Should I get a new rocker arm kit? - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 10-02-2021, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

Should I get a new rocker arm kit?

Hey guys,

So When I had taken all my engine parts to the shop. I had the rockers and everything in order. When getting them back, they were all just mixed in a box lol.

I was just going to roll with it. However I noticed a few of the rocker arms are pretty well twisted.

I was thinking about just grabbing new rocker arm bridges since they are cheap.

However, would it be wise to just get a rocker arm kit? OR bridge and pivot only?

I am using the original pushrods, would that mean it should still just bolt right up?

Thanks for any suggestions!

kov

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211002_142119196.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 10-02-2021, 07:33 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I prefer the steel sets, the aluminum ones seem to wear fast.

Insure you torque them to the correct specs.

It is OK to let them pull into place as they might be opening valves at the same time.

I dip my pushrod's both ends in oil as I put them in the holes.

Give the inside of the rockers a squirt of oil when you get finished installing.

-----JEEPFELLER
post #3 of 73 Old 10-02-2021, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
I prefer the steel sets, the aluminum ones seem to wear fast.

Insure you torque them to the correct specs.

It is OK to let them pull into place as they might be opening valves at the same time.

I dip my pushrod's both ends in oil as I put them in the holes.

Give the inside of the rockers a squirt of oil when you get finished installing.

-----JEEPFELLER
I went back out and bent all the rocker bridges , got them all pretty darn straight. Im not sure if I should get new rockers, I dont want to risk having to get new pushrods as well. I may try and use my original set.

++++ I have had horrible luck with crown and omix ada parts....

I guess my concern now is the shop having mixed all my rockers/ pivots and rods all up. Just gonna have to keep my fingers crossed!!!

Thanks jeepfeller

Kov

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 07:17 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

An engine machine shop should no better than to mix and match components on an engine. Since they did not assemble the engine I presume, they didn't care.

When I stripped my engine down to take to our local machine shop, I didn't give them my rockers or push rods. But I tagged and marked each one for each cylinder and the orientation of where and which way they went in. The push rods will have a small witness mark on them that usually is at the top. Even the original Lifters, that I didn't reuse, were marked and put in a box for each cylinder and marked with an E or I for intake or exhaust. All these parts have worn together as a set and should not be mixed from one to the other.

engineteardown-4-.jpg
406CID likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 07:43 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I installed Mopar rockers when I built my engine. You can buy kits for less money, but you get what you pay for.

Don’t assume the pushrods are the correct length, check them!

I wish I would have stepped up to roller rockers when I built this engine, and I still may…but that’s kinda off topic.
Attached Thumbnails
2657CC6F-3B5E-4B65-9A91-326A74B06AB9.jpg  

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #6 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 07:56 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Personally, I wouldn't roll the dice with a mixed matched rocker set. I've always heard that's a no-no, as Keith pointed out,.

Matt

post #7 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
An engine machine shop should no better than to mix and match components on an engine. Since they did not assemble the engine I presume, they didn't care.

When I stripped my engine down to take to our local machine shop, I didn't give them my rockers or push rods. But I tagged and marked each one for each cylinder and the orientation of where and which way they went in. The push rods will have a small witness mark on them that usually is at the top. Even the original Lifters, that I didn't reuse, were marked and put in a box for each cylinder and marked with an E or I for intake or exhaust. All these parts have worn together as a set and should not be mixed from one to the other.

Yea, they had asked me to bring everything, and I had them nicely ordered and labeled, and now thats out the window. There is some decent wear on the parts... The pushrods all look to be in great shape, and there was no milling done to the block or head so the length should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
I installed Mopar rockers when I built my engine. You can buy kits for less money, but you get what you pay for.

Don’t assume the pushrods are the correct length, check them!

I wish I would have stepped up to roller rockers when I built this engine, and I still may…but that’s kinda off topic.
Yea, looks like I have to start saving up for rockers, pivots, and bridges. Crown and Omix make sets, but im nervous going with them, I may have to tho at the price point of mopar. Ive found Melling, but out of stock a lot of places. Also Elgin has a set, but I am not aware of that company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't roll the dice with a mixed matched rocker set. I've always heard that's a no-no, as Keith pointed out,.

Matt
Yea, If I cannot find a set, I may just have to piece together a new kit.

