11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Nick4320

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post

There are people on the forum that can chime in and give you good advice. The repair is very simple if you take your time and do it right. You should not need flux if you use proper rosin core solder. Use the correct type of solder. Do not use acid core solder which is used to repair radiators. It will completely destroy your radio.

Good luck.
I have solder for general plumbing stuff "safe flo lead free solder" and water soluble flux

should work right? or do i have to go on an adventure into homedepot right now, mask gloves, hand sanitizer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4320 View Post
I have solder for general plumbing stuff "safe flo lead free solder" and water soluble flux

should work right? or do i have to go on an adventure into homedepot right now, mask gloves, hand sanitizer
no.... just no... get your gloves on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #33 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Nick4320

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
no.... just no... get your gloves on...
lol good to know theres that much difference between the two

Got silver bearing rosin core Solder

post #34 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Plumbing solder would turn that board into a unusable junk. Make sure you have a good quality soldering iron with a fine tip made for soldering electrical PCB boards. Don't forget the solder wick or solder sucker. Amazon has all this stuff.

Quote:

post #35 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 07:00 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
lol good to know theres that much difference between the two

Got silver bearing rosin core Solder
Silver solder? Sure need even more heat to melt that stuff.....

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #36 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Nick4320

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Plumbing solder would turn that board into a unusable junk. Make sure you have a good quality soldering iron with a fine tip made for soldering electrical PCB boards. Don't forget the solder wick or solder sucker. Amazon has all this stuff.
got this one seems good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Silver solder? Sure need even more heat to melt that stuff.....
Thats what they had at the homedepots for electrical
post #37 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 08:26 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Anyone else here old enough to remember (and miss) going to Radio Shack, where the counter guys would do stuff like this for you, just because they were that geeky!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #38 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 08:59 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Silver bearing rosin core solder is very different than Silver Solder. Silver bearing rosin core solder is electrical solder with a very small amount of silver that melts at electrical solder temperatures with a regular soldering iron. Silver Solder is actually silver brazing and you need a torch to melt it. Steel gets a dull red before silver solder melts (800F or above depending on the alloy). Silver solder is sometimes call hard solder and they use it in high pressure home A/C systems to braze the copper line connections together. Silver solder comes in various amounts of silver and some of it is as hi as 40% to 70% depending on the application. It is quite expensive compared to silver bearing rosin core solder which is usually a mixture of several metals including lead, tin, some other metals and just a touch of silver.

You are fine to use silver bearing rosin core solder for your repair as long it is sold for electrical use.

I hope the iron you purchased has a finer tip. That sized tip is something I might use to splice larger wires together in a Jeep but would never get it near a precision solder job on a PCB board.
KenTribeFan likes this.
post #39 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Nick4320

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Update, the solder iron didnt come with other tips as i hoped but i was able to make do. Didnt touch the board with it at all. Got the old capacitor out and replaced with the new one. Super simple job trimmed and rtv-ed in place. Reassembled and plugged back into the jeep.

I started off low, radio started playing, then slowly cranked it. The volume went up all the way to 46, instead of cutting out at 30ish. 46 sounds a bit raspy but 40 was plenty loud with 1 speaker. I owe some people some beers!!

im working on making 2 small speaker boxes to wedge behind the roll bar, since i have 4 good speakers now
Attached Thumbnails
20200401_140825.jpg  
John Strenk, JoonHoss and 258 like this.
post #40 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 01:38 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Very nice; congrats.

I'm by no means an expert, but I did a lot of stereo installs in jeeps at the shop I worked at, and on my own/ family rigs. There are so many subtle tips/ tricks to getting good sound out of a stereo system, and there is a HUGE difference to be had in quality components. Are your current speakers in the dash?

That said, don't be afraid to play around a bit with angle, box size, treble/ bass, etc.

You might find that less total sound but richer sounds better, or vice versa. And don't rule out a small amp and a speaker box or subsystem. Even a 'cheap' one can make a world of difference.

HTH and happy Jeepin'

Hoss

post #41 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

They make rear speaker wedges for CJ7s

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep...losure&ie=&oe=
post #42 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 02:48 PM
1985 CJ7 

Key to even cleaner sound; CROSS-OVERS!
post #43 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Nick4320

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
They make rear speaker wedges for CJ7s

http://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+...losure&ie=&oe=
That was the original plan, but now since I have an extra set of 5.25 speakers, I figured save money and use those.

I hooked all the speakers up, reinstalled the radio, dash and foam pad. Everything is almost put back together.

The rear speakers sounded a bit hollow (the new rockford fosgate) which I'm thinking is because theres no enclosure yet for them. But otherwise they all sounded great.
post #44 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 06:14 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

You could install the smaller speakers in the larger 6x9 enclosure by using a simple blockoff plate/board. Stuff the enclosure with that cotton type speaker stuffing and you would be good to go. You could watch for a set of 6x9s later. Can you send your extra 5.25 speakers back for a refund or are the extra speakers the old ones? Medium quality 6 x 9s will probably seound a lot better than the 5.25s.

Quote:
That was the original plan, but now since I have an extra set of 5.25 speakers, I figured save money and use those.

I hooked all the speakers up, reinstalled the radio, dash and foam pad. Everything is almost put back together.

The rear speakers sounded a bit hollow (the new rockford fosgate) which I'm thinking is because theres no enclosure yet for them. But otherwise they all sounded great.
post #45 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

6x9's are one of the best all-around speakers , IMHO. Especially a quality pair of 3 ways, but even a very good 2 way.

Hoss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in