Shackle Reversal - JeepForum.com
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-17-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
dallasalice
Registered User
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dothan
Posts: 41
Shackle Reversal

Looking to do a shackle reversal on my 83 CJ5 any recommendations on which is the best? Bolt on or Weld, Any certain brand any better?

dallasalice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 06:55 AM
pedal2themetai
Registered User
1956 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,384
No such thing as shackle reversal on a JEEP. You have to do extension .. shackels have to move so welding is NO. check out your local 4X4 shop for parts.
pedal2themetai is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 AM
Fourtrail
Registered User
1974 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,285
I like the way the w.f.o. kit puts the shackle through the frame, but you also have to convert to yj springs if you haven't already. Keeps everything up nice and tight to the frame in the front for better approach angle and doesn't give you extra lift in the front. Kit requires welding. For a pure bolt on kit, i like the one from m.o.r.e. their stuff all seems to be hd and well thought out.


https://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/CJ-Sh...ox-Mount/18881




https://mountainoffroad.com/products...anger-76-86-cj



80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
Fourtrail is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 10:15 AM
jeepdaddy2000
Registered User
 
jeepdaddy2000's Avatar
1971 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Eagle Point
Posts: 8,441
On early CJ's, shackle reversals could be done by either purchasing an M38 frame (as I did) or knocking off the existing shackle mounts and remounting them on the opposite side. If memory serves, this can be done with later models as well. There will be a serious caster issue that will have to be addressed, as the rear shackle mounts will be under the frame instead of through it, pushing the rear of the spring down.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
jeepdaddy2000 is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 12:59 PM
JoonHoss
Registered User
 
JoonHoss's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
No such thing as shackle reversal on a JEEP. You have to do extension .. shackels have to move so welding is NO. check out your local 4X4 shop for parts.
What are you talking about?

The OP is referring to reversing the shackles on the front spring of their jeep so that the front has the fixed mount, and the rear is the movable mount (shackle).

The two options are either bolt on front fixed mount, or weld on.

Hoss
STJP likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
JoonHoss is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 05:49 PM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 17,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
No such thing as shackle reversal on a JEEP.
I'm guessing that you're thinking of a shackle flip, like what is done on the rear of square body Chevy trucks to gain lift at the rear.

This is not what the OP is asking about.
pedal2themetai likes this.
CSP is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-21-2020, 02:38 PM
ddawg16
Registered User
 
ddawg16's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Bay
Posts: 693
Garage
What is the objective? A better ride with lifted springs?

I had a buddy who did one.....then later went SOA.....no comparison....SOA with stock springs worked much better.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-21-2020, 09:48 PM
jeepdaddy2000
Registered User
 
jeepdaddy2000's Avatar
1971 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Eagle Point
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
What is the objective? A better ride with lifted springs?

I had a buddy who did one.....then later went SOA.....no comparison....SOA with stock springs worked much better.

Reverse shackles articulate better when moving forward, as the spring compresses to the rear instead of having to push into an obstacle to get the springs to flatten. I've noticed a difference when negotiating sharp objects or dropping into a pothole.



They also tend to steer better (less lateral shackle movement) as the anchor bushing is closer to the steering system.



The stated downfall is supposed braking issues (springs compressing under braking), but I have never experienced any problems.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
jeepdaddy2000 is online now  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 AM
ddawg16
Registered User
 
ddawg16's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Bay
Posts: 693
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Reverse shackles articulate better when moving forward, as the spring compresses to the rear instead of having to push into an obstacle to get the springs to flatten. I've noticed a difference when negotiating sharp objects or dropping into a pothole.



They also tend to steer better (less lateral shackle movement) as the anchor bushing is closer to the steering system.



The stated downfall is supposed braking issues (springs compressing under braking), but I have never experienced any problems.
True....if your lift is not too much.

But....if you have 5-6" of lift with springs on a shackle reversal...well....it's not going to perform as well as SOA.

Key feature of SOA.....you can use stock (or custom with no lift) springs. This puts the axle at a neutral position giving the ideal steering geometry

Additionally, SOA gives about 6" of lift....and a much greater range of travel than a shackle reversal will. My shocks have a 16" travel. I haven't used all of it yet, but I'm willing to bet a shackle reversal won't come close.

