Resurrection Build Thread '72 CJ5 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
ratjaw

1972 CJ5 

Resurrection Build Thread '72 CJ5

resurrection n.; 3. revival after disuse, inactivity, or decay. (Oxford English Dictionary).

So I have finally decided to start and maintain a build thread for my '72 CJ5. I've had this Jeep for going on three years now and I have worked on it off and on for a while now. I think the build thread will help keep me focused on the project. I have been trying to document the progress as I have gone along but sometimes I get busy and forget to take pictures. I'll try to get better as I go along.

Some background: I bought this for $75.00 in February of 2010. My dad told me I wasted the $75. However, I think I did all right because I got a titled frame/tub and a complete drive train (o.k., so no one would actually believe that the rusted, Jeep-shaped chunk of steel on the trailer is a tub). Within a few days of posting the pictures on this site, another member said that he had a tub complete with hood, fenders, grill, fuel tank, windshield, and soft top from a '74 that he was willing to part with for the bargain price of $400. The tub was not perfect, but it was very restore-able. One 12-hour road trip later and I have a viable project Jeep, complete with title, for a grand total of $475. Add all this to a newly completed workshop and it looks like I am all set for a rewarding, relaxing pastime (or a deep, bottomless money pit in which I could sink my family's meager fortune).

So I'll start with a few pictures to serve as the "before" part of this build. I will try to post often and with many pictures, because I know that others build threads have helped to inspire me and I would like to return the favor to the next generation of Jeep-builders.

More to come soon...

Jeep..... The best thing to come from Ohio since aviation.

Resurrection Build Thread 1972 CJ5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

WOW ! That is some rust! How is the frame? I wish you the best of luck on your project. Yes $75 was a steal of a deal for that. Lots of good parts there.

1973 Jeep CJ5 Amc powered resto-mod
1976 Jeep CJ7 GM powered future 1 ton crawler
post #3 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
ASteve

1972 CJ5 

ratjaw,

I have a '72 too. I'll be wacthing...

Also, are you going to replace your dash knobs? If so, I would love to have yours from this '72...

SC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
FallibleXJ
1974 CJ5 

I have a 74', you have my attention.
post #5 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Dadamsnv

1977 CJ5 

Wow! thats some pretty nasty rust! I'd love to see your progress here.

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #6 of 88 Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
ratjaw

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog304 View Post
WOW ! That is some rust! How is the frame? I wish you the best of luck on your project. Yes $75 was a steal of a deal for that. Lots of good parts there.
The frame appears to be unbent, uncracked, and otherwise unmolested. Of course I haven't removed the old tub yet so anything is possible. I checked the frame over before I bought it to make sure it didn't have any major cracks which would need to be addressed.

The PO said he had it running and drove it around the farm, but I haven't bothered to try to start it (why tease myself, I can't drive it anywhere). Also, he took the carb apart because he said it had a leak. Before I take the drive train out for frame sandblasting I will see if the engine runs and run a compression check. The oil level is at the full mark, nice green antifreeze in the radiator, and the engine (232) turns over and seems to have compression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
ratjaw,

I have a '72 too. I'll be wacthing...

Also, are you going to replace your dash knobs? If so, I would love to have yours from this '72...

SC
Right now I'm going to hang on to those kinds of parts until I know what direction I'm going to take. If I find I have any duplicates I will shoot you a PM. I did manage to score a complete dash out of a '74 during a salvage yard trip a few months ago, but that part is currently stored at my parents house and I don't remember what it had for knobs. I'll check the next time I head out at their place.

post #7 of 88 Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
ratjaw

1972 CJ5 

OK, so let me try to post pics so that everyone who has shown interest can get caught up with the progress thus far.

First a little personal background to establish my skill level and lack thereof. I have been a heavy truck mechanic for 18+ years, almost all of it working for Peterbilt dealerships. I have never done body work professionally and only dabbled in it for personal projects (but with the assistance of dealership pros for guidance). I also love tools and tend to buy them even if I don't have an immediate use for them. This means I have collected quite a few auto body tools, even though they don't make me any money.

On to the Jeep. As I mentioned before the new tub is not perfect but it is restore-able. Most of the rust is forward of the riser, in the floor pans and consequently in the rockers. The plan is to repair the riser, replace the hat channels and floor pans, and replace the rockers. In looking at the construction of the Jeep I have observed how absolutely simple the construction process was. Jeeps start as flat sheet metal and are stamped to make the few necessary curves. This is good for the home fabricator because reconstruction of these pieces can be very simple (as I intend to show). In fact I'm pretty sure I could remake almost any panel on a Jeep if I have a pattern to go by (and enough time). Fenders and grill would be difficult and cost prohibitive to remake, but those are in fairly decent supply so it is a non issue. We'll find out together.

I failed to take any before pictures of the new tub. However, I have been taking some as I progress through the project. Here is a shot of the new tub floor before I got too carried away with the demolition process.

If you look closely you can see that I have already cut out the left rocker and the left floor riser. Some of these parts are available as replacement panels from places like Classic Enterprises, but I decided there was a less expensive way to repair the damage. I went to the local metal supplier and bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 16 ga. to use as my new Jeep panels.

