Speedhut Gauge Install - Detailed Wiring Questions - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Speedhut Gauge Install - Detailed Wiring Questions

Hey there, I am prepping for my Speedhut gauge install and I have a few questions / things I want to confirm before I start hacking into my wiring harness. This is for the 3 gauge kit with integrate tach and it is going into an 81 CJ7. I'm not an electrician so have a lot of questions. Hopefully someone can answer all of them and this post can be helpful to others too. Here they are:

1 - Parking Brake Light - There is a black wire (#7) on the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has a black wire and a red wire.
- I believe I connect black to black, correct?
- If so, what do I do with the red wire?

2 - Fuel Level Gauge - There is a White wire (#10/Signal) and a Black wire (#9/Ground) on the Speedhut harness. The stock gauge has a pink and a red wire.
- I believe I connect the white wire to the pink wire, correct?
- Can the black ground go to any ground such as the black ground wire from the stock Tach?
- If all that is correct, what do I do with the red wire?

3 - 4x4 Indicator - There is an Orange wire (#11) on the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has an Orange wire and Red wire.
- I believe I connect orange to orange, correct?
- If so, what do I do with the red wire?

4 - GPS Hot Start - There is a Red/Black wire on the Speedhut gauge that is supposed to go to 12v constant (non-switched).
- I was going to us an Add-A-Circuit on the Fuse Box for this. Is that ok?
- What fuse location & fuse size would be good to tap & add to?

5 - Temp Gauge - The kit comes with a replacement temp sender w/ a wiring harness that connects to the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has a Purple w/ Tracer Wire.
- Do I just install the new sender, connect the harnesses, and cap off that Purple w/ Tracer Wire?

6 - Tach Gauge - There is a Yellow wire (#17) on the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has a Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire. It also has an Orange Wire and Black Wire.
- The Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire I believe are the signal wires, is that correct?
• If so, how do the stock Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire connect to the Speedhut yellow wire?
- The Orange Wire and Black Wire I believe are the ground and power for that gauges illumination, is that correct?
• If so can I use the stock Black Wire as my main chassis ground all connections (i.e. - hook it to fuel sender ground, power distro ground, inverter gauge lighting ground)?
• If so, can I use the stock Orange Wire as my main 12v dash lighting source for all connections (i.e. - hook it to power distro dash lighting 12v & inverter gauge lighting 12v)?

7 - Power Distro Cable - Can you confirm these connections are correct / appropriate:
- 12v Keyed Ignition (#14 Red) - Ok to connect to the Red wire from the stock fuel gauge?
- Ground (#15 Black) - Ok to connect to the Black wire from the stock tach gauge?
- 12v Dash Lighting (#13 White) - Ok to connect to the Orange wire from the stock tach gauge?

8 - Speed Signal Wire (#2) - This wire on the Speedhut gauge I believe is for an Optional backup speedometer sender connection. What do I do with it?

9 - OBDII Snap Connection - I assume the jeep doesn’t have an OBDII connection and this just stays unused, correct?


81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:01 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 21,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbauer210 View Post
Hey there, I am prepping for my Speedhut gauge install and I have a few questions / things I want to confirm before I start hacking into my wiring harness. This is for the 3 gauge kit with integrate tach and it is going into an 81 CJ7. I'm not an electrician so have a lot of questions. Hopefully someone can answer all of them and this post can be helpful to others too. Here they are:

1 - Parking Brake Light - There is a black wire (#7) on the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has a black wire and a red wire.
- I believe I connect black to black, correct?
- If so, what do I do with the red wire?
Red was power on the old system. Not needed. Tape it off.
Black to black..

Quote:
2 - Fuel Level Gauge - There is a White wire (#10/Signal) and a Black wire (#9/Ground) on the Speedhut harness. The stock gauge has a pink and a red wire.
- I believe I connect the white wire to the pink wire, correct?
- Can the black ground go to any ground such as the black ground wire from the stock Tach?
- If all that is correct, what do I do with the red wire?
Red wire was power on the old system. Not needed, tape it off.
The rest sounds good. But I would probably run the ground wire all the way back to the fuel sensor to get the best reading.



Quote:
3 - 4x4 Indicator - There is an Orange wire (#11) on the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has an Orange wire and Red wire.
- I believe I connect orange to orange, correct?
- If so, what do I do with the red wire?
Red wire was power on the old system. Not needed, tape it off.
The rest sounds good.

