starter? please take a listen - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

starter? please take a listen

Good afternoon,
I'm almost certain this sounds indicates a starter going bad as I turn the ignition but a confirmation from the Pros would be great before I run out and purchase one. I would say this noise it starting to happen about every 7th time I try to start the CJ up. One time it happened 3 times in a row but hasn't happened since.

Thanks guys,
Shawn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Im gonna say starter on this one. Either the starter gear isn't pushing all the way out or the gear is stripped/ possible broken. Could be a solenoid on the starter too since you say it happens intermittently but I would check all wire connection for safe measures.

If you do pull the starter, check your flywheel or flex plate (if automatic) for any damage or missing teeth

also might want to look into the battery too. Might not have enough amps to crank it

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Deer-Slayer_5,
It is a manual and I just replaced the battery not too long ago. Where do I check the fly wheel? The fly wheel is located as part of the starter or it would still be part of the Jeep once the starter is removed?

post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 07:31 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
sounds alot like you are getting a bad section on the flywheel.

there is two ways to check the flywheel is.

1) remove the inspection shield in front of the bellhousing. then can see alot more of the flywheel. then turn the engine from the harmonic balancer bolt to see all of the flywheel.

2) is remove the started and inspect through the starter the same way. only good thing is you can check the starters gear this way.
i would go through the inspection cover and pull the starter. norm both gears get messed up if one is.

if the flywheel gear is shot the best thing is do a complete clutch change since its apart. flywheel,clutch kit, throw out fork and anything that can oly be changed while apart.

oldschool
post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 PM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I suffered with my starter making the same sounds for 2 years, gradually going from intermittent to nearly constant. It would always engage, but sometimes took 5 tries!
In my case, it was the gear on the starter itself, becoming more and more stripped. Initially, it was just the leading edge of the starter gear, eventually the teeth were damaged about 1/2" from the front side of the gear.
I bought a rebuilt starter for cheap, and carefully inspected the ring gear on my flywheel. Hasn't made any grinding since, and starts flawlessly now.
Oh, and I bought a new gear from Rock Auto that I installed on my old starter...that gear cost about $12.

1977 CJ5 is a CJ build ever really done?
2002 TJ gone
2005 TJ also gone
2005 LJ insurance wreck
post #6 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Thats the sound the gears makes when the bendix doesn't push the gear enough to make full contact with the flywheel. Some time the bendix gets trash on it which is my guess seeing how it only does it from time to time. If it was a huge voltage drop at the solenoid then it would do it almost all the time. Does the starter spin the motor normally once it engages, if so then the starter has the right speed and power going to it.
Attached Images

post #7 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 06:44 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi, that's not the sound of the bendix it make more of a zing sound. that sounds more like starter flywheel alignment or bad teeth in starter or flywheel. if it does NOT turn the motor when doing this then I'd say starter. if bad teeth in flywheel you would have to rotate the motor by hand a little to get teeth in alignment with starter teeth. But if it makes that noise a few times then connects and starts it then the starter is bad..
good luck
tim
post #8 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Really appreciate all the help as always folks. Such smart people on here. I bought a starter and will give that a try first. Just starting to get my feel around the CJ but the starter doesn't sounds too bad to change out.
THanks again.
Shawn
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi be sure and check the teeth on the fly wheel while you have it out.. as well as pulling the inspection plate on the bell housing.
good luck
tim
post #10 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Well, I changed out the starter last evening and that went surprisingly well for my first starter change out. I did take a look in at the flywheel and saw a few of the teeth were chewed up. I'm not sure how chewed off they have to be to be noticeable? After I changed the starter, I fired it up about 6 times and no more noise. I will keep my fingers crossed. I did find it interesting that the sound of the Jeep is a bit different with a new starer. I suppose they are all manufactured a little different and each have their unique sound.
Picture of a few of the flywheel teeth below. Hopefully I won't have to have it changed for a while. we will see.
Attached Thumbnails
Image-1.jpg  
post #11 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 12:17 PM
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Ouch, those teeth don't look that good. Maybe it was a mix of both a failing starter and it chipping away at the teeth of the flywheel. Now with a strong starter it engages all the way and will disguise the chipped away teeth. Fingers crossed for you.

PNW Represent
post #12 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

sman,

Your flywheel always stops in one of 3 positions when you turn the engine off, due to the compression cycles of the pistons. Therefore, your starter will always initially engage with one of those 3 positions during startup. This causes additional wear on the flywheel teeth in those 3 areas. An old trick is to remove the flywheel ring gear, rotate it 60 degrees, then re-install it. That will give you fresh teeth at the 3 areas of engagement. Or just replace the ring gear with a new one.

As is, you will continue to wear the same teeth in the same three spots on the flywheel, which will also prematurely wear the starter gear. I highly recommend you address your worn ring gear sooner than later, unless you enjoy replacing starters.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys.
Matt, when you say, "address the ring gear", is the synonymous with the flywheel or are those 2 separate things? I don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to change out a full fly wheel, because, from folks above, it sounds like it's right in the middle of many other pieces that I might as well change out if i've gone that far.
The, adjusting the ring gear, and rotating 60 degrees seems like an easier, and cheaper, win.
Otherwise, can anyone estimate about how much it would run at a mechanic shop to have it replaced with a new one? We talking thousands because it requires taking so much apart?
Shawn
post #14 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The ring gear is the "teeth" that you see on the flywheel. It's a separate piece that installs around the perimeter of the flywheel.

Replacing the ring gear on the flywheel isn't particularly difficult, but it's accessing the flywheel that involves a bit more mechanical skills and muscle.

We could walk you thru it, I'm sure, but you may be better off having a shop do it.

Matt

post #15 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

If you had to ballpark it, how much would it approximately be at a shop, being as involved as it is?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in