Rear wheels only turn in 4LO - JeepForum.com
 7Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
specv510
1984 CJ7 

Rear wheels only turn in 4LO

I've been rebuilding my CJ7 for almost a year now. Finally got it running and driving a few weeks ago, but I'm having an issue. The rear wheels only turn in 4LO. This is my first Jeep and first 4x4 so I'm not sure what to check. Is there an adjustment to be made to the linkage? Jeep has the 4.2l, SM465 4spd with adapter mated to the Dana 300. A previous owner installed a locker in the rear with 3.73 gears, but the front remains 2.73. I removed the front driveline until I can replace the front gears. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 10:43 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by specv510 View Post
I've been rebuilding my CJ7 for almost a year now. Finally got it running and driving a few weeks ago, but I'm having an issue. The rear wheels only turn in 4LO. This is my first Jeep and first 4x4 so I'm not sure what to check. Is there an adjustment to be made to the linkage? Jeep has the 4.2l, SM465 4spd with adapter mated to the Dana 300. A previous owner installed a locker in the rear with 3.73 gears, but the front remains 2.73. I removed the front driveline until I can replace the front gears. Any ideas?
OOps Reread-rewriting

It could be the lever is not moving all the way into 2 or 4 high.
remove the boot around the t-case lever and see if it's hitting something or not traveling all the way.

There should be two rods coming out of the t-case. see if both are moving.

A lot easier to see if you remove the tunnel cover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
specv510
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
OOps Reread-rewriting

It could be the lever is not moving all the way into 2 or 4 high.
remove the boot around the t-case lever and see if it's hitting something or not traveling all the way.

There should be two rods coming out of the t-case. see if both are moving.

A lot easier to see if you remove the tunnel cover.

Good thing I already have the tunnel cover off---since the PO didn't install a bolt at the top of the tranny and I had gear oil spilling out of it when I took it for a test drive!

I was sitting inside the Jeep with rear axle on jack stands and shifting through the TC. I could look down to see the front output while doing this. Starting in the farthest forward position (4L) I could see the front output spinning slowly and the rear tires were spinning too. Neutral seemed to be neutral. 2H and 4H both had the front output spinning at a faster rate than when in 4L, but the rear didn't spin at all? Sometimes the 4WD indicator light would come on in 4L, but not always. In 4H it always came on. It also felt like there were three setting in between 4L and 4H?

I'll check tonight to see if both rods are moving.

post #4 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 12:01 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Were both shafts moving?

I'll see if I can put one together and see the correct positions of the shafts.

Name:  D300Shiftertogether.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  86.0 KB

The shaft on the left sitting in the jeep is for the rear axle
The shaft on the right is for the front axle.

post #5 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 12:43 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

You can also drop the inspection cover on the 300 and observe the fork movement through all the positions. This will tell you if you have a rod issue, loose/worn fork, or problems with the gears.
John Strenk likes this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #6 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
specv510
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Were both shafts moving?

I'll see if I can put one together and see the correct positions of the shafts.

Attachment 3888701

The shaft on the left sitting in the jeep is for the rear axle

The shaft on the right is for the front axle.

I didn稚 pay attention to them. I値l check this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Tinker0000
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
A previous owner installed a locker in the rear with 3.73 gears, but the front remains 2.73. I removed the front driveline until I can replace the front gears. Any ideas?

There may be your problem. The front ring may be broken or something since it has a different ratio than the rear, you didn't say whether or not it was ever driven like this ether before you bought it or if you didn't know it was like this. The transfer case could be screwed up from the mismatched gearing as well.

Maybe it's something else.

Also with no resistance on the front yoke, it may do weird things. If you remove the rear driveshaft, install the front and lock your hubs, does it drive now in 4WL?
post #8 of 46 Old 02-13-2020, 04:40 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker0000 View Post
There may be your problem. The front ring may be broken or something since it has a different ratio than the rear, you didn't say whether or not it was ever driven like this ether before you bought it or if you didn't know it was like this. The transfer case could be screwed up from the mismatched gearing as well.

Maybe it's something else.

Also with no resistance on the front yoke, it may do weird things. If you remove the rear driveshaft, install the front and lock your hubs, does it drive now in 4WL?

Yeah but he should find out why the rear axle isn’t turning first.

post #9 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 06:28 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Basic question but I'll ask it. Are your front hubs locked? I'll bet I'm not the only one to ask why 4WD isn't working when I forgot to lock the hubs.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #10 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 06:42 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Basic question but I'll ask it. Are your front hubs locked? I'll bet I'm not the only one to ask why 4WD isn't working when I forgot to lock the hubs.
He took out the front drive shaft because the front axle has a different ratio. Locking the hubs probable would't matter at this point.

It's the rear axle that only works in 4WD low.

We have to figure out why the rear axle doesn't turn in 4 Hi or 2 Hi.

I think we may have to do a JeepDaddy2000 suggests and drop the inspection pan on the t-case.

post #11 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Is the Dana 300 in the factory position or has it been rotated up with the clocking ability of the adapter? When you spin it up to get flat belly, it is possible that the shifter is contacting something and not moving far enough. You said that the cover is off, can you snap a couple of pictures of the shifter in 4low and then in the position that should be 4 high or 2 high?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #12 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
specv510
1984 CJ7 

I only had a few minutes to look at it last night. TC is not clocked. Both rods were moving on the linkage, but I知 not sure how they池e supposed to move? It did seem like there was some slop so I値l have to look into that. If I have time tonight I値l dig into it some more and take some pics. Otherwise it値l be Saturday. Thanks for all the help so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 10:58 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
He took out the front drive shaft because the front axle has a different ratio. Locking the hubs probable would't matter at this point.

It's the rear axle that only works in 4WD low.

We have to figure out why the rear axle doesn't turn in 4 Hi or 2 Hi.

I think we may have to do a JeepDaddy2000 suggests and drop the inspection pan on the t-case.
Sorry brain faht!

I'll learn to read or better yet remember what I did read one of these days.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #14 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
specv510
1984 CJ7 

Also, when I first got the Jeep I changed the oil in the front axle and that's when I discovered it was still 2.73. The ring & pinon both looked fine though. I guess that doesn't mean anything since, if he drove it in 4WD, something in the TC could have been the weak link and broke.
post #15 of 46 Old 02-14-2020, 07:49 PM
CSP

Quote:
A previous owner installed a locker in the rear with 3.73 gears, but the front remains 2.73. I removed the front driveline until I can replace the front gears. Any ideas?
Edit: Read more replies after posting so guessing this isn't it.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought only the rear wheels work when it's shifted into 4lo, as in everything is fine in the other tcase selections.

Turns out they only work if it's shifted into 4lo.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in