I'm using stock Wrangler springs. Hence, I moved my front hangers forward about 2". I'm not running a stabilizer shock at the moment....and I don't have any fwy driving issues....even at 80+. (speedo only goes to 85...I will never admit I exceeded that)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 AM
BrutusBlue
Senior Member
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 763
Dalllasalice,

Without knowing your entire setup or intended use you will get an educated guess at best on which way is better. SRS have a place but without knowing the rest of the story answers are of zero benefit. What are plans?
BrutusBlue is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 AM
cJAY904
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 332
Mine came with a Warrior Products Shackle Reversal System already installed. I do not know what the PO was trying to accomplish, but I think he met his objective. The steering in my CJ7 is great. I am running 35" and I can drive at 65+ MPH with not worries. I can track straight with no "white knuckle" driving.

I have done some rather aggressive breaking, and did not have any issues. I hope this helps/.
cJAY904 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 01-22-2020, 11:53 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 22,262
Just FYI, one 4x4 shop owner I know won't install SRS after witnessing a CJ crash badly in MOAB on a steep descent. He said the nose of the Jeep dove down enough to cause the rear axle to hop, and the driver lost control. Other Cjs with regular suspensions negotiated the descent with no problems.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, because there are advantages, as stated. But the braking issue would be enough of a concern to prevent me from doing it.

Matt
ddawg16 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-30-2020, 09:48 PM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 17,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
SOA with stock springs worked much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
But....if you have 5-6" of lift with springs on a shackle reversal...well....it's not going to perform as well as SOA.
Worked much better. Not going to perform as well as SOA. Could you possibly be more vague/vanilla?

Comparing the characteristics for reverse shackle that jeepdaddy listed to how a spring over rig handles when wheeling is about as apples vs oranges comparison that you could make. The reasons to go with either aren't even on the same radar screen.
CSP is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2020, 10:30 AM
ddawg16
Registered User
 
ddawg16's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Bay
Posts: 693
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Worked much better. Not going to perform as well as SOA. Could you possibly be more vague/vanilla?

Comparing the characteristics for reverse shackle that jeepdaddy listed to how a spring over rig handles when wheeling is about as apples vs oranges comparison that you could make. The reasons to go with either aren't even on the same radar screen.
If you're going accuse me of being vague, at least quote all of what I said, not just part of it.

Quote:
True....if your lift is not too much.

But....if you have 5-6" of lift with springs on a shackle reversal...well....it's not going to perform as well as SOA.

Key feature of SOA.....you can use stock (or custom with no lift) springs. This puts the axle at a neutral position giving the ideal steering geometry

Additionally, SOA gives about 6" of lift....and a much greater range of travel than a shackle reversal will. My shocks have a 16" travel. I haven't used all of it yet, but I'm willing to bet a shackle reversal won't come close.

I'm using stock Wrangler springs. Hence, I moved my front hangers forward about 2". I'm not running a stabilizer shock at the moment....and I don't have any fwy driving issues....even at 80+. (speedo only goes to 85...I will never admit I exceeded that)
SR with no lift is really no better than stock setup. Springs are flat...as the axle moves up or down, it moves forward ever so slightly. SR with lifted springs does solve the issue of rough ride by allowing the axle to move back when coming under compression. But it you use stiff springs, the benefits are somewhat negated.

A Shackle Reversal is also expensive in relative terms

SOA with stock flat springs is one of the most economical lifts you can do while getting a great ride and lots of travel. When I did mine, I had the front end aligned before I welded to top spring perches.

So....to make this less 'vague'....

Shackle Reversal
1. Modify Rear Hanger
2. Weld Front spring hangers.
3. Lifted springs
4. Longer shocks.

SOA with stock springs.
1. Weld new spring perches
2. Longer Shocks


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-31-2020, 08:42 PM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 17,092
Umm, nobody asked for a "how to". You really don't know your audience.

The accusation of vague/vanilla is because you never said what SOA "worked better" at, or "performed as well" at. It had nothing to do with the rest of your post, thus that was deleted. You know, intentional like.

You also made these claims with zero knowledge of the OP's desired end result. I'm fairly certain that his question wasn't shackle reversal vs spring over or which to pick and why.

Not every one wants a spring over Jeep and doing it correctly is far from economical. Your two steps are hardly all that it takes. Add longer driveshafts, longer brake lines, anti-wrap bar for the rear, and the expensive part - steering (and not a drop pitman arm). Then there's the fact that if you're going that tall, it's usually a good idea to go wider especially if it's a CJ5.
CSP is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome