Revolver shackles hitting steering box bracket - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Binford
1977 CJ5 

Revolver shackles hitting steering box bracket

Hey, anyone with Revolver shackles on their CJ/YJs:

I'm just getting to installing mine, just on the front. I do not have the axle on it right now--the CJ is up on jack stands. I notice the passenger shackle will fold all the way up to the frame:

But the driver's side shackle hits the steering box bracket:

Here's where it contacts (and you can see the mark on the shackle too):

My question is, will the shackle ever compress this far when the axle is installed and the shackle is supporting the weight. As I see it, the weight of the Jeep will push the lower part of the Revolvers forward (pulling the shackle down and away from the frame), but would it ever be able to pull the shackle up to the frame like that in use?

My guess is that when the vehicle is at rest, pushing down on the springs, it will force the bottom of the Revolvers forward, thus away from the frame and the steering box mount. Then, as they compress, the springs effectively lengthen pushing the shackle out even more. So if anything, it should get farther away from the frame. I just wanted to be sure that I this is all so before I get everything all zipped together.

What's been the experience of anyone who has Revolvers on their front axles? Got any close-ups of the shackles with the Jeep at rest?

Thanks!

Tim Taylor
'77 CJ-5
'04 Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
CJ Chet

1986 CJ7 

Found this on the Tera Flex web site:

"The TeraFlex Revolver shackle enhances the off-road ability of any leaf sprung suspension. Unique shackle design hinges & rotates to allow leaf springs to flex & compress without additional spring stress. Revolver shackles never rest against the frame because they are self-supporting and stay folded against themselves on level ground. Revolver Shackles will give you up to 10" of additional spring droop. To get the maximum benefit out of the Revolver Shackles you may have to install longer shocks because the ones you currently run will max out before the shackles do.

The shackles work best when combined with suspension and tires appropriate for off-roading. Because the shackles are a bolt-on kit, they can be installed easily with aftermarket suspensions systems to achieve an even greater level of performance. When properly installed, the shackles will maximize articulation and wheel droop. No other off-road product improves your vehicle's trail performance with so little investment as the TeraFlex Revolver Shackle.

Can be installed in combination with aftermarket suspension systems for MAX performance."

Tera Manufacturing
8385 S. Allen St. Unit 115
Sandy, UT. 84070
Phone 801-256-9897

'86 CJ7
'04 AEV RUBICON
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #3 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The way it looks you might be able to use an aftermarket steering box brace to solve the problem.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

When installed, the spring length and arc will hold the shackle in an extended position and away from the frame. A fellow I know had a set on his YJ and they were not collapsed against the frame.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Once it's resting on the springs, it won't swivel that far... You're okay

"The Marines I have seen around the world have:
the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen.
Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
"Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
post #6 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Binford
1977 CJ5 

An aftermarket steering box brace is supplemental, not a replacement for the mount.

I'd read that Teraflex site information too and am encouraged that they say they don't rest against the frame. My concern is that they stay far enough away from the frame that they don't bite my steering box mount.

I'm not going to let it stop me from proceeding on. I'm leaving the front axle off for now anyway as I really enjoy being able to move around under the front end on the creeper without all that stuff getting in my way! Still have some painting to do under there (as you can clearly see!) as well as a new rear main seal to contend with.

But if anyone running Revolvers has a picture showing where they sit and have any experience to share about how they work, I'd sure appreciate the input!

Tim Taylor
'77 CJ-5
'04 Grand Cherokee
post #7 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
dbd
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binford View Post
An aftermarket steering box brace is supplemental, not a replacement for the mount.

I'd read that Teraflex site information too and am encouraged that they say they don't rest against the frame. My concern is that they stay far enough away from the frame that they don't bite my steering box mount.

I'm not going to let it stop me from proceeding on. I'm leaving the front axle off for now anyway as I really enjoy being able to move around under the front end on the creeper without all that stuff getting in my way! Still have some painting to do under there (as you can clearly see!) as well as a new rear main seal to contend with.

But if anyone running Revolvers has a picture showing where they sit and have any experience to share about how they work, I'd sure appreciate the input!

