Redline HEI Distributor - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
PegLegTreg

1979 CJ7 

Redline HEI Distributor

Anyone out there know anything about the HEI Distributor by Redline. Putting in a Weber 551-38 and some say this was made to compete against the DUI. Putting in a distributor as well and was going with a DUI but some say the Redline HEI was made for Redline Weber carb. Thank for your input if you know anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

I installed a Redline HEI on my 258 and it hasn't missed a beat. Granted, I don't have any experience with other distributors (other than the factory), but I've been exceptionally pleased with the Redline offering. Wiring instructions were spot on, and adjusting the mechanical and vacuum advance is a breeze.

Hoov

Edit: And I cannot say enough good things about the 38. My expectations were exceeded, no lie. Wish I'd done that instead of running the 32/36 for 13 years.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #3 of 28 Old 12-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Geek
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegLegTreg View Post
.......Putting in a Weber 551-38 and some say this was made to compete against the DUI. Putting in a distributor as well and was going with a DUI but some say the Redline HEI was made for Redline Weber carb. ......
I too put in a Weber 38 and it's a great addition. Redline offered great support while I was doing that. I used a DUI HEI and it was also a major improvement as well over the stock ignition system. Not sure I understand how a carb was made to "compete" with a distributor. I know that you can "play" with both (jets in the carb and weights in the diz to modify advance curve). I also know that if you buy the HEI from DUI you can call them and they will optimize the advance curve for the stock 258. I "think" but don't know for sure, that you can buy the DUI from other sources where it comes optimized. I bought my DUI from Summit that said it was for a 258 and it worked fine out of the box.

Geek

post #4 of 28 Old 12-31-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
PegLegTreg

1979 CJ7 

Not the carb compete against the dist. Redline makes a HEI Distributor to go with the Weber Carb. They did this to compete against the DUI HEI. My question was if anyone has info on the Redline(Weber) Distributor.

Did you use a fuel pressure regulator and gauge with your DUI. If so what did you use.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Geek
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegLegTreg View Post
.......Did you use a fuel pressure regulator and gauge with your DUI. If so what did you use.
Nope. Stock fuel pump, no regulator or gauge. Set it up with the right fuel filter (the stock one) that is correctly oriented. Orientation makes a difference I hear.

As a note, I did play with the springs on the DUI to get the advance to come on just a bit earlier than it was originally set up for.

G

Last edited by Geek; 12-31-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added DUI Note
post #6 of 28 Old 01-02-2018, 12:19 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

PegLegTreg,
I have $0.02 cents worth of opinion here that may be of some help.

I understand that DUI makes HEI units for many many types of engines. This is one of the companies that I know of that offers these HEI's and can adjust WHEN the total advance comes in with springs. Their parts are made in China (like everything) and they inspect, re-machine and assemble in the USA. I can't really find out their coil spec's, or module spec's etc.

REDLINE, has a Jeep 4.2, 4.0 H.E.I. distributer. The parts are made in China to their spec's, inspected, shipped to Ohio, inspected and assembled/made into their Jeep 6 cyl H.E.I. distributer.

REDLINE has their coils made and supplies the pure copper wire for windings and specs it out.
0.30 Ohms Primary Resistance
8.8K Secondary Resistance
4.4mH Primary Inductance
134:1 Turns Ratio
50,000 plus Output Voltage, (I find everyones output spec's funny)
This is a very High Performance coil....

The GM "style" 4 pin module is not made by GM.
This module is a High Performance 6 amp dwell limiting module to control the HP coil.

REDLINE uses the REDish cap and rotor:
Brass contact terminals, cap and rotor
Molded with 30% glass polyester in "PBT"
This makes a very strong, and high dielectric cap and rotor.

REDLINE has their aluminum housing made from 6061-T6 hot forged Aluminum
CNC machined and then surface treated.
The shaft is centerless ground and rides on an upper bearing and a extra long lower bronze Oil-lite bushing.

REDLINE uses an Iron Drive Gear, heat treated/hardened that is perfectly compatible with the stock cam gear.

REDLINE sells the complete conversion kit:
Complete H.E.I. distributor
"Bat & Tach" Connector
Advance Spring kit, for adjusting WHEN the total timing comes in IF necessary
Diode for the alternator, for possible alternator feed back causing engine run on
Relay, 30/40 amp S.P.D.T. and wire connector
Spark Plug Wires made for this conversion, using silicone 8mm very low resistance (250 Ohms)

The point here is when comparing the REDLINE and DUI Jeep 6 cyl HEI, it is hard to find the DUI information.
DUI is an outstanding company that makes many many HEI's for many unique applications.

Call REDLINE and DUI, I'm sure they will send you their spec's on this "one Jeep H.E.I." and then you can compare what it is you want from an H.E.I. distributor.

Most all HEI's have much more spark energy than the stock Duraspark ignition.

$0.02 worth
post #7 of 28 Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 AM
CJustin
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Hello,
I am looking for an HEI distributor to compliment a Weber DGEV I inherited on an '86 Cj7 258. Looking for reliability, drivability and efficiency. And need to pass emissions in Colorado but am having trouble with the Weber carb and partially disabled ECM controlling the timing advance.

I didn't find a Weber HEI distributor but I did find this Summit Racing branded HEI product SUM-850047
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850047
It's priced between the CRT and the DUI and it gets good reviews. It could be a good alternative from a trusted company vs an eBay vendor.

Questions:
1) where did you get a Weber HEI and how much is it?

2) does anyone have experience with the Summit branded HEI model?

