Scored a barely used tilt column. Now I have questions and need some parts. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Scored a barely used tilt column. Now I have questions and need some parts.

I scored a lightly-used oem tilt cj tilt column (photo attached) last week to replace my worn-out needs-a-full-rebuild one in my CJ7.

I would like to lube and refresh the one I just bought so I could use some instructions on what I can do to get it ready for years of use without taking it apart. It is rock solid and tight like almost new.

I will then break down my original. Finally have all the metal parts blasted and powder coated. But I need a few parts to complete the rebuild.

I need (in nice condition)

1 - skinny tilt lever

2 - Black Lower tilt shroud.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
91220165_10216890756397564_1246228118629253120_n.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 AM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I hope it's a shorty GM type tilt column, this was just the ticket to get my hiney to fit in my CJ5. There once was a great fellow down our way that ran a Jeep wrecking yard. but he passed away about 10 years ago. He even had a pair of FC's!
Luckily the tilt lever can easily be found at the boneyard nearest you provided that they haven't scrapped all of their correcsponding GM cars/trucks. Even it you find one too long, it can be cut and rethreaded to appropriate length. As far as the shroud goes you're in the same boat unless you find someone with some NOS parts.
As long as it's tight though, I wouldn't worry about disassembly just for the sake of lubrication. The iner bearings are sealed and to remove them you'd wind up destroying them as they are press fit and removal often requires getting new.
Hope this helps.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #3 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 10:38 AM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

Google "Saginaw steering column parts" or "GM steering column parts" Parts are readily available, aftermarket and you can even find OEM parts, as that steering column is a GM column and used on every GM car and truck from the 60's on. Even Chrysler, Suzuki, as well as others used them on some vehicles. Anyways the only thing Jeep specific is if you have an automatic trans with the Chrysler trans, as the shift indicator is different (has a longer throw then a GM trans) and nobody reproduces it..

post #4 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 AM
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

An older thread, but the one I used when I rebuild my tilt column... you may find some helpful information in there...
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/t...lease-1294496/

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 11:32 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

post #6 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 04:00 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I'm glad that folks are still active on this forum. I was a post fiend when I was fixing Black Betty a few years ago.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #7 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
If only it were that easy. None of the parts I am looking for are available for a legitimate price on that site. Hence why i asked this group who stores away every little nut and bolt like it was gold (same as I do). This is one of the last best places to find items at reasonable prices.

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.c...nual-trans.php I paid less for the near nos complete column than they are asking for this part. And another seller on FB wanted $100 for the lever alone.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
I'm glad that folks are still active on this forum. I was a post fiend when I was fixing Black Betty a few years ago.
Well, I got laid off and have ton of time to wrench (alone) due to the coronavirus. So I plan on being way more active again.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-29-2020, 10:34 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

As said above, the tilt lever is just a threaded rod with a knob on the end. You could use a long bolt with the correct thread as a temporary lever until you find what you want at a good price. I am sure there are clapped out old columns that are around that would have a lever in serviceable condition.

I do not know what you will do for a lower tilt shroud. You should be able to install the column until you find one and then install it later. May call a place that repairs columns and see if they have what you need at a reasonable price. Both of the parts you are after are not wear parts so I am sure there are plenty of the m around from otherwise unusable columns.

Good luck.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-30-2020, 09:12 AM
MrPeter63
1983 CJ7 

Well nobody said it was gonna be cheap lol. They are basically restoration parts, in a highly over priced market. Have you tried "Classic industries", "Year one" and other GM resto parts sites. Here Year one, $24 bucks for a tilt lever... https://www.yearone.com/Product/1967-81-camaro/0h4470 Or hit the junk yard, like i said, they were in everything GM and others, into the 2000's, hell they probly still use them today on anything with forward steer. Just about anything late 80's and up has tilt steer on it. Cherokees, YJ's, probly some TJ's, Wagoners, Comanches, I think Durangos used them. Just because they look a little different on newer vehicles, chances are that lower shroud is gonna be the same. The column for the most part hasn't changed at all, they just added plastic pieces to the outside..
post #11 of 21 Old 03-30-2020, 11:26 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

You'll never get it right - it is junk and will require thousands of dollars in time and parts.. I'll PM you my address to get rid f it for you...

Honestly, only issues I have seen personally with them is the 3 torx head bolts coming loose and the top flops around. I have heard of sector gear issues, but never seen it in mine.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I had the geared rack that drives the switch rod break in my 1985 CJ7 tilt column a few years back. It was an $8 "Help" part at the local auto parts store. It was not fun to put in but it was not too hard.

I took one apart twice for a friend back in late 1980's where the 3 torx head bolts came loose. The second time, I used Red Loctite and it solved the problem for good. It you have to take one apart, buy or rent the little tool that pulls the tilt pins on the sides of the column. I have taken several columns apart using a screw and a socket and a stack of washers. I got one pin out this way on my 1985 but the other pin would not budge and it turned into a 4 hour ordeal with many broken screws and lots of colorful language. I purchase the $10 tool and had the pin pulled in 5 minutes. They are very good columns.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
Well, I got laid off and have ton of time to wrench (alone) due to the coronavirus. So I plan on being way more active again.
Sorry to hear about you getting laid off... that's gotta suck. Hope it won't be for long.

1980 CJ-5
My build thread:

I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Not to ask a dumb question but what is wrong with those parts on your old column that you cannot reuse them?
post #15 of 21 Old 03-31-2020, 11:47 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I am guessing that the old column is not a tilt colum so it does not have a tilt lever or a tilt skirt on the bottom. Just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Not to ask a dumb question but what is wrong with those parts on your old column that you cannot reuse them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in