeep is put together with 'Junk Yard' parts!
The factory used some very high quality electrical relays, some of them are even water proof,
Nothing like finding an air intake bonnet from a late '80s Cadillac, the start of a home made snorkel kit,
Those under hood lights from some of the pickups are always a good thing to have if they are in reasonable condition,
Like I said, you just never know what you are going to run into!
Kind of like Christmas when you were a kid, minus the socks and underwear, strange home made sweaters from relatives!

I usually keep an eye out for things I break/smoke on a regular basis,
I'm real good about killing cigar lighters, can't keep one without it rusting up, so I find extras... They can quit one a day for the next year and I'll still have replacements!

REMEMBER,
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in