Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Side steps, nerf bars, step stool, lifting harness?

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Timaaaay83 
#1 ·
Finishing touches on my 83 CJ7 (minimal) restomod and now need to put some steps on the sides. Only added a 2" lift, but with the wife's two new hips and a new knee she's going to need some extra help. Any recommendations for something that won't be too much of an obvious aftermarket product? Thanks!

#6 ·
Love some of the comments on the links from 2012. My gal was a lot more nimble back then, as was I. Everything is really helpful and has given me some options. Any other options not mentioned would be appreciated. You people rock! Keep up the humor as well. It makes a frustrating situation more palatable.

#5 · (Edited)
Near facing the same issue with our recently purchased '81 CJ5, but has a 4 inch lift.

Getting mechanicals fixed now, but when ready to run, wife will not be able to make the leap up either and thinking of adapting electric RV steps to it!

Looking at different brands and types online, and to me, the investment will be worth it so she has no issues enjoying the Jeep as much as I do.

Costs new from around $400 for a single and up, as you add features and step count.

I will check the RV boneyard first to see what is available before going with new. Maybe a burned hulk, or weather damage like a tree fell on it, etc, and steps still good :)

#7 ·
RV steps, that's a good one and never thought of that. Have them push button operated so they pop out for use and then they go back in when not needed.

I like OEM steps myself, had them when new but threw them away after many off road excursions mangled them beyond use. Got another pair off of a forum member for a reasonable price years ago, $50, but now they are ridiculously expensive on eBay. But would still probably buy them if you can find a good deal on them. And, having both my hips replaced a few years back, it's easier then ever to get in and out of the CJ.

Attachments

#17 ·
Keith460 those are the ones I'm looking for. You got it right-ridiculously expensive. Collins has them for $300 and they need paint, tread, etc. May even be rusted through....Sigh. Anyone has a set in reasonable condition, PM me. Please. The 4 plus year saga continues.......

#10 ·
My wife from day one had problems getting in or out. I looked unsuccessfully for aftermarket steps that would work. Then one day I came home and the Jeep was missing. I asked and she replied "My brother has it." This wasn't unusual for he'd borrowed it before to get a deer out of the woods. He returned it with shop built steps. He is a commercial welder so he knew how to weld them on the frame without weakening it. They ain't pretty but are functional. After several years I too appreciate the convenience.

Last year she was going through physical therapy and at the same time was having problems getting in and out of the Jeep. Her therapist suggested we bring it to a session so she could evaluate her getting in or out of the Jeep. She made some suggestions and had her practice getting in and out. I'd made similar suggestions in the past but she listened this time. A couple of weeks ago her brother and I discussed adding a folding lower step. Getting old ain't for sissies!

Attachments

#11 ·
My wife from day one had problems getting in or out. I looked unsuccessfully for aftermarket steps that would work. Then one day I came home and the Jeep was missing. I asked and she replied "My brother has it." This wasn't unusual for he'd borrowed it before to get a deer out of the woods. He returned it with shop built steps. He is a commercial welder so he knew how to weld them on the frame without weakening it. They ain't pretty but are functional. After several years I too appreciate the convenience.

Last year she was going through physical therapy and at the same time was having problems getting in and out of the Jeep. Her therapist suggested we bring it to a session so she could evaluate her getting in or out of the Jeep. She made some suggestions and had her practice getting in and out. I'd made similar suggestions in the past but she listened this time. A couple of weeks ago her brother and I discussed adding a folding lower step. Getting old ain't for sissies!
Parking your Jeep at a Funeral Home?

#13 ·
I fabbed these up out of some angle iron to bolt to the frame, since I have a fiberglass tub. Got the CARR side steps cheap off Craigslist. Probably not what you're looking for, but maybe it will spark some ideas. Best of luck!

John

Attachments

#14 ·
I made some side steps/rocker guards out of 2x4 steel for the step and some 2x2 steel for the legs to the frame. A plate welded on the ends of the legs bolt to the frame. They stick out enough so that the body only covers half of the width, this pucture they look like the whole 4" surface is outside the body. The gap is large enough to allow my toes to go under the body.

Attachments

#15 ·
I made a set of these for a friend on mine's father in law that was having problems getting in and out of his YJ. He wanted them so they could be welded onto the frame but they would have also have had holes in the flanges and bolted on. The expanded metal step makes for a very good non slip surface too. I used 1 3/4" x .120 dom tubing.

#18 ·
#19 ·
#22 ·
I made a set of nerf bars from 2x4 square tubing mounted to the frame with 2x2 square tubing. The 2x4 is about half under the body, half sticking out so that it does a good job of protecting the fiberglass body. I then welded a piece of 3x3 10" long angle iron under the nerf bar, and added non skid tape to keep from slipping.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Those work great until you drive off and leave them behind. Nothing is worse than a woman who is mad because she can't get out and expresses her displeasure all the way back home.

There is a direct correlation to her inability to climb in or out and his ability to remember anything.

#27 ·
A guy I know has the same setup. The end is held by the front bolt for the seat bracket. Once he gets in, he can reach down and pull the stirrup in the door and it lays on the floor beside the seat. No welding or permanent modifications required and nobody would even know its there while driving.

I've also seen people use a piece of rebar bent it onto an "S" shape... top hooks onto the tub and the bottom hook is the step

#26 ·
Found those steps for sale from a Scrambler forum member. Just got delivered today. Next to do item is to sandblast and paint and then figure out how they can be attached.

I seem to remember some pics of the attachment points from you in a long ago post, but the photos somehow weren't in focus. If that was you and you still have the pics, can you re-post or PM me? Thanks.

#29 ·
I seem to remember some pics of the attachment points from you in a long ago post, but the photos somehow weren't in focus. If that was you and you still have the pics, can you re-post or PM me? Thanks.
I had made an edited photo with exact dimensions but can't find it now. Perhaps on my Home/Office computer or Photobucket, both of which I do not have access to at the moment. Photobucket is chit now.

They were posted here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/oem-side-steps-1397674/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.