Recommendations- New Seats for 76 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Question Recommendations- New Seats for 76 CJ5

As I continue on my restoration of my 1976 Jeep CJ5... I have pretty much decided to go with a Tan interior.

So needing some help and recommendations on which brand of Seats has best quality and fit- Thinking I will keep the low back original look in front and the standard bench look in the back.

Looking at the following brands- BestTop- SmittyBilt- Rugged Ridge... seems there is some pros and cons on some being a direct bolt on to my stock frames.

Looking for the best quality and that rich tan color like pic below. Hope you all can give me some solid advice on what has worked well in your jeep 5.

1976 CJ5

Frame Off Restoration underway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 AM
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

To the best of my knowledge all or most of the aftermarket seats are made in China. Therefore, quality control will change from one production run to the next. A brand considered adequate 5 years ago can easily change due to contracting of different companies. If it was my decision I would have them reupholstered. Better choice of colors and choice of superior quality fabric/foam and you know it will directly bolt up.
walkerhoundvm likes this.
post #3 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk71 View Post
To the best of my knowledge all or most of the aftermarket seats are made in China. Therefore, quality control will change from one production run to the next. A brand considered adequate 5 years ago can easily change due to contracting of different companies. If it was my decision I would have them reupholstered. Better choice of colors and choice of superior quality fabric/foam and you know it will directly bolt up.

Thanks for this- That is where I am right now on this is if I just take the original seats and have them re-done or roll the dice on new updated seats....

Appreciate the feedback

1976 CJ5

post #4 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 11:22 AM
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

Your welcome,

If you do decide to use high back seats the early YJ type are the only ones that I have found that will work. The cj needs a thinner than normal seat pad otherwise you may sit to tall. The aftermarket seats I replaced with yj seats where advertised for the Cj but where much thicker than original and it made it difficult to see the traffic lights when stopped at an intersection. Also, I now have more room between my legs and the steering wheel.

Very nice looking CJ BTW.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd have the stock seats redone.

If doing all, or even just fronts, that's your best chance to have them match, and you can choose the exact material/ pattern you want.

A good time to upgrade the foam if needed as well.

Also- is yours an original Levi's model? If so; Do you plan to keep the Levi theme on the seats?

Hoss

If you had to choose between World Peace and a Jeep, what size tires would you run?
post #6 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

No my 76 is not the Levi edition.... but have decided to paint mine in White and really like the looks of the one I have pictured in my first post below.

Here are some pics of my seats and current condition.

Before tear down-

Current conditions of seat- The Driver seat has some pretty serious rust rot on the rear seat frame that will need to be repaired and the foams are pretty much deteriorated for sure...

The Rear Seat Foam and frame is in much better condition.

And now the consideration of cost to get old set up as new again vs. just going with aftermarket... I do need the seats to be same height for sure as I do not need to be raised up in this rig being 6"5 lol!

1976 CJ5

post #7 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Just spoke to locale guy with a great reputation in the area- $700 to $900 range to redo foams- covers both Front and back.... Price sounds reasonable to me.

Sounds like the way to go and then I know everything will be the same fit wise.... and can get that perfect rich tan color that is important as well.

Will run them by to him tomorrow to get a final quote and see some material options.

1976 CJ5

post #8 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

Also, I would look into qualities of different vinyl fabrics. I have some old Military surplus vinyl YJ seats and the vinyl is still in great shape. Appears to be much thicker and softer than most OEM vinyl. Would be a shame to spend that kind of money and effort just to have some poor quality chinese fabric installed. Might be worth your time to research that.
post #9 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

I agree- Once I can physically see/feel the material samples it will sure make it easier.

I am almost thinking of a vinyl that would have marine qualities for moisture resistant and UV protection... I really do not mind spending the money for quality that will last many years.

And may even shoot for the levi look/design while I am at it...

1976 CJ5

post #10 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 PM
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

Marine grade can be a step up from standard consumer grade, which is generally garbage. You might also want to look at industrial or commercial grade I think it would be better than even marine. I'm sure you upholsterer knows more about this than I do but it would be worth looking into. Also, If your concerned about UV look into 303 UV vinyl protectant. It's like armor all but better.
gfrench likes this.
post #11 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM
agearnew
1984 CJ7 

My brother in law had bestop seats and they came apart pretty quick. My smittybuilt, of all brands, have held up awesome and are comfy to boot. I have the high back seat
gfrench likes this.
post #12 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Hotrodssnova

1981 CJ5 

Don't forget that the steel in the seats might need attention. On my 81 cj5,I replaced the support wires on the front seats. Made a HUGE difference. I have the best top covers on top of unknown covers on top of the original vinyl. I know, lots of layers. That will be addressed soon.
Check the metal of the seats, and go from there. If its rotten, might source something else.
gfrench likes this.
post #13 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for this info.... always good to hear what has worked or not worked from experience.

1976 CJ5

post #14 of 43 Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodssnova View Post
Don't forget that the steel in the seats might need attention. On my 81 cj5,I replaced the support wires on the front seats. Made a HUGE difference. I have the best top covers on top of unknown covers on top of the original vinyl. I know, lots of layers. That will be addressed soon.
Check the metal of the seats, and go from there. If its rotten, might source something else.

Running the seats over to guy tomorrow and will sure have him look at this-

1976 CJ5

post #15 of 43 Old 12-12-2018, 06:53 PM
clarkg
1980 CJ7 

Garage
I have smittybilt high back standard seats in my cj5. Very pleased with them and they fit me great. I am 6'2" 250.
gfrench likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in