Here is a pic of the left side floor riser before it was welded in place:

And here it is welded in place:

Later I will post some pics of the process I used to remake the new rocker panels.

post #8 of 88 Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 AM
FLynes

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Holy crap, and I thought mine was bad.

Good luck, ratjaw, I'll be following your rebuild.

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

post #9 of 88 Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Dadamsnv

1977 CJ5 

That floor riser looks like it was always there. Nice work

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #10 of 88 Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
ratjaw

1972 CJ5 

Time for another update. Part of reviving an old Jeep is access to a MIG welder. It is one of the tools I always wanted but never bought. This project seemed like as good an excuse as any other to buy one. It was a tough decision between the Lincoln and the Miller. Both had solid user reviews and great reputations. I would like to have had the Miller but the decision came down to financing; I have an account with Home Depot and purchases over $300 have one year no interest / no payment when purchased on the card. I think the total price was around $500 or so. Next stop, hit the local welders supply and buy a bottle of gas and I'm all set to work on the Jeep. I've also found the auto-darkening welding hood to be an invaluable asset.

The welder:

The next panel to be remade and replaced is the left rocker.
Here is the old panel cut out:

Here is the old with the new:

To make the new panel I traced the pattern of the old piece onto a section of 3/4 plywood, clamped it down sandwiched between the plywood and 2x4's. Use a hammer to form the flange at the bottom and around to the wheel well. This one was a little off at the wheel well but it will be hidden by the fender flare. The other side turned out perfectly (pics of that side later).

After the flange is formed, use the old piece as a pattern and cut the shape carefully with a cut off wheel.

Then tack weld the new panel into place being careful not to get the metal too hot in any one spot:

Work slowly; spot weld, move, let cool, grind smooth, repeat ad infinitum.

By the way, in case anyone who has never done this wants to try I encourage you to just do it as it isn't that hard; this is the first time I have ever welded a body panel. Practice on scrap first to get the wire speed and amperage settings correct, and read, read, read about the process. I'm not great, but I'm getting better.

'Till next time...

post #11 of 88 Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
ratjaw

1972 CJ5 

For the repair of the right side rocker I used the same process.

The raw material, cut a bit over-sized:

Forming the flange:

Wheel arch came out much better on this side:

And here it is in the final stages of welding. At this point I am still adding some welds and have yet to finish grinding the seem smooth. It is important to work slowly; material is easier to remove than it is to replace.

Next step will be the replacement of the Jeep logos (the original ones from '72)...

post #12 of 88 Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

This is awesome ratjaw! I definately like the detailed photos of how you are making the repair panels. I have a '74 in need of a little work like your replacement tub, so I will be watching intently!

post #13 of 88 Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
ratjaw

1972 CJ5 

One of the unique features of the intermediate Jeeps is the stamped logo. It appears that the font was used from '72 through mid '74, a mere 2 1/2 years. I know that sometime in '74 the logo changed to what we have now (more or less) because the replacement tub I have is a '74 and has the newer font and location. Since I'm resurrecting a '72 I want to make sure it looks the part. I measured and cut out the old logos from the old tub, cleaned them up, and got them ready to install on the new tub. A few careful measurements and cuts on the new tub and I'm ready to weld in the new logos. Again I got carried away with my work so I didn't take as many pictures as I might have liked.

Here is the old panel with the old logo (and the new panel I made):

Here is a pic of the left logo tack welded in place (forgot to take pics of the right side in progress):

Back to the right side showing some of the welding done. Still need to grind the welds smooth and continue the weld - grind - weld process

One more for good measure:

Notice the difference in the gap between the old and new panels. On the right side there is almost no gap; this makes the work more difficult. On the left side there is a uniform gap all the way around and this is actually easier to work with (I'm still learning, and every step of this process teaches me something new). The key is to make sure the welder's amperage and wire speed are set correctly (too hot and it is really easy to burn through / burn up). Also there needs to be a non-ferrous backer behind the weld to prevent the shield gas from dissipating and ruining the weld. I have been using a piece of brass from a Peterbilt radiator (it was free) but I understand a person can use copper as well (flattened copper pipe). Just hold the brass directly behind the gap and aim the weld puddle into the gap. The weld won't stick to the brass (or copper). If your hands aren't calloused you will want to wear leather gloves, but I have been handling hot metal for so long that this doesn't bother me. It actually helps me to gauge the metal temp; if the metal is too hot to touch then it is time to let it cool down to prevent warping. This is a judgement call and that kind of feel cannot be taught, only learned. Again, anyone can do this if they have patience and are willing to learn a new skill.

I think I'm going to take a break from panel welding for a little while. The floorboards are next on the list and I think I need to build a rotisserie for the tub. I'll try to remember to take more pics this time...

post #14 of 88 Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Flatwatermatt
1979 CJ5 

Killer job so far.
post #15 of 88 Old 09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
FLynes

1976 CJ5 

Garage
ratjaw, you have natural talent....almost makes me want to try and resurrect my tub.......almost.

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in