Looking forward to getting plates and moving on from studying the ECU.

This is my first post so please don't roast me. I'm extremely appreciative of the resources on this site and all that I've learned here. Thank you!
post #8 of 28 Old 04-09-2018, 06:06 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJustin
2) does anyone have experience with the Summit branded HEI model?
Have had the Summit unit for few years now. No issues at all as yet. I did have a CRT unit prior to that which, near new, crapped itself on a long run. Lower bushing wore out to nothing and shaft rode up under highway revs grinding rotor into cap. Not pretty. Was able to fab up a bushing and it is still functional today but I only keep it as a back up. Maybe their quality is better these days?? I do like the sound of the Redline unit as described by UTN. I did not go DUI because it is speced/curved for a stock 258 as I understand it (and quite frankly with the US/ Aus exchange rate and delivery it would cost me around 600 of my dollarz!)

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-10-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
PegLegTreg

1979 CJ7 

Got the weber HEI right through redline. Called them, they helped me, and ordered it. Could go through a 2nd party but this was easier. It was about $40 lower than the DUI.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM
zrstonestreet
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Definitely listen to what uptillnow says on this subject!

He helped me through my entire build with the Redline 551-38 carb and HEI dizzy on my '85 258, and I can tell you, you made a great decision going with Redline. As long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. Redline did their homework before laying out their instructions. From the float level adjustment, to the idle speed setting when initially tuning (IMPORTANT!!!), everything has been covered.

As said prior, no fuel pressure regulator is needed with the carb, and the cam drive gear is iron, not steel. This is essential as a steel cam drive gear will eat your camshaft to pieces.

Also, I would recommend getting the heat riser intake adapter for your carburetor, especially if living in a colder climate. It utilizes the stock air filter heat riser cover and prevents your carb from turning into an ice block. The redline filter looks nice with the chrome, but I would still recommend the heat riser adapter.
Matt1981CJ7 and Hoover7 like this.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-21-2018, 04:01 AM
Hyproglo
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
REDLINE, has a Jeep 4.2, 4.0 H.E.I. distributer. The parts are made in China to their spec's, inspected, shipped to Ohio, inspected and assembled/made into their Jeep 6 cyl H.E.I. distributer.
uptillnow, do you have a link to their website where I can learn more about this distributor?

Thanks.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
PegLegTreg,
I have $0.02 cents worth of opinion here that may be of some help.

I understand that DUI makes HEI units for many many types of engines. This is one of the companies that I know that offers these HEI's and can adjust WHEN the total advance comes in with springs. Their parts are made in China (like everything) and they inspect, re-machine and assemble in the USA. I can't really find out their coil spec's, or module spec's etc.

REDLINE has their coils made and supplies the pure copper wire for windings and specs it out.
0.30 Ohms Primary Resistance
8.8K Secondary Resistance
4.4mH Primary Inductance
134:1 Turns Ratio
50,000 plus Output Voltage, (I find everyones output spec's funny)
This is a very High Performance coil....

The GM "style" 4 pin module is not made by GM.
This module is a High Performance 6 amp dwell limiting module to control the HP coil.

REDLINE uses the REDish cap and rotor:
Brass contact terminals, cap and rotor
Molded with 30% glass polyester in "PBT"
This makes a very strong, and high dielectric cap and rotor.

REDLINE has their aluminum housing made from 6061-T6 hot forged Aluminum
CNC machined and then surface treated.
The shaft is centerless ground and rides on an upper bearing and a extra long lower bronze Oil-lite bushing.

REDLINE uses an Iron Drive Gear, heat treated/hardened that is perfectly compatible with the stock cam gear.

REDLINE sells the complete conversion kit:
Complete H.E.I. distributor
"Bat & Tach" Connector
Advance Spring kit, for adjusting WHEN the total timing comes in IF necessary
Diode for the alternator, for possible alternator feed back causing engine run on
Relay, 30/40 amp S.P.D.T. and wire connector
Spark Plug Wires made for this conversion, using silicone 8mm very low resistance (250 Ohms)

The point here is when comparing the REDLINE and DUI Jeep 6 cyl HEI, it is hard to find the DUI information.
DUI is an outstanding company that makes many many HEI's for many unique applications.

Call REDLINE and DUI, I'm sure they will send you their spec's on this "one Jeep H.E.I." and then you can compare what it is you want from an H.E.I. distributor.

Most all HEI's have much more spark energy than the stock Duraspark ignition.

$0.02 worth
I'm not sure there's much more to learn than this, Hyproglo.

Just call Tom at Redline. He'll answer anything you need to know about the Redline distributor and Weber carbs.

Matt
uptillnow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 28 Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Hyproglo
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Just call Tom at Redline. He'll answer anything you need to know about the Redline distributor and Weber carbs.

Matt
I tried searching for more information online. I found info on Redline fuel delivery systems but nothing on distributors and no reference to Ohio.

I probably had the wrong website, so I thought it would be worth it to ask.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 PM
shaneB
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyproglo View Post
I tried searching for more information online. I found info on Redline fuel delivery systems but nothing on distributors and no reference to Ohio.

I probably had the wrong website, so I thought it would be worth it to ask.
You have the right site. They told me that they can't take my money and referred me to a third party company that took 3 people to know what I was trying to order. Hung up and ordered DUI
Hyproglo likes this.
post #15 of 28 Old 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Matt
I would call Tom at REDLINE, he would take your money, send the spec sheet to you, and answer your questions to the best of his knowledge.
UTN
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in