Should I sell my beloved Jeep? - JeepForum.com
 90Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
jd21476
1983 CJ7 

Should I sell my beloved Jeep?

I am seriously on the fence on this one and just want some opinions. I have owned my 1983 CJ-7 for about 6 years. I love my Jeep but find that I am not driving it or using it as much anymore. I currently have a 3 other newer cars, a Harley, an airplane, and two jet skis. The Jeep has one of the spots in my 3 car garage with my wife Honda Odyssey and my Harley taking up the other two. My Toyota Tacoma and Honda Insight park outside. My son is turning 16 and I have been shopping for a car for him and the trouble I am having is the idea of having another car in the family. I would give him the Jeep but he doesn't like Jeeps....yes, I know, I was sad too. It would also be nice to use the money towards buying him a car he wants/likes.

I commute to work with the airplane by driving my Tacoma to the airport an then flying to work and then use the Honda Insight to commute from the airport on the other end to my office and to grab lunch, etc, while at work. So I wont sell one of them.

Ive driven the Jeep twice in the last month and that was basically to pick my daughter up from school which is like 3 miles away. Every time I think I should sell it I always withdraw but then tell myself that I can always get another some day.

The Jeep:
1983 CJ-7
Recently rebuilt i-6, 258 with Howell fuel injection (fresh smog)
rebuilt transmission
twin stick transfer case
Full custom roll cage
front and rear lockers
new Detroit rear LSD
Full floating rear axles
4" suspension lift
35" tires
Full soft top and doors, excellent condition
Engine driven tire compressor pump
Bikini top
A stack of receipts from the last 15 years
Everything works

She does need a paint job as the current dark green is peeling although it was always ok for me and I had no plans to paint her that way if I took her offroad I wasn't worried about scratching a new paint job.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep CJ7.pdf (1.10 MB, 119 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sheesh! Let the kid buy his own car, if the CJ isn't good enough for him. At least, that's how it was when I was growing up. ;-)

Seriously, what do you think the consensus will be amongst a bunch of CJ enthusiasts?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Sheesh! Let the kid buy his own car, if the CJ isn't good enough for him. At least, that's how it was when I was growing up. ;-)

Seriously, what do you think the consensus will be amongst a bunch of CJ enthusiasts?

Matt
Matt I would have just hot the like button on your post but that just doesn't seem to be enough. I'm in total agreement with you.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #4 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jim,

Thanks. I know it's a different world we live in today, with kids living off their parents well into their 20s and even 30s, but not all change is good, IMO.

When I was 16-17, buying your own car was a badge of honor. The "rich kids", whose parents bought cars for them, were teased and mocked for being spoiled.

My Father was always willing to let me borrow his CJ, but giving it to me was out of the question. That was his CJ. When I desired my own ride, I bought a used VW Rabbit with my own hard-earned money. Even after my Father died, and I expressed an interest in his CJ, my mother made me pay the market value for it.

Different times indeed.

Matt

post #5 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 PM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

Totally agree with the buy or work for your own vehicle. The ONLY way anyone is going to appreciate anything in life is if they had to work for it.

It is a strange new world though....

As for selling your CJ. I don't know, I've sold one. About 3 hours later I was wishing I had another.
Matt1981CJ7 and w6pea like this.
post #6 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 02:45 PM
abark
1985 CJ7 

Unless there is something seriously disappointing to you about your current jeep I think you need to consider how much it would take to bring another (purchased later) to the same or similar condition. After that I agree with the others, make the kid work for his own. You can help him however you wish but in the end he will treat it better if he has to work for it.
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.
post #7 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Dwight_C

1956 CJ5 

Garage
You didn't mention you using the Harley or the jet skis in your story. Get rid of those and keep the Jeep. You'll likely get more money out of selling those than selling the Jeep. After you do that and have all that cash in hand, throw it at the Jeep and make your kid buy his own car.

'75 CJ-5 350/SM465
post #8 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 04:15 PM
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Agree with everything mentioned above. I understand the predicament but any time I've lost interest in something, the moment I've sold it (especially a vehicle), I instantly regret it. I can think of a few cars from my younger years I'd give up important body parts to have back. I've realized that my interest in vehicles has never changed, only fluctuated in intensity. Sometimes the mind just needs a break and you come back to it later.
post #9 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 04:24 PM
NOBOLT

Garage
be careful guys....telling your child to "work for their own vehicle" might be child abuse these days
Jim1611, Dodger60, w6pea and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Trapshooter
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

How much do you want for it?

I could bring my trailer down and free up some garage space for ya!

'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build:
post #11 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 04:49 PM
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

ahhhhh, no! wait, let me think about that, yup, no again...
w6pea likes this.

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
post #12 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I just can’t imagine the sense of entitlement that causes a 16 year old kid to decline a vehicle that is being gifted to him. Especially when that vehicle is as cool as a CJ.

Sorry, OP, but your story just rubs me the wrong way.

Matt
Dwight_C, bob4703 and BrutusBlue like this.
post #13 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Jim,

Thanks. I know it's a different world we live in today, with kids living off their parents well into their 20s and even 30s, but not all change is good, IMO.

When I was 16-17, buying your own car was a badge of honor. The "rich kids", whose parents bought cars for them, were teased and mocked for being spoiled.

My Father was always willing to let me borrow his CJ, but giving it to me was out of the question. That was his CJ. When I desired my own ride, I bought a used VW Rabbit with my own hard-earned money. Even after my Father died, and I expressed an interest in his CJ, my mother made me pay the market value for it.

Different times indeed.

Matt
Your mom knew what was good for you by doing it that way. Wished we had more like her.
w6pea likes this.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #14 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 06:54 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

ok i admit when i was 16 i liked cj's but that wasnt what i wanted. i saved and found a nice 69 340 dart gt. the funny thing i was looking for a roadrunner or a gtx when i came across the dart. sad part could only drive 9 months a year. so that is when i got my first cj5 for the winters. that is when i really started to appreciate the cj's. its a mans convertible.

plus you forgot what you drive on the weekend. you need to keep the CJ for the weekends. cj's are getting harder to find. now there all wronglers which are not the same.

oldschool
Dodger60 and w6pea like this.
post #15 of 66 Old 10-16-2019, 07:35 PM
RevScott

As a parent and holding a second major in Psychology, I will make this overall statement: the issue the nation faces with the Snowflakes and Millenials is the direct fault of their parents. Their offspring never learned any real-life responsibility, only to be offended by everything. Those kids were given everything without earning it, and look what happened. Now if you owned a family business, and he earned a vehicle through "muscle dollars" and kept track of the value of his earnings and taxable value that he had to pay the govt (part of learned responsibility) it becomes a different story. We supplied our eldest with a car, but it wasnt simply given, she worked her butt off to make it drivable and had to stay on honor roll while doing it, as she would need it at college. Her younger sister, bought a car with mom cosigning. Eldest's engine died, Mom cosigned for her too. But they had to earn paychecks and pay their own payments. Both multi majored the eldest isa teacher and not a liberal. The youngest is still in college studying Dietetics and Psychology, both have never been off the dean's list and have no use for liberal ideas. Both are accomplished Martial Artists and qualified Expert with handguns and rifles (AR and Garand) And the one that suprised me was the eldest earning a master rating with swords and sabers when she was off at college. These were their own choices but were based on their own decisions and experiences. The point of all this is the responsibility they learned. And THAT is our responsibility as parents to teach them, not take away by just handing them everything. Am I bragging? You bet I am but it was almost 30 years of raising them that gives me the bragging rights!
hatch, Jim1611, Dodger60 and 2 others like this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in