Rear tub/wheel wells are spreading out - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By keith460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Rear tub/wheel wells are spreading out

I've known about this looming issue for a while, but as my welding skills improve, I'm closing in on the day when I'm going to have to deal with all this. As you can see in the first picture, the rear of the tub is sort of "opening up" on the driver's side. There are probably a lot of reasons for this, such as the bed is pretty much non-existent. Although it seems to be off-kilter only on the driver's side, which may be relevant IDK.

image0.jpg
image1.jpg

(awesome, looks like they are rotated 90*)

So my question is around how do I go about squaring this thing back up? Particularly because I know my roll bar has massive, massive rust underneath and I'm afraid this whole thing is only as square as it is because the roll bar is keeping it drawn in.

What I feel like I need to do is somehow square it up, and then weld in maybe two braces across the top of the tub to bear the load. Or something else, I'm totes making this up as I go. I feel like I saw somebody else rig up something like this a while back. I'm open to ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 02:57 PM
DutchJPR

1986 CJ7 

Garage
I don't see your rear crossmember, is it still in place? Your tailgate lower corners seem to be cracked......

Dutch builds: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dutch-build-1231816/
post #3 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
I don't see your rear crossmember, is it still in place? Your tailgate lower corners seem to be cracked......
Yeah, I have no shortage of problems. Rear crossmember (we're talking about the one that essentially caps the end of the frame rails?) is currently removed. I need to fix the rear body mounts before I can put it back on. Maybe that needs to be a priority? So much to do, it's hard to know where to start sometimes.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 06:27 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

For what is worth, replace the Tailgate Support: https://www.classicent.com/products/...te-end-support
You'll be miles ahead in repair work labor time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7818.jpg  
Jim1611 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #5 of 11 Old 05-29-2020, 07:30 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Hows the rest of the tub? We see the rear cross member is bad and you say the bed is bad.....and lots of rust under the roll bar feet.
It might be time for a tub replacement. For the time, cost, and overall BS factor, it might really be worth it.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
2012 JKUR RHD
post #6 of 11 Old 05-30-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Hows the rest of the tub? We see the rear cross member is bad and you say the bed is bad.....and lots of rust under the roll bar feet.
It might be time for a tub replacement. For the time, cost, and overall BS factor, it might really be worth it.
IDK, it's probably not quite as bad as I've made it out to be. I've read some of the other threads, and I see a lot of the same issues. I've got a plan in my head for fixing a lot of it...understanding how the panels fit together is helping it all come together in my head.

Truth is my wife would never go for it. The fact that it sat untouched for so long in my garage is probably the biggest factor...no way I can justify spending another however much and essentially tripling my garage footprint (temporarily, anyway). Especially since I'm part of the not-so-exclusive Corona Layoff Club. I have the welder, I have the sheet metal, and I have some time. At the very least I need to start in on it just so I can learn how. Better to learn on a crap tub than a good one, right?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
For what is worth, replace the Tailgate Support: https://www.classicent.com/products/...te-end-support
You'll be miles ahead in repair work labor time.
I need to clean up that section and see what I'm working with.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What shape are your body mounts in?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-30-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
What shape are your body mounts in?

Matt
The mounts themselves are actually fine, although the caged nuts are rotted out in a few cases, and the bolts broke in a few others. The ones in the toe board still need looked at, I think I resolved all the other ones. I have some front floorboard rust, I figure I'll get a much better look at the toe board once I de-cancer that section.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-30-2020, 10:40 AM
DutchJPR

1986 CJ7 

Garage
Start with the crossmember, than you have an nice straight base to continue on the bodywork. A 2" by 4" angle iron will do.

Dutch builds: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dutch-build-1231816/
post #11 of 11 Old 05-30-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
hbar
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchJPR View Post
Start with the crossmember, than you have an nice straight base to continue on the bodywork. A 2" by 4" angle iron will do.
I have a replacement heavy duty crossmember, I think from somebody on here or another jeep forum... I don't think there's anything stopping me from mounting that sucker other than throwing some paint on it. I guess I'll get on that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in