Softest Shock for 4/4.5" Lift? - JeepForum.com
 12Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-28-2020, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Softest Shock for 4/4.5" Lift?

Have a 4.5" RE HD Lift that came with my Jeep courtesy of the POs.

Not sure what shocks are on there but they are stiff. Mostly a DD but with these, I don't need a sway bar and corner like on rails. Needs more lean. Problem is when I hit sharp bumps at speed (45-65) which can throw the vehicle around. Not safe.

Appear to be same color as RE's but there's no markings or stamps except for a 1268 on the bushings. Center-to-center fully extended is 24" and compressed is around 18". Center of stud-to-stud is 21.75" in the rear and 20.75" in the front.

Took a short drive without the shocks and it drove great so I'm looking for the softest shock that will fit a 4" lift. So far been viewing the Rancho 9000 series so I could always adjust but I just don't know.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200926_095922258.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-28-2020, 11:18 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Shocks are like tires, ask for a recommendation, and leave the post open long enough, and you'll get almost every make/model brought up.

My input is this; while overly stiff and/ or incorrect length can affect a shock, spring pack size, rate, and tire construction/pressure affect it as much/more.

That said, I have heard good results by people using the 9000's, and also heard of good results from the bilstein 5100

Hoss
Cutlass327 likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #3 of 24 Old 09-28-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Yes and as I had expected.

As I had noted, I drove without the shocks and the ride was good and where I would want it, except for the extra bounce of course. It had a nice smooth ride so the shocks are the problem.

After some more reading, I've found nothing but great reviews of the DT-3000s except from those wanting a stiffer ride so I'm leaning that direction. Best relatable description has been that they are equivalent to RS-9000s set on position 2.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I hear you, I meant most peoples perception of ride and shock recommendations are based on variables other than the shock itself.

I've no experience with the DT 3000, but again, I've yet to hear anything bad about them either.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #5 of 24 Old 09-29-2020, 09:18 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI What kind of tires are you running? if you are running big fat tires try dropping the air pressure some.. with big tires and a light rig over inflated tires can cause some hard rides.
just a thought
good luck
tim
post #6 of 24 Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R View Post
Took a short drive without the shocks and it drove great so I'm looking for the softest shock that will fit a 4" lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
HI What kind of tires are you running? if you are running big fat tires try dropping the air pressure some.. with big tires and a light rig over inflated tires can cause some hard rides.
It's not the tires nor the springs. It's the shocks.

BTW, if you want to know about someones vehicle, you can click on the info link below their name.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-30-2020, 06:56 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

your best bet is probably be a cheap set of china made house brand shocks that are made for like quadratec or rugged ridge. if they are stiff they wont be for long knowing the quality of china products.

oldschool
post #8 of 24 Old 09-30-2020, 07:03 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:

BTW, if you want to know about someones vehicle, you can click on the info link below their name.

That only works if they fill out the vehicle description. Not everyone does, and more don't than do...

As for the shocks, get hydraulic shocks, AKA "oil filled", not the gas charged. Gas charged shocks put pressure on the shock, making it harder to compress, therefore they harder hitting on bumps.
pedal2themetai likes this.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300 TerraLow 4:1 kit, '86 D30/D44 3.54 WT axles w/Aussies, 'glass body, 33x12.5 ProComp A/T, TDK galv'd frame, 2.5 OME YJ lift - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Inexpensive shocks made for automotive applications. There are a wide variety of them out there. You can do a search, as this subject has been covered extensively

Quote:
As for the shocks, get hydraulic shocks, AKA "oil filled", not the gas charged. Gas charged shocks put pressure on the shock, making it harder to compress, therefore they harder hitting on bumps.
X2

Quote:
Tires filled to the max pressure can add to ride harshness. The suggestion was to lower pressure, making the ride softer. This can be done alone or in conjunction with softer shocks to improve the ride.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #10 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Tires filled to the max pressure can add to ride harshness. The suggestion was to lower pressure, making the ride softer. This can be done alone or in conjunction with softer shocks to improve the ride.
Mine aren't filled to the max pressure, in fact, if I go any lower they'll be flat, ya happy?
post #11 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
That only works if they fill out the vehicle description. Not everyone does, and more don't than do...
Yes but it's an easy click with your mouse to check. If they're too lazy to click a mouse, how are they going to be able to work on a CJ and give good advice? I find more and more members trying to rack up their post count and 'likes' so they can beat their chest than actually reading through what someone took the time and care to write.

