Soft Top for CJ5 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
djc1960

Soft Top for CJ5

I have a 1982 CJ5 that had a tub replacement done some 20 or so years ago. I'm trying to locate a soft top, but just ordering a top for a 1982 CJ5 isn't working because of the way it attaches to the top of the windshield and along the bottom edge. The tub for my jeep has a rail that the material folds over and under as well as a slot that it fits in above the windshield. The snap on kind won't work. Any suggestions on what year soft top might work on this particular jeep tub.

Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1172.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-27-2018, 02:35 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Sounds like it has/had a bestop supertop or something like that on it at one time.

Usually they just unscrew and you can take the rails off.

Look anything like this?::

Can't tell on your picture
Attached Thumbnails
Supertoprails.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-27-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
djc1960

Supertop? Never heard of the supertop. What's the difference? Here's a different photo. That rail attaches to the top with screws, begins right there at the door opening and curves around the rear corner and to the other side. It has a 1/2" the material folds down and then under that lip without snaps. My wife says our '89 Wrangler that had a soft top fit on a rail similar to this. She ordered it and installed it and I never had a chance to see it before our daughter's boyfriend totaled it by running head-on into a tree.. .......It looks like I need to purchase a separate rail to conform with this top I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC1173.jpg  

post #4 of 15 Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 PM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
You don't know what a Best Top Super Top is? Basically your only option. They've been around forever and are the most complete, best quality tops that include all the hardware needed, plus doors. My buddy and I installed one on my '78 CJ5 back in 1996.

Here ya go: https://www.quadratec.com/products/31002_XX_PG.htm. This is what I would get.

Are you just looking for a basic replace a top, just the material?

This is an original style replacement/fabric only top, but it utilizes the original hardware/snaps/mounts, which obviously wouldn't work with those rails/channels. https://www.quadratec.com/products/31032_XX_PG.htm

Can you post a photo from further back so we can see the entire tub/jeep?

I haven't seen a Kayline top in 20+ years, so I forget how they mounted. There's a chance those could be Kayline rails/channels. Someone else on here could probably confirm.

post #5 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

My original top:

Bestop Supertop:
acgcoug likes this.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 07:37 AM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
My original top:

Bestop Supertop:
Love that 5.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
djc1960

I know what the best top is, the "supertop" didn't click. I don't think any of the replacement bestops are going to exactly work. I have one sitting here I ordered until I realized my tub was aftermarket. The old top had been on there for 20 or so years and finally deteriorated. I looked up that Kayline and naturally they are no longer in business. I'm going to see if I can make this bestop work somehow. It fits ok from the top of the windshield, over the top and down the back. It's just slightly short of the top of the tub rail. I just need to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the tub using the snaps. Thanks for your feedback.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Don't know were you live but a really nice hot day is the best time to put on a new top.

Is your tub fiberglass?

post #9 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc1960 View Post
I know what the best top is, the "supertop" didn't click. I don't think any of the replacement bestops are going to exactly work. I have one sitting here I ordered until I realized my tub was aftermarket. The old top had been on there for 20 or so years and finally deteriorated. I looked up that Kayline and naturally they are no longer in business. I'm going to see if I can make this bestop work somehow. It fits ok from the top of the windshield, over the top and down the back. It's just slightly short of the top of the tub rail. I just need to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the tub using the snaps. Thanks for your feedback.
You could shim the entire, or nearly the entire length of the channels that you have on there. Just get some flat stock steel in whatever thickness you need, cut to the proper width, and drill some holes. Something like this would be good, you may not even need to trim, or drill holes depending on your setup: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...ht+%7Brest%7D+

Yeah Kayline has been out of business for a long while. I haven't seen one of their tops in a long, long time. I just don't remember how they look, or attach. I'm pretty sure I recall them having a top available back in the late 90's when I put my Supertop on my old 78 CJ5. I could be wrong.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-28-2018, 12:16 PM
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

New Kayline I have.
It needs the channel across the top for the rope embedded into the seam to slide into. You can see it in the second photo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3159.jpg   IMG_3162.jpg  
post #11 of 15 Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 PM
96Grandzj360

I recently purchased a pallet of misc kayline softtop kits, hardware kits, bows, all in original boxes. A few for CJ, a few for YJs and I think one TJ . I’m having a hard time figuring out which kits are compatible with which keeps, or even to find a general value in order to sell them. If anyone’s interested, or knows where or how I can cross reference these kayline part numbers let me know! Thank you!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Best Top Supertop on my CJ5 using the same rail system you have on the jeep. You can get just the top skin if you still have the frame as well as the rails on the tub. If not their kit has it all together
Attached Images

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #13 of 15 Old 04-12-2019, 01:45 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc1960 View Post
I have a 1982 CJ5 that had a tub replacement done some 20 or so years ago. I'm trying to locate a soft top, but just ordering a top for a 1982 CJ5 isn't working because of the way it attaches to the top of the windshield and along the bottom edge. The tub for my jeep has a rail that the material folds over and under as well as a slot that it fits in above the windshield. The snap on kind won't work. Any suggestions on what year soft top might work on this particular jeep tub.
I have a Supertop on my 1980 CJ7 that attaches like that. Take a look at that.

"Johnny Cash, The Jeep in Black" Build Thread - Started 7 July, 2018

"Bad things happen to you because you're a dumba$$"
Red Foreman
post #14 of 15 Old 04-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The original thread was from Feb of 2918...

I wish he would have come back to update us with what he found. The Kayline he has looks like it was an OEM snap-on with their own brew of windshield channel.

As for aftermarket tub, that wouldn't have mattered for the top.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #15 of 15 Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM
96Grandzj360

Full doors new in the box.. if anyone is interested.. I have several other hardware kits as well
Attached Thumbnails
9CFF1C28-9C83-45C0-91A4-3048A379F7D5_1555289271491.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in