If anyone has had luck finding a good set, let me know. Ill be pricing out buying everything seperate, I already know that is going to add up!

This is the ELGIN set, its looks pretty good. Say its for 87 up, but im thinking thats because of the no studded bridges, which i dont need anyways : https://www.amazon.com/Industries-co...ustomerReviews

Thanks guys!

Kov

post #8 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

I messaged the seller of the ELGIN set asking if they would work for my application. They said no. Apparently 1983 jeep have different rocker arms on cylinders 3 and 4? Mine are all the same, not sure what gives?

kov

post #9 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

I looked up the J3242393. The mopar and the crown ones. They say they work 83-90 4.2, and 87-06 4.0s.

The ELGIN set says its for 87 - 06 4.0s.

Wouldnt that mean it would work for my 83 258?
The rockers used in the ELGIN set is R-704, I found that it interchanges with Chrysler J3242393

I went and re-looked at all my rockers, they are all exactly the same, am I missing something, The sellers of the ELGIN set said they wont work because my 83 258 has different rockers on cylinder 3 and 4.

ELGINE has 2 kits :

RK-551-2
RK-552-2

The ONLY difference between the kits is the bridge. One is RM-1718, the other is RM-1713.

The 1718 says it fits my vehicle.

The 1713 says this : [Engine Rocker Arm Kit] C/O 1 EA. RM-1712,2 EA. R-740,USED IN CylS 3 & 4; Quantity needed per vehicle: 6

Still not finding what is different about cylinder 3 and 4.

Still digging

kov

post #10 of 73 Old 10-03-2021, 10:11 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Maybe they are referring to the studs for the plastic valve cover.

Still wild guessing they come as a two-some in the box---1 bridge, 2 rockers-----maybe "their norm" is all the same goodies in each box.

I've experienced all rockers being the same (and bridges) with (my '77---'81) having the original style stamped valve cover. Other folks having installed an aluminum cover in place of that crappy plastic one do not use the studs and all of the rockers now being the same.

Don't everybody attack me at once,

I'm speculating.

Now I'm being "For Real"!

How long was you a wanting your engine to last?

Do you keep the maintenance current?

Are you Jeep abusive?

Well I looked mine up----I have all of my rebuilding receipts---and later parts receipts too.

Looks like they came in twos

I'm pretty sure they are "Sealed Power"

They are not special for a Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, they were not recommended by a sports feller or actors

The are also not bottom of the line.

They are just Plain Jane 258 parts.

Notice the prices---are sorta old.

But most of all, by April of 1996, I was putting this together.

I had my machining done and began getting it all purchased as I could afford stuff.

The whole works sat in my foyer until I assembled it.

Then in May '96, I did a quick 6 hour engine swap, Mr. Jeep did not even realize he was down!

Moral of my story?

Daily driven with self-remanned engine 25 years and 5 months later........

And still going strong!

Will other kinds of rockers do any better? Last any longer? Must one jump off the cliff listening to others?

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
rockers napa no name.jpg  
post #11 of 73 Old 10-04-2021, 06:11 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I believe Jeepfeller is correct.

CJs with the plastic valve covers had 2 rocker bridge studs that held down the valve cover. However, IIRC, the studs were attached to cylinders 2 and 5.

I don't think there was any difference in rockers, pivots, or pushrods. The only difference was the bridges on #2 and #5 had the studs.

Matt
keith460 likes this.

post #12 of 73 Old 10-04-2021, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

Yea, I agree with jeepfeller.

That's what was confusing to me tho, as you said Matt, it's cylinders 2 and 5, where they got 3 and 4, I dunno.

Looks like I may give it a go with the ELGIN set, it at least keeps me away from crown or omix, and it's only like 100 bucks for the rockers, falcroms, and bridges.

Thanks guys

Kov

post #13 of 73 Old 10-04-2021, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

Alright, researched ELGIN and it sounds like they make decent quality rockers.

So I ordered the kit for the 87-06 4.0.

Will report as to whether they work out Or not when I get them.

Thanks

Kov

post #14 of 73 Old 10-04-2021, 05:26 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Where are Elgin rocker kits manufactured?

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #15 of 73 Old 10-04-2021, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
kovic

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Where are Elgin rocker kits manufactured?
The rockers are made in the USA, the fulcrum in taiwan, and the bridge in USA. At least thats what the boxes say.

We shall see!

Kov

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in