Rear side marker lights - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By schardein

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
AMCJeeps

Garage
Rear side marker lights

On my 84 CJ7 I do not have rear side marker lights, looking at pictures online it appears many CJ7's don't. As near as I can tell my Jeep has original sheetmetal. Were rear side marker lights an option? Did certain years not have them? Did it vary by option package or by state the vehicle was originally sold? My painless wiring harness came with the wires for the rear side marker lights, I am trying to decide if I should drill holes and install them or cut the wires off. I'm leaning towards cutting the wires because that is easier, but the jeep is otherwise very original so if it is supposed to have rear marker lights I'd like to install them.

84 CJ7 Renegade
87 XJ Laredo
97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2019, 01:24 AM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Here's the deal. CJs had the rear side marker lights up to 1980. In 1981, they deleted the side marker from the body, and incorporated it in the side of the box style tail lights. Earlier box tail lights did not have the marker light on the side since it was on the body. If you are doing a restoration, an 84 would not have the rear body lights. If you are converting to flush mounted (trailer type) rear lights which is pretty common, you could add the body side markers to maintain a light that is viewable from the side.
back9k9 likes this.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #3 of 4 Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
AMCJeeps

Garage
That is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm doing a restoration. so I am going to remove the wires from the painless harness. Thanks!!

84 CJ7 Renegade
87 XJ Laredo
97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

post #4 of 4 Old 12-14-2019, 05:07 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Even though the 84' model year did not have the side marker lights, the wiring was there. No need to cut the plugs off, just let it hang like the factory did.
Attached Thumbnails
Side Marker Wire.jpg  

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in