Replacement lights LED or incandescent ? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

Replacement lights LED or incandescent ?

My Jeep is a 1980 CJ 7 with a YJ tub done by the previous owner. Since I don't know that much of the service history I was going to assume most everything on it almost 25 years old or older. So I'm going to be replacing those things that go bad with time. Replacing light bulbs is no big deal, however, I was wondering if it is worth the expense of replacing the tail lights, turn signals, and running lights with LED lights. I was planning on still using traditional headlights. Are there any technical issues with mixing LED lights and incandescent lighting (other than the turn signal flasher). I'm not really concerned with keeping it an authentic CJ because the tub has been replaced with a YJ tub. So maybe I'm trying to give it its own personality. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
No issue mixing incandescent and LED. You'll need an electronic flasher relay to replace the thermal flasher relay, you can get these at pretty much any autoparts store but you can get them much cheaper online. I believe it's a EL32 relay I'd need to pull the one on my XJ and check it. All the other LEDs are drop in. Try not to go too cheap, the really cheap ones do have a tendency to have their control boards fail after a while of being exposed to constant vibration in a vehicle.

I've went nearly 100 percent LED, the only ones I haven't replaced at this point are in the dash but it's on the agenda the next time I need to take the dash panel off. I went with Trucklite Knockoffs from Amazon for headlights. They were about 90 dollars and have a very sharp cutoff. There's nothing wrong with LED headlights (and it's a good way to cut your power consumption in half and take the load off the wiring) but you have to make sure you get models with a good cutoff so you aren't blasting everyone with uncontrolled light. Many of the low cost ones don't have that good cut off but some do you have to shop around a bit to find them.

Trucklites would be one of the best out there but they run about 300 dollars a set.
firegod33 likes this.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #3 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

Thanks for the information. There are a ton of aftermarket lights available so i want to get quality lighting.
Jim

post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 11:15 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

For the tail lights, I would buy the whole assembly designed for LED's, The bulb type did not seem as bright as the dedicated ones.

I really do like these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ount/567/1775/
trailhead2004 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old 08-12-2019, 09:58 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
For the tail lights, I would buy the whole assembly designed for LED's, The bulb type did not seem as bright as the dedicated ones.

I really do like these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ount/567/1775/
I agree.

You can get LED bulbs to fit....but, it will never be as bright as an LED assembly.

I'm considering going with armored corners and using the recessed LED light....round one. I know it's not the CJ7 style....but, then again, not much on my jeep besides the body is original.

post #6 of 18 Old 08-13-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

I like the idea of the recessed round light. I like the clean look of it. I gotta also replace the missing tag holder and accompanying light.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-14-2019, 12:25 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyj1957 View Post
I like the idea of the recessed round light. I like the clean look of it. I gotta also replace the missing tag holder and accompanying light.
And they don't get broken as easy on the trail..........

post #8 of 18 Old 08-14-2019, 06:39 PM
CJ7 Joe
1984 CJ7 

Quote:

I really do like these: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ount/567/1775/
Love em! I may pull the trigger on a set of these. But curious what do you do for rear side marker lights? Thanks!

CJ7

post #9 of 18 Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

76 didn't have side markers in the tail light but a seperate light on the fender.

Call them and see if they have some with side lights. My LED trailer lights have side lights but they are square and do't have backup bulbs.

These on Amazon have them but I don't know how good they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-L.../dp/B01IAYOS8W
downs likes this.

post #10 of 18 Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM
CJ7 Joe
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
76 didn't have side markers in the tail light but a seperate light on the fender.

Call them and see if they have some with side lights. My LED trailer lights have side lights but they are square and do't have backup bulbs.

These on Amazon have them but I don't know how good they are.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Li.../dp/B01IAYOS8W
Ah ok I was not aware of the side markers on the body. I think I’d prefer them on the body but may have to look into these because I’d hate to drill holes.

Thanks for the input and help!!

CJ7

post #11 of 18 Old 08-14-2019, 08:18 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Maybe just get some red reflective tape and put it on the side of each lite.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Headlights are the second largest user of power on a CJ after the starter motor.

I found Hella H4 housings and Phillips halogen bulbs with a set of relays (essential) were more than bright enough on my CJ7. If you decide to stay stock, nothing beats relays and a minimum of 12ga wires to and from the headlights to maximise voltage. Halogen bulbs are resistors, so more voltage = more light but also more current so good relays and bigger wires (less voltage drop) can lead to a substantial increase in brightness over stock wiring and lights. If I had to guess I would have put the increase in lumens at around 50%

With an LED lamp I understand they are not voltage sensitive, but current sensitive. Hence you can use the appalling old wiring that relies on rusty bodywork to complete the circuit.
trailhead2004 and downs like this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #13 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 07:25 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Headlights are the second largest user of power on a CJ after the starter motor.

I found Hella H4 housings and Phillips halogen bulbs with a set of relays (essential) were more than bright enough on my CJ7. If you decide to stay stock, nothing beats relays and a minimum of 12ga wires to and from the headlights to maximise voltage. Halogen bulbs are resistors, so more voltage = more light but also more current so good relays and bigger wires (less voltage drop) can lead to a substantial increase in brightness over stock wiring and lights. If I had to guess I would have put the increase in lumens at around 50%

With an LED lamp I understand they are not voltage sensitive, but current sensitive. Hence you can use the appalling old wiring that relies on rusty bodywork to complete the circuit.
LEDs still need good wiring and grounds. Youll get reduced output otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #14 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 04:21 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

post #15 of 18 Old 08-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
Nice, I wonder if theyre bright enough? I just paid $3.99 for two at Napa. These LED 194s are only $.99 each, I guess I need to order some and find out. One of my tail lights is cracked, and they both look old as dirt from living in the desert. If I can find some tail lights that looks OEM Ill buy them.

1985 CJ-7 258/auto Red paint, white Hardtop
2017 JKU SAHARA Silver paint, Black Hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in