Shock recomendation - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
ŦtechPirk

Shock recomendation

1977 CJ5 304V8

My ride is very uncomfortable, you feel every bump in the road. This is my first jeep and this might be how they are.

I am needing a good economical (probably hard to find) options, what do you all recomend?

c82cj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 11:41 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Lots of pics please so we can see your setup and equipment
post #3 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 01:31 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

I use my jeep off road only and just purchased some Monroe Monro Matic Plus shocks to replace the 50 year old originals. They were about $22 apiece. I see that the same shocks for your year vehicle are about $112 for all 4.

I'm installing them in a couple of weeks and will let you know how they work. Please do the same with whatever you end up getting. (sorry not to be of any help at this time)

I figured my 50 year old shocks are not performing at all anymore, I'm sure yours are toast too.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans

post #4 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 03:12 PM
Fldvr

1974 CJ5 

Garage
On the advice here on the forum , I was advised to take the shocks off completely and run the CJ for a while.
The ride quality was astounding! I ended up going with the Doestch shocks from Rugged ridge since I will

be getting the YJ spring conversion when they finally get back in stock!
The Ranchos rode like a Jackhammer and were taking years off my liver and Kidneys, not to mention the

brain damage from being thrown up into the rollbar when I left the seatbelt loose!

The shocks have to be valved for a lighter spring rate of the CJ. Dont go with the expensive gas shocks!
post #5 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 04:51 PM
shadoow
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I've got an 85 cj w/258. No suspension mods. Switched from gas filled to oil filled shocks earlier this year & there was a noticeable improvement in the ride. Can't remember the brand, but got them thru Rock Auto.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 05:05 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
Both my old '77 and my current '78 are oversprung and underdampened but even the M151's I drove in the Marines were on the harsh side, after all these aren't sedans that we drive...

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #7 of 21 Old 05-12-2021, 05:17 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

BDS 5500 or DoetschTech DT-3000. My CJ-7 has BDS and they ride nice on pavement and have excellent control on the 4x4 trails. I have DT-3000 on my lifted XJ Cherokee and they ride nice on pavement and have excellent control on the 4x4 trails.

I have thrown out several sets of Monroe shocks that were too floppy, and gave away a 6 month old set of Ranchos that were too harsh on pavement and too floppy on the 4x4 trails. Don't waste your time or money on any Rough Country or Tough Country shocks.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-13-2021, 02:06 AM
1985 CJ7 

Good reasonable shocks are KYB’s. If you are looking to optimize your suspension, go with the Bilstein and spend the extra money. It would be well worth it!
post #9 of 21 Old 05-13-2021, 10:14 AM
cglax6
1976 CJ5 

I have a 76 CJ5 with 2.5" BDS lift springs. I started with some cheap Monroe shocks, and I didn't like them. Then went with Skyjacker and immediately returned them because my kidneys couldn't take it. I ended up springing for a set of Bilstein 5125s, and I'm very happy with them. I also run 20psi in my tires, so that may help you a little with feeling everything in the road if you're running higher tire pressure.
Rondawg80 likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-13-2021, 11:04 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have Bilstein 4600 gas shocks on my daily driver Cherokee because I like a bit firmer ride and more control. BDS and Doetsch ride well and give good control on pavement, but I have never tried them off-raod.

Over-inflated tires certainly can cease a harsh ride, even with good shocks. I run my 31's at 26-30 psi.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-13-2021, 07:14 PM
Rondawg80
1980 CJ5 

I agree with cglax6! I put the BDS 2.5" lift springs, and the same Bilstein shocks.
It is a whole new JEEP! For such a short rig, it handles really well.
post #12 of 21 Old 05-14-2021, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
ŦtechPirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondawg80 View Post
I agree with cglax6! I put the BDS 2.5" lift springs, and the same Bilstein shocks.
It is a whole new JEEP! For such a short rig, it handles really well.
What is 2.5" lift springs do? This is new to me? Also I do not know exactly how much I have, I have 35's, would the 2.5" shocks work?

Im also running about 30psi, Ill be dropping down to 20 psi. Shes a road queen right now.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Kyb's are a good "off the shelf" shock ...I've run those and DoetschTech, which came with my lift kit from Rocky Road Outfitters. Nice thing about the DoetschTech is you can run them in any position and they're fine. Jeeps are lightweight...really need a light duty shock to make the ride feel good.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-14-2021, 06:18 PM
Rondawg80
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ŦtechPirk View Post
What is 2.5" lift springs do? This is new to me? Also I do not know exactly how much I have, I have 35's, would the 2.5" shocks work?

Im also running about 30psi, Ill be dropping down to 20 psi. Shes a road queen right now.
The 2.5" lift springs do just that, they lift the chassis 2.5" higher than the stock leaf springs. They are also made to be more flexible and soften the ride. 35's on a CJ5 are HUGE! You probably already have a 4"lift to clear those. I am not a fan of giant tires on a CJ5, they might look mean.....but they really aren't necessary, or very safe. (again-MY Opinion). I am running 32x11.5 BFG KM2's, I LOVE THEM! just the right size, they fill out the wheel wells nicely, and don't rub.

It sounds like you have never driven a CJ before, they are a stiff, bumpy, noisy ride! But the Smiles per mile are worth it. I don't recommend airing down for street use, there are better, safer ways to smooth out the ride.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Cj7prm
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglax6 View Post
I have a 76 CJ5 with 2.5" BDS lift springs. I started with some cheap Monroe shocks, and I didn't like them. Then went with Skyjacker and immediately returned them because my kidneys couldn't take it. I ended up springing for a set of Bilstein 5125s, and I'm very happy with them. I also run 20psi in my tires, so that may help you a little with feeling everything in the road if you're running higher tire pressure.
Are the 5125s Bilstien a softer ride than Ranchero. I see several Bilstien model numbers here...does that represent different dampening, or size. I always did well with Bilstiens on our RV's, but the jeep is a whole different objective, ie, smoother, softer ride

Paul
"The right thing at the wrong price is better than the wrong thing at any price"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in