I'm not a regular poster but have been a member for a long time. I took my time in reviewing my own vehicle that I've owned for quite a while. I've studied and tested it over and over again, reviewing the suspension, springs, tire pressure etc. I implied this by saying that I took a drive without the shocks and it was great. Since I let everyone know that I removed the shocks from the equation and the ride was good, then it means it's not the tire pressure nor the springs but the shocks themselves. Simple equation that we use in Mechanical Engineering.

I've also searched extensively on shocks to various degrees, even to the point of trying to find their dampening factor but, personal experience over time appears to be the best judge and since most of what I found was old, I thought I would pose the question with my setup. Simple enough.
Cutlass327 likes this.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have BDS shocks on my CJ-7 and DT3000 on my XJ Cherokee. These are both air/oil hydraulic shocks. They both have good pavement ride and good off-road control. I gave away a 6 month old set of Rancho shocks that rode like a wagon, and have thrown out several sets of low budget and auto parts store generic shocks that were on Jeeps I have purchased. Bilstein shocks tend to be stiffer than most others. IMO gas charged shocks tend to be stiffer.

It is very considerate of any OP to include in the message body all the relevant info. If someone cannot be bothered post a properly composed and spell checked group of sentences with specific details, I most certainly cannot be bothered to decipher gibberish, or to play the 20 questions game for the necessary info.
Neuner-9R likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #13 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I have BDS shocks on my CJ-7 and DT3000 on my XJ Cherokee. These are both air/oil hydraulic shocks. They both have good pavement ride and good off-road control. IMO gas charged shocks tend to be stiffer.
Thanks Tim, I appreciate it. I thought the DT3000's were gas but still unusually soft in nature? Either way, as long as they are as you describe, I'd be happy with them.

I had an OME on my old XJ that was suppose to have Bilstein or equivalent but they weren't marked so I'm not sure. Might have been more the springs in that case as I had worked them pretty hard unlike the set on my CJ. Performed great in all conditions and wish I never sold it.

How do the BDS compare with the DT's? I've been emailing back and forth with Doestch but struggle to get them on the phone to order.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 09:31 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

How do the BDS compare with the DT's?
I would call them about equal. The BDS were included in a lift kit package I bought from BDS for the CJ7, and the DT3000 were bought from a buddy for the 3.5" Cherokee lift. I bought a longer set of DT3000 when I lifted the Cherokee to 5.5". I am too cheap to buy Rancho 9000, I just cannot justify the cost.
Neuner-9R likes this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 24 Old 10-02-2020, 06:39 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Mine aren't filled to the max pressure, in fact, if I go any lower they'll be flat, ya happy?
Quote:
Yes but it's an easy click with your mouse to check. If they're too lazy to click a mouse, how are they going to be able to work on a CJ and give good advice? I find more and more members trying to rack up their post count and 'likes' so they can beat their chest than actually reading through what someone took the time and care to write.
Since I let everyone know that I removed the shocks from the equation and the ride was good, then it means it's not the tire pressure nor the springs but the shocks themselves. Simple equation that we use in Mechanical Engineering.
Yup. I love a crappy response to folks giving not only good information on the question, but other factors that might influence the issue. You know, because we all know how much you researched your question on a subject that has been beaten to death on this forum.

Please feel free to disregard my input on soft automotive shocks....ya happy?
pedal2themetai likes this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in