Quote:
4 - GPS Hot Start - There is a Red/Black wire on the Speedhut gauge that is supposed to go to 12v constant (non-switched).
- I was going to us an Add-A-Circuit on the Fuse Box for this. Is that ok?
- What fuse location & fuse size would be good to tap & add to?
Possibly a 3 or 5 amp fuse
Add a circuit would be great. But you could connect it to the clock terminal in the fuse box.

Quote:
5 - Temp Gauge - The kit comes with a replacement temp sender w/ a wiring harness that connects to the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has a Purple w/ Tracer Wire.
- Do I just install the new sender, connect the harnesses, and cap off that Purple w/ Tracer Wire?
Yes. Tape off both ends.

Quote:
6 - Tach Gauge - There is a Yellow wire (#17) on the Speedhut gauge. The stock gauge has a Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire. It also has an Orange Wire and Black Wire.
- The Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire I believe are the signal wires, is that correct?
• If so, how do the stock Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire connect to the Speedhut yellow wire?
They don't. Connect the yellow #17 wire to the (-) terminal on the distributor. Leave the two tach wire connected together under the dash.

Quote:
- The Orange Wire and Black Wire I believe are the ground and power for that gauges illumination, is that correct?
• If so can I use the stock Black Wire as my main chassis ground all connections (i.e. - hook it to fuel sender ground, power distro ground, inverter gauge lighting ground)?
• If so, can I use the stock Orange Wire as my main 12v dash lighting source for all connections (i.e. - hook it to power distro dash lighting 12v & inverter gauge lighting 12v)?
You could but I would probably run a ground wire to the dash and then onto the (-) post on the battery. Just in case something looses ground and doesn't try to use some part of the speedhut gauge as an possible ground path.

You could also join all your grounds together but if it was me, I'd run the ground for the fuel gauge all the way back to the fuel level sensor.


Yes, you could use the orange wire as a source for your inverter power.



Quote:
7 - Power Distro Cable - Can you confirm these connections are correct / appropriate:
- 12v Keyed Ignition (#14 Red) - Ok to connect to the Red wire from the stock fuel gauge?
- Ground (#15 Black) - Ok to connect to the Black wire from the stock tach gauge?
- 12v Dash Lighting (#13 White) - Ok to connect to the Orange wire from the stock tach gauge?
12 volt keyed to fuel gauge power is OK. Instruction manual says 5 amp so replace the 3.5 amp fuse with a 5 amp fuse.
The actual power draw is only 0.2 amps so you can probably get away with the 3.5 amp fuse.

See my comment about ground to dash and battery and not be dependent on an old ground wire.

12volt dash light orange wire should be OK.

Quote:
8 - Speed Signal Wire (#2) - This wire on the Speedhut gauge I believe is for an Optional backup speedometer sender connection. What do I do with it?
Tape it off.

Quote:
9 - OBDII Snap Connection - I assume the jeep doesn’t have an OBDII connection and this just stays unused, correct?
Correct.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Dude! You're my hero. Thank you so much for answering everything!

81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:18 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 21,160
Make sure you re-read it. I added some detail to my post.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Make sure you re-read it. I added some detail to my post.
Thanks...also when you say "Leave the two tach wire connected together under the dash."....

You literally mean to cut the Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire from the old gauge, twist the two wires together, and then tape them off, correct?

81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:26 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 21,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbauer210 View Post
Thanks...also when you say "Leave the two tach wire connected together under the dash."....

You literally mean to cut the Red Wire and a Red w/ Tracer Wire from the old gauge, twist the two wires together, and then tape them off, correct?



DON'T cut anything,
Unplug the red wires from the tach and join the two plugs in the harness together. They should plug together without any problems.
Attached Images
 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
DON'T cut anything,
Unplug the red wires from the tach and join the two plugs in the harness together. They should plug together without any problems.
Gotcha....I don't have it apart yet so didn't realize they had harnesses on each wire. So it sound like there should be a male connection on one of those wires and a matching female connection on the other. They disconnect from the gauge and plug into each other, correct?

Thanks again!

81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 04:38 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 21,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbauer210 View Post
Gotcha....I don't have it apart yet so didn't realize they had harnesses on each wire. So it sound like there should be a male connection on one of those wires and a matching female connection on the other. They disconnect from the gauge and plug into each other, correct?

