Rust reformer/ converter - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Davebrown777
1984 CJ7 

Rust reformer/ converter

Looking to scratch off and touch up some rust spots on my CJ. Anyone suggest a good rust converter? I heard Corroseal is good but never used it. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 07:07 AM
cglax6
1976 CJ5 

Can't beat Ospho
weapon likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Posted this a little while back to show how well ospho works to kill the rust. Piece of sheet metal and all I did was use a paint brush to wipe it on and rub it into a few areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust Before.jpg   Rust After.jpg  

post #4 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is no magical goop in a bottle that will convert rust to anything useful. Rust converters are easily defeated because most rust is creeping out from a metal seam or other imperfection.

Rust must be removed or it will return. There are two rust removal solutions, mechanical/chemical removal, or cut and replace with fresh metal.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 08:44 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i also use ospho. it will turn the light coating of iron oxide (rust) to a iron phosphate coating. it works well. then after to protect it after i use a oil based primer. i dont know how some of the other primers stick to it. you need to clean the acid off before primming. i re-wet with the ospho after it has dried then rinse very well with the water. never had a problem with the oil based primer sticking.

oldschool
post #6 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I've had good luck with this stuff. You can find it at Home Depot. It's cheap and a gallon goes a long ways.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
ExhaustManifolds5.jpg   ExhaustManifold1.jpg   ExhaustManifolds3.jpg  
Nor Cal CJ5 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Fldvr

1974 CJ5 

Garage
As far as rust converters go I agree that rust will always look to get out. If you seal out the ability to breathe you can get some serious time out of your coatings.
Blackstar Rust Converter followed by KBS coating paints either sprayed or brushed on will last many many years here in Florida.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 04:45 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pretend for a minute that you live road salt country, and when you drive, you drive in the ocean, and when you park the Jeep, you park in the ocean. Snow melting road salt is applied several tons to the mile of pavement, and gets everywhere.

Rust converters really don't work like one would hope, and the coating they turn into makes it extremely difficult to do any cosmetic body work. Most rust begins at a seam between two sheets of metal, no amount magic goop is going to convert that.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

I've always allowed it to dry completely, what I look for is the light gray color on the sheet metal, I know the rust is gone by then. If there are any dark patches, I get a wire brush and more ospho and work it some more. Dark patches are iron phosphate and most of the rust converters do the same, turn it black. But that iron phosphate is an indication that the rust is still present underneath and only the top is coated as the phosphoric acid will not penetrate and convert deep rust. If you seal it up, it will hide for many years, but it will eventually come back.

So for me it's a rust indicator and prep, once the metal is all grey then I know the rust is gone and its good metal again.

Once dry and all grey, I do a very light sand for any dust and prime over. Not all primers like phosphoric acid so you have to know what the primer will stick to it, the manufacturers data sheet should tell you what substrates are good. But if you do a search of the big gun names metal prep you will find that most of them have a phosphoric acid based metal prep.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
There were some spots on my '71 Mach 1 that I couldn't replace, so I used Rust Mort in a spray bottle. After that dried for several days, I followed up with Rust Bullet Black Shell, which is an epoxy primer. It's holding up incredibly well after 8 years.

Eric

post #11 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 07:12 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

I’ve used corroseal with mixed results. Poor results for vehicles. I paint the underbody of my winter car every fall with it, and the next year it’s always straight up rust. I’ve painted rusty spots on my jeep with it, and the rust eventually comes back through. I’ve also painted brake drums and the rust comes back through. However, I did paint the natural gas utility pipe going into my house and that has stayed rust free.
Based on my experience, I would not recommend it for vehicles. I still use it and put a new coat on every year because I own a big jug, but I would not buy it again.
Attached Thumbnails
image_1597194441017.jpg  
post #12 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 07:20 PM
JimMLINY

I have used POR-15 with excellent results on a 68 Skylark and 70 Riviera trunks, underbody and engine bay.

It is nice to be important; but more so, important to be nice!
post #13 of 21 Old 08-11-2020, 07:44 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

ospho or other phosphoric acid converters arent a magic solution that you can take a big bubbling hole and magically stop and fix the hole. where it shines is it converts a light film to stop the rust. you have to remove all heavy rust prior to using. where it shines is for a patina or even better for a flash rust. alot of professional restoration shop still dip in acid because it also gets inside places you cant reach. unless you want to remove every spot weld and panel then put in fixture to reassemble. i am in fl where the humidity is about 85 to 90 percent. you can sand the steel and by the time you are wiping it its already starting to get a flash rust starting. or after you wet sand blast it will have the slight orange starting after you got done with the area. that is where i love ospho or acid. i use a scottbrite pad and some acid and scour the metal. then rinse it off with water and it will leave a light grey iron phosphate finish that wont rust while trying to finish prepping. that is where i never have had a problem using a oil based enamel primer. but i still like the old enamel paints with hardener. alot of epoxy primer dont like it. but i have heard that a acid etch primer works well. but you really need to test a small spot.

oldschool
post #14 of 21 Old 08-12-2020, 05:01 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

For small spots I use Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #15 of 21 Old 08-12-2020, 05:27 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in