Rebuilding 3 tilt Columns at once. Got a bunch of questions...assistance appreciated. - JeepForum.com
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 04-13-2020, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Rebuilding 3 tilt Columns at once. Got a bunch of questions...assistance appreciated.

So I have 3 saginaw columns in my possession at the moment.

1 - Column (original) from my 83 CJ7 Laredo (completely torn down as of yesterday). Stripped and ready for paint. (in photo)

2 - Column that I got in trade. Year unknown but a CJ (or a yj). Decent shape and will use it as needed to figure out how to reassemble others (far left)

3 - Column (eBay purchase). Super clean and very tight. Only thing it needs is new turn signal switch and some minor parts. Have minor concern that will be asked and hopefully answered below.

Stay tuned, going to be question and photo heavy. Once done I will put together a complete write up with photos in focus.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3077.jpg  
John Strenk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 04-13-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

First question:

Column 3 is a perfect match for both columns (1&2). But the shaft extends further than both.

Can someone explain this? Why are the shafts different lengths?
Attached Thumbnails
Table shaft measure.jpg   Tip comparrison.jpg   Tip measure.jpg  
post #3 of 73 Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Basic parts purchase questions (Only want to rebuild these one time so quality matters):

Is Crown the only supplier of parts for the columns except for the dealership? (omix is garbage and I will stay away from them due to past experiences)

Is there any difference in part quality? Worth the price at the dealership?

I am going to need new bearings and turn signal switches for starters.

Grease:

Any special kind I should purchase to lube the column during rebuild?

post #4 of 73 Old 04-13-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Turn signal switch question:

I have 2 different types inside column #1 and #2. See attached photo.

What are the extra wires for? Does this photo help determine what year column # 2 came from?
Attached Thumbnails
turn wiring.jpg  
post #5 of 73 Old 04-13-2020, 03:27 PM
ShopJock
1980 CJ5 

Two extra wires

Those two wires are for the key warning (busser if you forget to remove the key) found in YJ Jeeps 1987 and up to ??. Not found on CJs.

The upper and lower parts of the steering shaft slide into each other as a safety item in the event of a collision. You should be able to pull out or push in a little to adjust the lengths.

I used Crown turn signal switch. Seems fine to me. I also use Omix lower steering column bearing, but found the wire spring that holds the bearing retainer in place was too short and could not be used. I salvaged my old one which worked fine.
John Strenk and weapon like this.

I only need the tools that I can't find.

Last edited by ShopJock; 04-13-2020 at 03:46 PM.
post #6 of 73 Old 04-13-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopJock View Post
Those two wires are for the key warning (buzzer if you forget to remove the key) found in YJ Jeeps 1987 and up to ??. Not found on CJs.
So this one was from a '87ish jeep. All the parts seem to be the same. Besides the buzzer wiring: is there any differences? Fully useable in a cj with no issues?

Quote:
The upper and lower parts of the steering shaft slide into each other as a safety item in the event of a collision. You should be able to pull out or push in a little to adjust the lengths.
The difference in length is not the housing but it seems the actual interior shaft which is not adjustable. Will the length be an issue when installing it to the steering shaft?

Quote:
I used Crown turn signal switch. Seems fine to me. I also use Omix lower steering column bearing, but found the wire spring that holds the bearing retainer in place was too short and could not be used. I salvaged my old one which worked fine.
I am going to upgrade my lower steering part. https://www.wolffeng.com/store/p2/M1...e_Bearing.html Anyone have this?
post #7 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 07:18 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post
So this one was from a '87ish jeep. All the parts seem to be the same. Besides the buzzer wiring: is there any differences? Fully useable in a cj with no issues?
Yes, in fact CJ's had these contacts. They were just not connected to anything.

Quote:
The difference in length is not the housing but it seems the actual interior shaft which is not adjustable. Will the length be an issue when installing it to the steering shaft?

I am going to upgrade my lower steering part. https://www.wolffeng.com/store/p2/M1...e_Bearing.html Anyone have this?
Several people have used these and like them on this forum. Do they make them for the upper bearing also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #8 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 AM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I have the Wolff Engineering lower bearing assembly. I HIGHLY recommend it! Fantastic engineering, great manufacturing and the product flat works. Great upgrade to the lower bearing.
Shawn
jakesdad likes this.
post #9 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby533 View Post
I have the Wolff Engineering lower bearing assembly. I HIGHLY recommend it! Fantastic engineering, great manufacturing and the product flat works. Great upgrade to the lower bearing.
Shawn
Ordered it last night. Expensive but will probably be the last thing I need to make my steering rock solid.

H1 box > MORE HD brace > Flaming River HD steering shaft > wolffeng lower > new uppers.

If anything else is wrong, it will be be reassembly error on my part.
post #10 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Yes, in fact CJ's had these contacts. They were just not connected to anything.
Great. I will proceed with that build as is. Ordered 2 new crown turn signal switches to replace the ones that are cracked and brittle.

Quote:
Several people have used these and like them on this forum. Do they make them for the upper bearing also?
I wish. I would gladly pay $100 for a sealed upper bearing design from them.

Could you image? Just install and forget about it. Probably would last 100 years and no more wobbling as bearings fall out onto the floorboards when you least expect it. haha
post #11 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 10:55 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon View Post

Could you image? Just install and forget about it. Probably would last 100 years and no more wobbling as bearings fall out onto the floorboards when you least expect it. haha
So true. So true. I wonder if I ever got all the ones back into my column...

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #12 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
So true. So true. I wonder if I ever got all the ones back into my column...
I know I did not. That is why I am at this stage.
post #13 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Striking out on finding the steering lock plate cover. I thought I had seen them available ($19) on a random website but lost the link and cannot find it again. Missing 2 of them for my 3 columns. Anyone know of the stash?

GM part number 7819738
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3084.jpg  
post #14 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
weapon
1983 CJ7 

One of the bonuses about working on 3 column at once is that items break in differently in each and you can use the parts to combine into one fully working part. Since I have on order 2 new crown Turn signal switches (just in case), I went about eliminating the parts that are broken or brittle or unusable from the old switches.

Upon inspection, I noticed that 2 of the switches had broken plastics at the turn signal switch attachment. Dorman part #49300 (about $10) will replace just the top section. I transplanted all of the best parts from the old to combine to make a renewed part. Pretty simple but save me at least $20+.

One question: During final reassembly, do I add dialectic grease to the locations of the dual arrows in image 3?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3087.jpg   IMG_3089.jpg   IMG_3088.jpg  
John Strenk likes this.
post #15 of 73 Old 04-14-2020, 04:41 PM
wolff eng

On Ebay, search "CAMARO STEERING COLUMN LOCK PLATE COVER GM". This forum won't allow me to post links yet. $19 + shipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in