Thanks again!
Exactly !!

Did you get an matching Speedhut tach or did you get the tach in the Speedhut gauge?

If you had a OEM tach and are using the Speedhut integral tach, how are you filling the hole?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 12-16-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Exactly !!

Did you get an matching Speedhut tach or did you get the tach in the Speedhut gauge?

If you had a OEM tach and are using the Speedhut integral tach, how are you filling the hole?
Thanks...I got the tach that is installed in the speedo gauge. To close up the holes I bought a new dash panel which doesn't have clock or tach cutouts. The new dash is fully powder coated though, so I'm concerned about anything that may be grounded from its housing to the dash panel. I know that was the case with the stock speedo cluster, but with the Speedhut gauges, per your suggestion, i'll install a ground bus on the firewall and connect the gauges to that, so that won't be an issue. Is there anything connected to the dash which needs a ground like maybe the switches for the headlight, wiper, blower, etc..?

81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 12-17-2019, 02:51 AM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 21,160
Headlight switch needs to be grounded.

If you have delay wipers, they need to be grounded.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 12-17-2019, 08:06 AM
cdt540
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 311
Just a suggestion:

7 - Power Distro Cable - Can you confirm these connections are correct / appropriate:
- 12v Keyed Ignition (#14 Red) - Ok to connect to the Red wire from the stock fuel gauge?
- Ground (#15 Black) - Ok to connect to the Black wire from the stock tach gauge?
- 12v Dash Lighting (#13 White) - Ok to connect to the Orange wire from the stock tach gauge?

#13 White is the lighting for the needle and the LCD display. If you take it to orange (dash lights) the LCD back light will only come on when you turn on the lights. The LCD is very difficult to see in day light without being back lit. I would take #13 White to the same source as #14 Red (12v keyed power). That way the LCD is lit whenever the Jeep is running, not just when the lights are on. The back lighting for the gauge itself is handled by #18 and #19 so it is not effected by #13.

Also, I would take the 12v dash lighting (white) out of the inverter to the constant 12v out of the light switch (headlights), not to orange (dash lighting). The gauge lighting is LED so so it wants a constant 12v to the inverter and you dim your gauge lights there.

Chris
'83 CJ7 (258 5 spd)
Austin, TX
cdt540 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 12-17-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdt540 View Post
Just a suggestion:

7 - Power Distro Cable - Can you confirm these connections are correct / appropriate:
- 12v Keyed Ignition (#14 Red) - Ok to connect to the Red wire from the stock fuel gauge?
- Ground (#15 Black) - Ok to connect to the Black wire from the stock tach gauge?
- 12v Dash Lighting (#13 White) - Ok to connect to the Orange wire from the stock tach gauge?

#13 White is the lighting for the needle and the LCD display. If you take it to orange (dash lights) the LCD back light will only come on when you turn on the lights. The LCD is very difficult to see in day light without being back lit. I would take #13 White to the same source as #14 Red (12v keyed power). That way the LCD is lit whenever the Jeep is running, not just when the lights are on. The back lighting for the gauge itself is handled by #18 and #19 so it is not effected by #13.

Also, I would take the 12v dash lighting (white) out of the inverter to the constant 12v out of the light switch (headlights), not to orange (dash lighting). The gauge lighting is LED so so it wants a constant 12v to the inverter and you dim your gauge lights there.

Great suggestions. Thank you!

81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 12-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Colt44
Registered User
 
Colt44's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

If you have delay wipers, they need to be grounded.

John -


I recently installed the SpeedHut gauges with the separate voltmeter and oil pressure gauges. It was a little complicated, but not too bad. The integral wiring harness sure did save a lot of work!


However, I think I may have dislodged the ground wire for the delay wipers because they don't work now. Can you tell us which/what color that ground wire would be, and where/with what it should connect?


-- Thanks

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire
Colt44 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 12-21-2019, 06:24 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 21,160
I'm pretty sure it's a black one.

Name:  25232.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  47.2 KB

But it may just be the switch case that needs to be grounded in a CJ.

I'll check tomorrow


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 01-02-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
cbauer210
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 57
Just an update...I got the gauges installed this week. They work and look great! It was a pretty big job since I was restoring and retiring the whole dashboard and stereo. I’d say it took about 40 hours but I went pretty slow and took my time. Thanks for all the help!

81 CJ7 w/ AMC 304
cbauer210 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome