Repair of broken studs in center caps? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By keith460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

Repair of broken studs in center caps?

How in the world do you get broken studs out of the center caps. I can't use heat without damaging the chrome and drilling it out is challenging since the holes are outboard of the center and it's hard to drill straight down...anyone have a cure?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 AM
aillon

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I had to do this for my center caps too. I used a dremell to shave off the end and make it flat, then used a punch to make a little indentation. Then a drill to slowly make the holes. Its hard to keep it centered. It took a long time.

Or you can just pony up $100 for some nice ones on ebay. Not a bad deal (not my ad). I do see that a couple of these do have broken bolts now too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-AMC-CJ...EAAOSw9M9dBiZo

1985 CJ7
post #3 of 4 Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Could you drill some rings out of plywood (hole saw) and layer them up to build a cradel to hold the caps up and then you would be able to use a drill press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyDive View Post
How in the world do you get broken studs out of the center caps. I can't use heat without damaging the chrome and drilling it out is challenging since the holes are outboard of the center and it's hard to drill straight down...anyone have a cure?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Drill Press only for that type of work.

I had one or two like that and set it up on a piece of plywood and then used another piece of wood to hold it down with a large wood clamp. Anything else and you are going to mare the finish of the chrome. Once it was held in place and centered on Centering Drill Bit, not a regular bit, we drilled to make a small pilot hole. Then used maybe a 3/32 drill bit to a certain depth. After drilling, we used a slightly larger reversed or lefthand drill bit to remove the broken bolt. Maybe 7/64 or 1/8 reverse drill. Came right out and I had several that were broken.
Next we used a 10-24 tap to clean the threads and then installed new stainless hardware, with anti-seize compound on the threads for future removal.
The new hardware was acquired from Totallystainless.com and the are OEM type Hex Flange Bolts of 10-24 x 5/8L. There are a couple of forum threads floating around about the screws that I provided the specs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scottyDive likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in