Rebuilding 3 tilt Columns at once. Got a bunch of questions...assistance appreciated. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 96 Old 05-04-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopJock View Post
I think powder coating these is a step too far. Use epoxy paint.
That was my concern also. Powder is just so easy. Drop a load off of same color and boom. Comes back in a week perfect with zero effort as opposed to all the prep, setup and mess that is involved with painting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 05-13-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

After some freelance work got in the way. I am now getting ready to repaint my bare columns. The plastics when new were gloss.

What finish was the stock steering column (under the dash) from the factory?

flat, matte, semigloss?
post #63 of 96 Old 05-13-2020, 05:05 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just looked at both the 87 and 94 columns. I would lean toward matte.
weapon likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #64 of 96 Old 05-22-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Still waiting on paint to arrive...

Guess i will work on other items in the meantime.
post #65 of 96 Old 05-27-2020, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Paint has arrived finally! Prepped the columns with self etching primer yesterday and will be shooting paint this afternoon. Hopefully will start full reassembly of one of 2 this weekend.

Then I will start asking all the questions about getting it back together correctly. Haha
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3345.jpg  
post #66 of 96 Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Painting is done. Used an awesome paint called Speedkote Hot rod black. It was a great match for oem color/sheen, a simple 4 to 1 mix and very forgiving.

Just need to pick up some grease and new red 271 loctite for the 4 bolts.

What grease should I pick up? High temp Red and tacky?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3359.jpg   71y2HQ6o30L._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
post #67 of 96 Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
Painting is done. Used an awesome paint called Speedkote Hot rod black. It was a great match for oem color, a simple 4 to 1 mix and very forgiving.

Just need to pick up some grease and new red 271 loctite for the 4 bolts.

What grease should I pick up? High temp Red and tacky?
In would use whatever grease I have laying around. I always have kendall blue or red synthetic or even shooterschoice for gun parts. It is not a high load or high temp area. I use shooters choice in turn signal switches, light switches, etc that I have taken apart and reconditioned and cleaned. It works well even in very cold temps.

As far as Loctite. I would steer towards the blue and be mindful of the torque that I put on the fasteners. Red Loctite can really blow if you ever have to go back in and take something apart again. Blue works really well on rifle scopes and mounts and they take a lot more abuse than your steering column ever will.

Your paint job looks awesome. Nice work.
weapon likes this.

post #68 of 96 Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
In would use whatever grease I have laying around. I always have kendall blue or red synthetic or even shooterschoice for gun parts. It is not a high load or high temp area. I use shooters choice in turn signal switches, light switches, etc that I have taken apart and reconditioned and cleaned. It works well even in very cold temps.

As far as Loctite. I would steer towards the blue and be mindful of the torque that I put on the fasteners. Red Loctite can really blow if you ever have to go back in and take something apart again. Blue works really well on rifle scopes and mounts and they take a lot more abuse than your steering column ever will.

Your paint job looks awesome. Nice work.
Got some red n tacky.

Luckily the 4 bolts that I will be using the red loctite on will never need to be accessed again unless I do another full breakdown. I will be using blue for the other stuff higher in column.

Been jamming on other Jeep parts at the moment. Will get back to the rebuild when I get some extra time. Thanks for looking and the advice.
post #69 of 96 Old 06-18-2020, 07:04 AM
Utah_Vol

Rebuilding 3 tilt Columns at once. Got a bunch of questions...assistance appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopJock View Post
Those two wires are for the key warning (busser if you forget to remove the key) found in YJ Jeeps 1987 and up to ??. Not found on CJs.

The upper and lower parts of the steering shaft slide into each other as a safety item in the event of a collision. You should be able to pull out or push in a little to adjust the lengths.

I used Crown turn signal switch. Seems fine to me. I also use Omix lower steering column bearing, but found the wire spring that holds the bearing retainer in place was too short and could not be used. I salvaged my old one which worked fine.

Sorry I had what probably was a dumb question but found what I was looking for after asking. Iím new at this forum thing and havenít quite mastered how to delete post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #70 of 96 Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Vol View Post
Sorry I had what probably was a dumb question but found what I was looking for after asking. Iím new at this forum thing and havenít quite mastered how to delete post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No questions are dumb.

Lots of us have questions that require a simple answer from knowledgeable folks or just need some reassurance from fellow jeepers to give us the confidence to move forward with the task.

Ask as many questions as you like. People here are very helpful and courteous unlike some other places. That is why I am doing my rebuild here with the help of the group.
post #71 of 96 Old 06-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
No questions are dumb.

Lots of us have questions that require a simple answer from knowledgeable folks or just need some reassurance from fellow jeepers to give us the confidence to move forward with the task.

Ask as many questions as you like. People here are very helpful and courteous unlike some other places. That is why I am doing my rebuild here with the help of the group.
Amen. There are no dumb questions. Some forums have people that are inconsiderate and downright rude to somebody with a simple question and give responses like search the sticky threads, the FAQ, did you do a search? etc. The answer may or may not be in the stickies, FAQ's or search functions. The search functions can suck.

YJ folks on the F 12 are just downright good people.... Ask away. Somebody will help you with an answer or guide you to the sticky, FAQ or whatever without treating you like a pile of poop.

Hey. Maybe the new YJ guy doesn't work well with a computer, has bad internet, did not hit the right key words to find the info.... blah blah blah.

It is hip to be square and a lot of us folks are passionate about that....

post #72 of 96 Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Today I installed the Dorman HELP! Turn Signal Cam (Part # 49302) that I had ordered. 2 cams come in the package. Neither were an exact match to what I took out and I had to bend the prongs slightly on the contacts from the old cam to make them fit the new cam. I got the switch installed and was looking forward to going in for lunch (100 F degrees in Sacramento today) only to find out that the turn signal lever was wider than the slot on the new cam. Not only that, but there was a little triangular piece of flashing in the corner of the slot. I used a very sharp carving chisel to remove the plastic and a Dermal and a file to narrow the turn signal lever (it has cruise control on the end of the lever so it may be different than some levers). I did not want to widen the slot in the cam because that is exactly where they break. Usually I modify the least expensive or the replacement part but not this time.

I think I am really going to enjoy not having a floppy turn signal lever.
weapon likes this.
post #73 of 96 Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

It is supposed to rain this week so after I get my hardtop painted, I will be back on the columns. I did some test fitting and already have some reassembly questions for the group.
post #74 of 96 Old 07-13-2020, 08:51 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

So how are these coming?
I'm near the same stage with my column..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #75 of 96 Old 07-14-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
So how are these coming?
I'm near the same stage with my column..
i am still in the same place. All over the dinner table. Work got in the way.
John Strenk and Boojo35 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in