Something like torque steer. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-23-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
SC401
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Something like torque steer.

It would be hard to call it torque steer because the jeep doesnt go right when I hit the throttle. But when I lay off it, it will go left. The real issue happens when I'm hitting it part throttle around 30mph...a little gas goes right...no gas goes left. I can feather the throttle and it just goes back and forth.

I dont think its brake related. I checked the fronts for drag and nothing. I've checked the motor mounts and they LOOK ok. Any one dealt with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-23-2020, 06:27 PM
GP_Pete

1934 CJ7 

Garage
Just an anecdotal idea - i was having bad torque steer to the right when i let off the gas. I went through the steering and only strange were my sway bar links. I still had the stock length links on there after 2.5 lift. Well - bought some extended links, installed, and my torque steer reduced about 85%. Not total fix , but much much better than it was. Sont even notice it now.
Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 CJ7
AMC 360
post #3 of 32 Old 05-23-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
SC401
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Garcias. I'm looking for all kinds of food for thought.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 05:36 AM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Rear locker? They can get tempermental if your tire pressure is uneven, or one side tire is worn more than the other.
Cutlass327 likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 07:24 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

have you checked or re torqued your suspension ever. also like skizriz a mechanical locker in the rear will act all funny if the tires have a difference in diameter. years ago i had a detroit in one of my old jeeps. had to keep the tire pressure really close and sometimes adjust to keep the diameter the same.

oldschool
post #6 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Does the steering wheel pull (front axle) or the Jeep pull (rear axle)?

Other than stated above
Bad anchor bushing(s)
Broken spring center pin/loose spring plate

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #7 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM
WadeHiersSr

I wonder if this could be a symptom of caster out of whack? Do you happen to have a shackle lift? if you go too high with the shackles, it can alter the caster of the steering knuckles. If they get too far out of line, it can result in the wheels turning out instead of centering.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
SC401
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Ots a quadratrac so no locker. Has a 2.5 inch lift. All the suspension is torqued to spec.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
SC401
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Jeepdaddy. I guess you would say the jeep pulls and I use the steering wheel to correct it.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Part time kit in the QT or still full time? How much does the front end rise when you get on the throttle? Fulltime can do some funny front wheel drive type torque steer when the front end unloads. You can see how it acts with the front shaft out and in emergency drive. Just like being in 2wd.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #11 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
SC401
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Fourtrail. No part time kit. Help me understand how removing the front drive shaft could isolate a problem. Wouldnt putting power to the rear still cause it to torque to the right on throttle? But I guess most torque steer issues show up in front wheel drive cars huh?
post #12 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 08:46 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Are all of your wheel bearings in good shape and adjusted properly so there is no slop? Are the ball joints tight as well? You said suspension was torqued to spec. That would suggest all the spring bushings & shackles fit tight and there is no slop or shackle lean. It seems like something is loose or worn to allow the direction change.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #13 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Jeepereno
1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought my beat up old yj it did that when I took it on a test drive. The steering itself was ok and it didn't really pull to the side on acceleration but it pulled rather violently to the left if memory serves when I let off the gas pedal.

I have had a bunch of beater vehicles in various states of disrepair due to economic challenges, plus i just like figuring stuff out. Because of this experience driving wrecks I recognized it immediately as broken motor mounts. The mounts were still holding the engine up but with rubber deteriorated, cracked, and gone it would shift so much in mounts it would cause the vehicle to pull when letting off gas. Now this jeep i bought had multiple other issues, old and worn out everything but just replacing motor mounts caused issue to disappear almost completely.

I used to have a 1964 buick special with 310 v8 and two speed automatic. Broken motor mounts caused the throttle linkage to lock up under heavy acceleration and it wouldn't unlock until it shifted to second. Wait wait there is more, it wouldn't lock if you accelerated very gently but if there were a hill or you just gave it too much gas it would lock. Also the shifting linkage was all messed up so i just disconnected it and bailing wired it stuck in drive so no reverse, park on the street facing downhill at the corner so no one can park in front of you and good to go. You still had to hold the shift lever in neutral or park to get the vehicle to start but it was in gear and going, and really going if you gave it too much gas until about 25 mph where it would shift. Once I learned to operate it like that it was no problem, drove it like that for years until it finally died and I scrapped it, this was years ago before they were collectible at all.
post #14 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 09:30 AM
Jeepereno
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And if you like that story wait til you hear about my 1969 toyota corona, yes corona just like the virus. My next door neighbor was taking care of old lady who had the car, after neighbor bought it she loaned to brother who had some sort of accident so then it came to me cheap. Lots of issues but when I went to change the oil and couldn't get the drain plug off (busted a craftsman ratchet with the cheater pipe) I decided to see how much it could take before it died. I have been a toyota fan ever since, vehicle was almost indestructible.

I used the car off road like a rally car and crashed into multiple things on purpose just to see what would happen, also jumped it many times and on landing the fan would hit the radiator and cause leaks, after cleaning out 3 counties of auto wreckers used parts I got a radiator out of a 1948 chevy 1-1/2 ton truck in my neighborhood and baling wired it to the front of the grill, it wouldn't fit in engine compartment and eliminated fan altogether. worked fine as long as you didn't sit still for too long in warm weather and no more holes in radiator on landings.

One of the things I did was turn in to a phone pole or street sign after front end got by it, to sideswipe on purpose. Guard rails worked pretty good too but chain link fence was a mistake, something got stuck and then spinned me around and got all wrapped up in chain link. Also whenever the metal would rub on tires from wrecks I removed excess dented sheet metal with a rigging axe, leaving lots of sharp edges to get caught in chain link, should have known...

The car was a baby blue and completely unrecognizable, I put BMW insignia on it so it looked like I thrashed an expensive car. My friends named it "the war car" because it looked like it had been through a war, and it had with me! Again another vehicle I drove on the street for years until finally so many fix it tickets I sold it to a friend still running for $50 and he drove it until he got so many tickets... incredibly tough vehicle! I think i did have to put a clutch in it but it ran like a striped ape on dirty oil for years.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC401 View Post
Jeepdaddy. I guess you would say the jeep pulls and I use the steering wheel to correct it.
So it sounds like an issue with the rear axle. Either a locker, mismatched tires, loose suspension (axle shifting), loose axle bearing, bent mainspring, or misaligned axle.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in