• 1 Post By Matt1981CJ7
  • 1 Post By weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2021, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Demaggg

1983 CJ7 

Garage
Stainless tailgate hinges

Has any one used stainless hinges on their tailgate? if so, what brand did you use? I realized today that the PO installed the hinges up side down. I couldn't figure out why the cables seemed way too long until I stopped and looked at an old CJ I pass on the way to work. Now that I know, it will keep me up at night so my OCD says I need to fix this. I'm thinking the allen heads and the hinges will get boogered up in the removal process as they are painted to match the body. I'm considering a set of stainless hinges so I hopefully don't have to paint anything. I found a complete set of stainless door hinges in a box of extra parts but they are pretty cheesy, thin and the welds are scary small. I cant tell where they come from but I would like to avoid this kind of junk. Has anybody found a brand thats made of good stainless and isn't junk?. Thanks ahead of time.

What a long strange trip its been...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2021, 07:05 PM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Reuse your originals. Go slow and try not to destroy them during removal.

Photos would help.
Demaggg likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2021, 09:27 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep

1981 CJ7 

I have Kentrol brand tailgate and windshield SS hinges. Very good quality, I would buy again.
Demaggg likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I have the Kentrol SS hinges, as well. They are nearly 40 years old and they still look new.

In fact, I have Kentrol SS accessories all over my CJ, and have been pleased with all of them.

Matt
Demaggg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2021, 08:00 AM
YJ94SBC

+1 for Kentrol!

I used the black powdercoated hinges for my CJ tailgate conversion, as well as for my windshield/hood/doors. Very happy with the quality!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2021, 09:57 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Are they the same thickness of the original hinge?

I have a set of SS hinges at home but they are thinner and the holes are not countersunk but the material still looks like brand new so it's resistance to rusting it very good.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 9 Old 07-29-2021, 11:16 AM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Are they the same thickness of the original hinge?

I have a set of SS hinges at home but they are thinner and the holes are not countersunk but the material still looks like brand new so it's resistance to rusting it very good.
I have kentrol SS hinges on my hardtop. they seem fine but they are not countersunk which bothers me. I need to find some OEM ones.
Demaggg likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2021, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Demaggg

1983 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
Reuse your originals. Go slow and try not to destroy them during removal.

Photos would help.
Thanks for the replies. I thought about just using stainless fasteners after I flip them. hopefully I don't pull too much paint off. Also hoping there's some paint under the hinges.
Attached Images

What a long strange trip its been...
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2021, 01:38 PM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

My Kentrol SS tailgate hinges are countersunk.

I've never compared their thickness to OEM, but they've served the purpose well, and look great for being 40 years old.

edit: not sure why the image is rotated. Sorry.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1103.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in