Reman engines - JeepForum.com
 7Likes
  • 7 Post By oldschool74cj5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-16-2021, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
simonb
1979 CJ7 

Reman engines

Hello, I am wondering if anyone could help me out. I need to replace the motor in my 1979 cj7. Its a 258 i6. Can anyone tell me who has the best reman motors out there. You see lots of negitive reviews on a lot of reman motors and i just want to get my moneys worth and not get ripped off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-16-2021, 06:38 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

are you personally changing the engine? if you have the talent to change one then you probably have the talent to rebuild yours. if not another good option is find a local machine shop to rebuild yours. it will be more expensive but normally local shops will use better parts and let you chose more of what brand you want to use. most big engine overhaul companies use cheaper offshore parts. my thing is i like to use american name brand parts from companies that have made parts for years in the USA. some of them have moved some things offshore but hopefully they have a decent quality control department. i like clevite bearings, kieth black silvolite pistons, but the most important thing to me is the lifters must be made in the USA. a big C cam company wont say where they were made when i asked. so to me that means offshore. Crower cams told me they used Johnson lifters when i asked. they are made in the USA.

oldschool
post #3 of 4 Old 02-16-2021, 08:53 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
I've heard Jasper has gone downhill but I don't know that from personal experience (just my mechanic complaining).

I've had good experiences with S&J up in WA state. I did get one bad motor from them, but they replaced it under warranty. The motor developed a crack in the block during break in...I'm told it probably had a hairline crack in it that was not able to be seen during inspection, and then when they bolted the head on it made it worse internally, and then it developed during hot/cold cycles. Not sure if that's BS or not, but they did replace it. They paid me for my time and shipped me a new motor. Not that home installers get paid much by their warranty lol. But if you pony up a few extra hundred dollars they'll give you a gold warranty or some such.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2021, 11:30 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

I am 100% onboard with the Local Machine Shop opinion. Ask around at the local repair shops for a referral if you don't know anyone you can trust. If I needed an engine for mine I would probably look around for a rotted out jeep that I could run and drive and buy that. If you have someone rebuild yours it will probably run you 3K + if they do it right. Might be able to buy a junk jeep for a grand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in