replace inline 6 on cj7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2021, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

replace inline 6 on cj7

slowly getting to the fun stuff on this rebuild. Bought this project with blown engine and going back with reman 258 c.i. on my 82 cj7 and upgrade to 4.0 head and EFI but that we will deal with later on. Right now the question is on a jeep cj7 with 4 speed (my first experience with restoring jeeps) do you pull engine and trans and transfer case or just engine alone? Any tricks for keeping it simple will be appreciated. As always thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 12:09 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

It is possible to pull all together but that becomes a long and heavy object to get up and over the radiator. rather you than me.

I would break at the clutch housing if I just wanted the engine out.

If I wanted to take out the transmission as well then it is easier to remove the fenders and grille and radiator and take it out as one unit. If you are thinking of doing a lot of work this provides great access to the steering, front part of the frame etc. All can be cleaned up whilst your engine and trannie are being rebuilt. this would also give really good access for bolting the transmission and clutch etc on before being lowered back in. Downside is that it is quite heavy!!

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 01:52 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

I did an overhaul to my 232 in my CJ5. Pretty much the same as a 258. Just pulled the engine and left the trans and transfer case in. I am going to rebuild the transfer case later and pull it out from underneath. The engine alone is pretty heavy. You will probably want to do something to support the bell housing/transmission. I just used a strap over the frame. Good time to also replace the clutch and throw out bearing.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

You can also pull the grill or the grill and fenders, leaving either the front or the entire engine bay open. pulling the front clip makes for an excellent work space and may pay off in the future if/when you decide to start on the engine bay or body, as the bolts have already been broken loose.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

As always good advice i had already pulled radiator as I thought about a v8 conversion and would need different one anyway. Gave up on that v8 idea as everyone wants stupid money to do it, so the idea of the grill will make life easier and I will probably just pull the engine and support trans as suggested. from what i have learned the 258 with 4.0 head and injection is all I really need and I can do most of that myself. thanks again, Mike
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

Along with this upgrade and trying to remove manifolds does anyone have a good method to remove the pipe that is on bottom of the intake and then goes into the exhaust without cutting it. I am trying to remove intake by itself and the pipe (dont know what it is called) is keeping me from removing it. I thought about heating it but being connected to the carb I didnt want to yet even though the jeep hadnt run in 6 months. all I can get is a large crescent on it but no leverage and no room for cheater bar.. I know if I cut it I can later use a torch but didint want to cut if I can remove it in one piece. any suggestions? see pic thanks again
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeB82; 05-11-2021 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added picture
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 04:31 PM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

That’s the EGR pipe- exhaust gas recirculation. I had success with heating up the connections then hit with WD40 or PB blaster.

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
MikeB82

thats what I will do, thanks to all.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-12-2021, 06:13 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB82 View Post
from what i have learned the 258 with 4.0 head and injection is all I really need and I can do most of that myself. thanks again, Mike
So,
please fill out your profile.
Given the above statement, what are you unhappy about, what are your gear ratios and tire sizes.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in