• 1 Post By BrutusBlue
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep
  • 1 Post By RARECJ8

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-22-2021, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Spring and Shackle Questions

Iím looking for thoughts, from the Jeep experts here, on my springs and shackles on my 78 CJ7. Let me start by saying Iím not having any handling issues whatsoever. My Jeep tracks well, and seems to ride well, given what it isÖ All of the suspension work was done by the PO, and quite honestly, Iím not sure how much is stock and how much has been changed. My shackles have pretty thick side plates, with a welded in center bar (aftermarket?). The bolt center to center is approximately 4Ē. I know I have body lift spacers, ~1Ē or so, but do I have a chassis lift? Also, my front, pass side spring has a leaf that looks slightly out of position (see pics). Is this a big deal? Can it be repaired? I canít really tell if the bushings are in need of replacement. Is there a good way to tell? If any other pictures would help, I can supply them. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

John

Attached Thumbnails
74F434DF-4E96-4AD8-8C1A-00F7F293CC1F.jpg   59C52BE5-712E-422C-BA7B-CA62964BABDF.jpg   E7B8DDDE-5B31-4FB0-97C2-2AFDA514F38C.jpg   B3A9DF5C-6B69-45E1-891C-51B425FF37B2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2021, 09:31 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Yes, those are aftermarket shackles and they give you about 1/2" of suspension lift as well as more flex. Factory shackles were 3" bolt to bolt. Your bushings look to be poly so that's a good thing. Jack up your Jeep by the frame while you watch the springs and shackles. They should move as the springs droop. If not your shackle bolts may be a bit too tight. The nylock nut only needs to be around 20-25 ft/lbs so that your suspension can cycle, which gives a smoother ride.
While your Jeep is suspended with the tires just starting to want to leave the ground you should be able to take a hammer and tap that leaf back into place. It's not out enough to hurt anything, they do move slightly in certain situations during full droop but the clamp keeps them from going too far out of alignment.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-23-2021, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Yes, those are aftermarket shackles and they give you about 1/2" of suspension lift as well as more flex. Factory shackles were 3" bolt to bolt. Your bushings look to be poly so that's a good thing. Jack up your Jeep by the frame while you watch the springs and shackles. They should move as the springs droop. If not your shackle bolts may be a bit too tight. The nylock nut only needs to be around 20-25 ft/lbs so that your suspension can cycle, which gives a smoother ride.
While your Jeep is suspended with the tires just starting to want to leave the ground you should be able to take a hammer and tap that leaf back into place. It's not out enough to hurt anything, they do move slightly in certain situations during full droop but the clamp keeps them from going too far out of alignment.
Thank you, Renegade82! Thatís very helpful information. Much appreciated!

John

post #4 of 13 Old 06-24-2021, 02:51 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

The shackle length is not a big issue. You will lose a little bit of caster. They are only 1" longer than stock and are indeed much more substantial.

The springs themselves are also not stock. They look pretty nice.

However, the bolts should protrude through a Nyloc at least 1 1/2 threads to get that locking action. Those do not look like they are.

They should also be greasable as those IMO horrible plastic bushings have no give and need to be greased to slip around.

It also looks that the bottom bolts have been over torqued and bent the shackle. The shackle bend is nothing to worry about, but I would certainly check out those bolts and torques and grease.
InjectedCJ7 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #5 of 13 Old 06-24-2021, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The shackle length is not a big issue. You will lose a little bit of caster. They are only 1" longer than stock and are indeed much more substantial.

The springs themselves are also not stock. They look pretty nice.

However, the bolts should protrude through a Nyloc at least 1 1/2 threads to get that locking action. Those do not look like they are.

They should also be greasable as those IMO horrible plastic bushings have no give and need to be greased to slip around.

It also looks that the bottom bolts have been over torqued and bent the shackle. The shackle bend is nothing to worry about, but I would certainly check out those bolts and torques and grease.
Thanks BagusJeep! Iíll get a new set of bolts and Nylocs. I pressed on the bushings with a screwdriver, and they feel soft, like they are rubber. Might be best to just replace all the bushings, while Iím at it. Is there a specific brand, or type of bushing you recommend?

