Shake when letting out the clutch - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrButterfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
svu0312

Shake when letting out the clutch

I have a 1979 CJ7 with the 304 and a 3 speed transmission. I have an issue with the jeep shaking/jerking when letting out on the clutch only after it warms up. When this happens I can sometimes press the clutch pedal in and rev the engine and it works perfect at that moment but the next stop I am right back to the same problem. It feels like the Jeep is going to stall but the shaking/jerking is enough to bounce the vehicle. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution to their problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2021, 05:18 PM
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Clutch Chatter. My 76 CJ5 did this. Its one or more of the following: worn out clutch assembly, improperly worn clutch assembly, bad transmission mount/torque stud bushing, or worn motor mounts. In my case it was all the above. Replaced all of it, no more chatter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
JEEPFELLER likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-04-2021, 06:31 PM
shadoow
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

you may have an oil leak somewhere (valve cover, rms maybe) causing the clutch disc to get oil on it. At least that's what I found when my clutch was doing the same thing; chatter when warmed up, works fine when first driving.

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButterfield View Post
Clutch Chatter. My 76 CJ5 did this. Its one or more of the following: worn out clutch assembly, improperly worn clutch assembly, bad transmission mount/torque stud bushing, or worn motor mounts. In my case it was all the above. Replaced all of it, no more chatter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Also include bad/broken body mounts.

Start by trying to lift the body at mounts forward of the t case. Pay close attention to the body around the clutch linkage.
Lift the engine slightly by the pan and see if one of the motor mounts separates.
Remove and inspect the transmission mounts.
Insure the skid plate is tight.
Insure the clutch linkage is operating properly.

Repair any discrepancies.

If all is good, then you have a clutch issue.
Disassemble the clutch. Hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate are signs of riding the clutch and can cause jutter.
Insure there is no on contamination (oil) on the assembly. If so, you will need to fix the leak.

While you can inspect the rest of the components, I would simply replace the assembly, being sure to turn the flywheel.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I had the same issue, thought it was the clutch but turned out the bolts holding the tranny to bell housing was loose.
It allowed the tranny to become a little tilted and chatter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Have you been yanking and snatching you Jeep----burning the clutch/ flywheel/ pressure plate, as in pulling a big truck out of a ditch or attempting to pull a tree/ bush out of the yard for Mama?

----JEEPFELLER
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 06:58 AM
Anotherusername

You might check the clutch linkage. That bellcrank lever that goes between the clutch pedal and the throwout lever is pretty wimpy. I've had to replace mine twice in the last 20 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in