rebuilt steering column - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
codyp8
1983 CJ7 

rebuilt steering column

i purchased a rebuilt tilt steering column for my old one. the new one doesnt have the inner shaft with it and i am having a hard time getting the old one to break loose. Can i salvage it or will i have to purchase a new one and if salvagable any suggestions on how to get it off

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Do you got a pic of what you are looking at? The steering column is held on by 2 bolts under dash, 4 on the firewall with a upper and lower flange, a coupler with a carriage bolt for the steering shaft to the box, another coupler and thats it. That can be a pain to remove, I think that is what you are referring to. Use a pry bar or just yank it all out and separate them.

85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
codyp8
1983 CJ7 

naw its the shaft inside the column itself. for some reason the new steering column didn't come with the shaft that connects about halfway inside the column and runs to the end of the column

post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
479AZ

1978 CJ7 

If you're talking about the steering shaft itself I just did mine and it wasn't too bad. The shaft has a circlip that prevents it from coming out towards the driver, it butts up against the upper bearing. Pull the column and disconnect it at the swivel joint. At the end of the column you remove the spring clip, that will allow you to remove the lower bearing carrier (plastic) and bearing, the shaft then will slide out towards the front of the vehicle. You may have to tap it with a brass hammer to get the upper bearing to let go but it shouldn't be that hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in