John
post #6 of 13 Old 06-24-2021, 05:48 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

If you are considering greasable shackle bolts and new bushings then you will need to know what size bushing you have now so you can order the correct size set. There two different bolt sizes. The bushing and greasable bolt sets usually come with a metal sleeve that inserts inside of the bushing that will prevent you from over tightening the bolts, on most shackles.

As far as moving your leaf back in place, which doesn’t look too necessary in my opinion, be careful when you tap the leaf over. Hard smacks with a 4lb hammer while the leaf is under load can cause the plastic spacers in between your leafs to split in half and come out.
InjectedCJ7 likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-24-2021, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBlue View Post
If you are considering greasable shackle bolts and new bushings then you will need to know what size bushing you have now so you can order the correct size set. There two different bolt sizes. The bushing and greasable bolt sets usually come with a metal sleeve that inserts inside of the bushing that will prevent you from over tightening the bolts, on most shackles.

As far as moving your leaf back in place, which doesnít look too necessary in my opinion, be careful when you tap the leaf over. Hard smacks with a 4lb hammer while the leaf is under load can cause the plastic spacers in between your leafs to split in half and come out.
Thanks BrutusBlue. What is a good source for the greasable bolts and bushings? I took the weight off the spring and tapped the leaf over a bit. I donít think I damaged the spacers, but Iíll take a look. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Regards,
John
post #8 of 13 Old 06-25-2021, 12:08 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Interesting that they are soft with a screwdriver. Elastomeric bushings do not need greasing so you need to sort out what you actually have and whether it is serviceable.

They do not look stock so measure carefully, work out what they are, what they should be, and have a look around. If you can work out the make of spring, that would be helpful.
InjectedCJ7 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #9 of 13 Old 06-25-2021, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Interesting that they are soft with a screwdriver. Elastomeric bushings do not need greasing so you need to sort out what you actually have and whether it is serviceable.

They do not look stock so measure carefully, work out what they are, what they should be, and have a look around. If you can work out the make of spring, that would be helpful.
Good points. I think I will pull one of the bushings out to measure and identify. I believe that if I jack up the frame just enough to take the load off the wheel, I should be able to remove one shackle safely, correct?

John
post #10 of 13 Old 07-25-2021, 11:50 AM
thisoldjeep

Correct.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-26-2021, 06:23 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectedCJ7 View Post
Good points. I think I will pull one of the bushings out to measure and identify. I believe that if I jack up the frame just enough to take the load off the wheel, I should be able to remove one shackle safely, correct?

John
for this sort of maintenance we simply place a bottle jack between the leaf near the shackle and frame to take up the load. YMMV. good luck.
InjectedCJ7 likes this.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
Facebook: Hillís Angels 4x4 Club
post #12 of 13 Old 07-27-2021, 06:26 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBlue View Post

As far as moving your leaf back in place, which doesnít look too necessary in my opinion, be careful when you tap the leaf over. Hard smacks with a 4lb hammer while the leaf is under load can cause the plastic spacers in between your leafs to split in half and come out.
There is not sleeve on the CJ bushing sets on any aftermarket shackles that I know of. CJ bushings are 1" o.d. with a 1/2" hole and with a 1/2" bolt, as is almost always used, there is no room for the sleeve. It's the YJ bushings that use the sleeve. Those bushings are 1 1/4" O.D. with a 3/4" hole. The steel bushing is 3/4" o.d. with a 1/2" hole. This is one of the advantages to the YJ style spring swap that I really like. If you want some greaseable bolts I have them, just pm me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #13 of 13 Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Just finished up YJ conversion up front. Some hassles moving the front mount forward and wider. Rear fixed shackle hangers was cut off and new one welded in place. This is SOA application. Rubicon express makes pax for SOA specifically. They offer two types of YJ bushings, generally the small or large depending what u need, etc. took some effort but cane out nice. Now to finish the rear pack nightmare. .
Attached Thumbnails
DC689581-AC65-4691-BBA8-53543E6B2CA4.jpg   FD040D13-C90A-4394-86C5-7EECA4616C22.jpg   EF189510-6C4E-44F2-B735-95E6F95C70EE.jpg   0B0E5134-F14A-4737-B0F1-05244CBDAB56.jpg  

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
Facebook: Hillís Angels 4x4 Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in