Slammed DJ5 Project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 Old 03-23-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
SlammedDJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I like the lines except that back portion of the rear door. I don't like how it "chops" the rear wheelwell off like that. I think it would flow better with a rounder wheelwell opening.. maybe something similar to the front.

I know oil pan clearance on a stock Jeep can be pretty close. On a slammed ride, it is probably going to be an issue. What are you planning for the powerplant? 502 big block would be nice. Or an aluminum LS1. Please don't say "The stock 232.. 258."
Yea I dont like the door either but that is the stock lower door. I'll probably mod it to flow better with it's less boxy new look. And actually I was planning on keeping the 232 for space reasons (need to put bags in there somewhere) but I'll be building the hell out of it either a dual 4 barrell intake or supercharger is going to happen. Aside from the space issues due to suspension It wont get driven daily so a big swap of a new engine is less economical then a custom build of an engine I'll already have on hand. that and straight 6's are reliable as hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
You sir, will be the envy of every mailman. You do realize you're required to post pics of the build?
I plan on dubbing it "Gone Postal" since that's what it is and thats what I'm doing to it. There will be photos updated as they happen from the day it gets here. I have to wait for a bit though probably a month likely. so I'm working on getting the suspension parts together (that's $3300+ alone if i cant get old company relations to sponsor it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
I hope the one yoas ur looking at is not the one you posted. I would hate to see one in that good of shape for this project. However, I'm a sucker for any project that halot of time into it. Just as a thought, (I may be putting myself into the cross hairs here) did you ever thinK of maybe starting with a Jeepster instead of a DJ?
nope I'd never start with one that was that nice. The one I'll be starting with will need sandblasted and some metalwork. And I do want to find a jeepsrer commando but that probably wont get chopped up (too much respect for those) I didn't figure on many people getting pissed about a chopped mail truck, but a jeepster might get me lynched

BTW guys if anyone has the old photos of the prototype jeep truck that was never produced in the 50's please post it for me I can't find it anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 03-23-2008, 11:22 PM
CJ Chet

1986 CJ7 

Flame On!!!!!!!!!!!

'86 CJ7
'04 AEV RUBICON
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #18 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 12:01 AM
White92

That is gonna be a cool ride, any it is your jeep do what you want to with it.

Post pics of the build!

post #19 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Jayson44
1998 TJ Wrangler 

for the doors...

http://www.youtube.com/user/disappearingcardoor

J.

98 TJ Sahara patrolling the FSRs above Denver...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #280
post #20 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 AM
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDJ5 View Post
BTW guys if anyone has the old photos of the prototype jeep truck that was never produced in the 50's please post it for me I can't find it anymore.
There was a "Jeep" truck produced by Willys (Kaiser) in the 1950s and early 1960s. Willys also produced a wagon during that same time period. Just do a Google search and you'll find plenty of pictures. Those things are becoming pretty rare, though, and finding one in restorable condition is pretty tough.

1986 Jeep CJ7 4.2L I6 T176 (restoration in progress)
1961 Willys 4x4 Wagon L-226 I6 T90 (restoration also in progress)
post #21 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

would I build one? probably not, but I'm always into someone building something different, or something cool.

build on, I say.

it's one thing to hack-up and original flattie, 5, or 7, but judging by the number of postals I see rotting away, why not. I look forward to updates on your project

here's a cleaner version of your pic, with the door edge opened up

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement

Last edited by JoonHoss; 03-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.
post #22 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Turner

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would do somethin with the front fenders and the rear quarters. do some sculpting on them. i don't think the front fenders will look good like that i would smooth them into the grill and bumper. and in the back i would put some kind of flare over the rear tire. maybe even enclose it like the old caddies. you may be onto something though... maybe...

--Turner--
2006 Jeep TJ
1982 Toyota Pickup 20r/22r Hybrid, 5.29s, Lockrite frt/spool rear, Longfields, Hysteer, discs, armor, dents, smiles.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
post #23 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

a bit cleaner topless version (lowered)

sort of reminds me of my Pa's milk truck back in the day
Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #24 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 06:21 PM
1977cj7

i like anything custom its all how you like it. thats what makes it custom.
post #25 of 38 Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
SlammedDJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
a bit cleaner topless version (lowered)

sort of reminds me of my Pa's milk truck back in the day
Hoss
I thought of that too but the problem is the doors slide straight back like on a van and that means those corner windows go with it they don't hinge like on most jeeps.

But it's great to hear that people are open to the idea. Aside from a few naysayers everyone seems to like the idea. As soon as it hits my doorstep be ready for updates and pictures.
post #26 of 38 Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM
bigjoe

1977 CJ7 

What about changing the way the doors open. Instead of siding maybe fab up hinges for the front of the door.
post #27 of 38 Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM
burtonsnowman
1984 CJ7 

Scissor doors would be the shiznit.

- Red '84 CJ-7 - I'll build it someday! I have the parts, but no shop and no time! :(
- Black '78 J-10 - rollin' on 37s and SOA with front/rear Detroits, high-steer, etc.
- Green '93 ZJ - Crusty old PARTS-GIVER TO THE CJ!
"Six in a row makes it go"
...and a driveway full of Subarus...
post #28 of 38 Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
SlammedDJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
What about changing the way the doors open. Instead of siding maybe fab up hinges for the front of the door.
The sliders are one of my favorite parts tough. they'll be nice with door poppers. push of a button and they slide right out of the way. It's just one of those personal preference things I guess.
post #29 of 38 Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

Chop the whole thing like a dry lake coupe and give yourself a 4" tall windshield. Tub the rear for some old school 50's. Keep the sliding doors but make them remote like all the vans now days. For the air supply grab a york and mount it on the motor then use a 1/2 or 1 gal tank so you don't waste time filling it. Split exhaust with flamethrowers are never out of style.
post #30 of 38 Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
SlammedDJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattyflatty View Post
Chop the whole thing like a dry lake coupe and give yourself a 4" tall windshield. Tub the rear for some old school 50's. Keep the sliding doors but make them remote like all the vans now days. For the air supply grab a york and mount it on the motor then use a 1/2 or 1 gal tank so you don't waste time filling it. Split exhaust with flamethrowers are never out of style.
You sir, Are right on the money. That is the plan. I dont know how wide I'll be able to get on the tires but there gonna be 50's styled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in