3Likes
  • 2 Post By JEEPFELLER
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-26-2021, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
GA1984Cj7
1984 CJ7 

Rear Drive Shaft not spinning...

Well as I bring this Cj7 back to life, found another new problem...

I was driving the Cj in the neighborhood had a little noise at the start of a hill.
I took the hill slowly and made it. As I pulled into my driveway, I switched
gears and the jeep did not respond. No matter which gear I used, the jeep would
not move. Rear drive shaft was not spinning.

Locked the front hubs, but in 4wd H and drove up the drive way and parked the Cj in the garage.
Since the rear drive shaft was just working could this be an easy fix? Or since the CJ has been
sitting for so many years it needs rebuilt? (CJ is very much a street Jeep)
I called two transmission shops both said 3 to 4 weeks before they could get to it.

I am curious how complicated it is to pull the dana 300 from the Jeep and open it up to see
what damage there might be. If you know of any good Youtube video of this process please post.
Will most likely wait the weeks, but in the mean time do a little learning on the process.
#tryingtodrivemyCJagain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-26-2021, 01:05 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

For sure that the rear shaft isn't spinning and the you haven't spun a hub on the amc 20? shift rods moving correctly on the transfercase when you move the shifter? the dana 300 rear output has been known to shear off, but I would think that you would kill the t-5 before you killed the transfercase.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 13 Old 10-26-2021, 01:16 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Have to been back in 2WD?

It could be possible that your transfer case stick was bumped "almost" about to jump into neutral.

.....and it did when you were on and off the gas when you drove him.

When you stuck him in 4 high---you may very well have "Just took him out of neutral"???

Maybe it was a false alarm scare???

When I was in 1st Ranger Battalion in the '80s---I'd guess well over 50% of the fellers had CJs, sometimes we'd walk by one in the parking lot

and shift his transfer case into neutral, it was particularly fun to watch if you knew he had to go somewhere!

-----JEEPFELLER
mikeyboat and basod like this.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-26-2021, 01:26 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
As Fourtrail was talking about,

Did you witness the driveshaft not turning with your eyes?

If will remove the OEM dust cap off of both axle ends

Put your wheels back on (if you took them off)

Put it in 2WD---have helper WATCH the nuts, one at a time (that were under the caps) while you let out on the clutch

If either nut spins---and the wheel does not-----you have stripped one of your axles/ hub (of course the driveshaft would turn to do this)

By chance---have you tried to do a burnout--even a slight one recently???

If you have stripped one, replacing both axles with a one-piece axle set might be your next move.

----JEEPFELLER
post #5 of 13 Old 10-27-2021, 07:17 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1984Cj7 View Post

I am curious how complicated it is to pull the dana 300 from the Jeep and open it up to see
what damage there might be.
#tryingtodrivemyCJagain
If you determine the driveline isn't turning, you can drop the inspection plate on the bottom of the t case and observe the gears without removing the housing.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #6 of 13 Old 10-27-2021, 08:41 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
If you determine the driveline isn't turning, you can drop the inspection plate on the bottom of the t case and observe the gears without removing the housing.
Don't forget to drain the oil first.... Just saying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 13 Old 10-27-2021, 08:43 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Don't forget to drain the oil first.... Just saying.

words of wisdom or words of experience?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #8 of 13 Old 10-27-2021, 09:39 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
words of wisdom or words of experience?
Recent experience actually. But not on a jeep. Ever hear of a "Wet Cylinder Liner" and the removal there of?

Mistakes were made....

and there is always the , " I can remove the oil pan without spilling anything" mentality.....
bob4703 likes this.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-06-2021, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
GA1984Cj7
1984 CJ7 

Sorry for the delay in responding.... I didn't actually see it, so I tested again and recorded it on my phone. It is spinning in 2wd with all tires on the ground (so something is stripped). I will re-read everyone notes and check out some youtube videos. Thank you again!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-06-2021, 10:51 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in responding.... I didn't actually see it, so I tested again and recorded it on my phone. It is spinning in 2wd with all tires on the ground (so something is stripped). I will re-read everyone notes and check out some youtube videos. Thank you again!
Do you still have the stock two piece axle shafts (with the small center cap)? Pull the caps off and see if you can see the axle end turning. Suggest having a helper put it in gear and let the clutch out as you observe the axle ends.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2021, 03:50 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Do you still have the stock two piece axle shafts (with the small center cap)? Pull the caps off and see if you can see the axle end turning. Suggest having a helper put it in gear and let the clutch out as you observe the axle ends.
Good idea to have someone in the jeep just that one tile when the stripped hub will catch for a moment....

I never stripped a hub until I found out I had a tracklock in the rear axle so I added some friction modifier and pop! goes the spindle...

post #12 of 13 Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
The ole Hillbilly fix---until you have to go in and lube, replace bearings, or install a new axle set (like OEM) or the better one piece axles?

Have a really experienced Welder (using the correct stuff) weld a nice bead around the nut where the axle protrudes thru.

Sure---others will give their opinions. You will have to replace all of that axle on that side anyway.

Laugh at me-------Scold me------?

My #2 CJ-5 had this had this same exact issue as you in the mid '80s (all 5 of my previous "5"s -'cept this one, have spun an axle).

I was messing around up in the area of Six Mile sorta towards some where bob4703 lives in a shack (Before I met him on here).

Then it happened!

Would go and stop a few times and then "No Go" and a sound that reminded me of my uncle

momentarily throttling up his outboard at the lake----every time I let out on the clutch!

I know y'all ain't believin' my stories---but they are true---many experiences like the MacGyver Feller goes thru!

This time I was afoot till I made it to a farm house for assistance or to use the phone.

This feller and I took his tractor back down and he pulled me back to his house.

Most likely I was 10 miles or Less from Hinkle's Jeep Dealership---not that that really mattered----But,

This whole area was thickly scattered with Jeeps---I think CJs dominated.

The dude with the tractor had a friend come over as IGNORANT army feller listened to this new guy with some Jeep experience.

To get me out of there.......they used one battery, jumper cables and a welding rod. The new guy closed his eyes and free handed some

nasty spot welds and beads on the nut/ axle.

I followed him slowly and "clutch careful" to his place, where he fired up his Lincoln and welded it right!

Since then, I have some real basic shop welding experience and I have sometimes carried a few rods and

welding helmet lens in with my tools in my Jeeps, it and a little duct tape you can makeshift a helmet/ screen and not

have to shut your eyes! Other than show and tell, I have not made any critical repairs----yet!.......I do feel confident if I had to!

Below is a similar field expedient way.

-----JEEPFELLER
post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-2021, 11:30 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I've read a temp fix where they drilled a hole longitude into the axle and hub and drove in a piece of steel dowel rod or maybe a bolt. Acted like a shaft key for a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in