The replacement steering box brace which replaces the stock mount system is a massive hunk of steel, much larger than stock, might want to check with someone who has done it so see if you will avoid any problems, by the way the aftermarket box mount works great if you have the room
post #8 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM
shull360CJ7

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the revolvers on my '85 CJ7 and they rest about half an inch away from the frame. I have not gotten to do a lot of four-wheeling yet, as I am still awaiting my lengthened front drive shaft, but I do not predict I will have any issues.

Unfortunately, my Jeep is my parents house so I cannot post any pics right now.

'98 Sport, 5 Speed. Green Emerald Metallic. Bestop soft top.
BDS 2" lift, AR steel wheels, 31"x10.5" Goodyears. Stock axles, stock 3.07 gears.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
post #9 of 29 Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Binford
1977 CJ5 

No issues with your steering box mount though, huh?

Tim Taylor
'77 CJ-5
'04 Grand Cherokee
post #10 of 29 Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 AM
shull360CJ7

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, I have not noticed any impact marks, heard any thunks, or felt any hard impact when hitting bumps...other than the usual.

Again, I have not had mine unfold and collapse yet while on the trail.

'98 Sport, 5 Speed. Green Emerald Metallic. Bestop soft top.
BDS 2" lift, AR steel wheels, 31"x10.5" Goodyears. Stock axles, stock 3.07 gears.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
post #11 of 29 Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 AM
bjf498

1983 CJ7 

You are supposed to get the spacer thing they sell for cj's

Small, fine shavings are ok, large chunks are bad, huge chunks with part number stamped on them are real bad.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Binford
1977 CJ5 

I do believe you hit on it there! Thanks!

The 4-Wheel Parts catalog notes that p/n 7254 (CJ, Front) requires p/n 73724 (CJ, Front Spring Mount Spacer). The combined price is what I paid for, so it appears they missed this when they put my package together.

I e-mailed customer service at 4-Wheel Parts to let them know. Now we'll see how good their service is!

Thanks again, bjf498!

Tim Taylor
'77 CJ-5
'04 Grand Cherokee
post #13 of 29 Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Binford
1977 CJ5 

Let me pause a moment here to say how surprisingly uninformed people who should know about this product really are. The 4-Wheel Parts guys didn't know what it was, but at least their catalog calls it out. They charged me what the price should have been WITH the part, but say now that price does NOT include it. Since their price is the same as that of Quadratec for the front Revolver shackles, I contacted them to confirm it's all included. They are insisting that nothing is required at all. So I call Teraflex themselves, and even THEY didn't know what I'm talking about! The tech guy put me on hold and asked around and found out that yes, by golly, there IS a such a part after all! It's a replacement spring hanger that positions the spring eye about an inch lower and rearward a bit. $16 for the pair. Now I have to confirm with Quadratec (I sent them a picture of the freakin' thing) that it's all included in the price so I can force 4-Wheel Parts to match it. PITA....

Anyway, here's the driver's side hooked up. There's just a little weight on the spring. There's no axle installed yet, but the floor jack is holding it up slightly. Under the load of the Jeep, the shackle tucks up quite a bit more. Nice welding job on that hanger, huh? Sheesh.... Even I could have done a slicker job than that! And I can't weld worth a bean.

With the replacement hanger installed and the spring jacked up more, the shackle now clears the steering box mount.

Oh, and the dorks made the replacement hanger out of thicker material than stock, so I had to add a washer to the other mount to keep it from tweaking. I'm not terribly impressed with Teraflex, though the shackle itself looks absolutely top-shelf.

Tim Taylor
'77 CJ-5
'04 Grand Cherokee
post #14 of 29 Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
ValleyJeeper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does the Revolver shackle add any lift compared to the stock sized shackle?
post #15 of 29 Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd View Post
The replacement steering box brace which replaces the stock mount system is a massive hunk of steel, much larger than stock, might want to check with someone who has done it so see if you will avoid any problems, by the way the aftermarket box mount works great if you have the room
You're talking about a heavy duty replacement MOUNT not a replacement brace...the brace is just that, an add-on brace.

'86 CJ-7 Laredo: 4.2,T-999,D300,D30/D44,'94 YJ tub, full cage, Shrockworks rockers, OYR corners, AC,cruise,restored seats,3 tops,4.5" RE XD,F-T shackle reversal, RS9000x's,35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
'83 Scrambler: 360,T-999,D300,D30/A20,1-piece shafts,rear discs,33" Fun Country's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in