What if those are missing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 02:57 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Left side of diagram is the "Access Cover"

It keeps some dirt out of of the brakes (It can still get in from other crooks and crannies)

If this part gets lost, brake function will not be affected.

Every thing else in the diagram is a critical for safe brake operation.

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
83 CJ BRAKE REAR CABLE ADJUSTED.jpg  
post #3 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 04:20 PM
fibersport

Without it, your brakes will not self adjust for wear. Unless you like adjusting brakes, it's much easier to get a replacement.

1984 CJ7 Renegade
4.2 with 4 speed
researching other details!

post #4 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 04:22 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Are you are talking about the “adjuster lever” on the right side, circled with yellow in the attached diagram. If so, that part is required. It is part of the self adjustment capability designed into the drum brake system that is commonly used on CJ’s and other automobile rear brakes.

If you are talking about the dust cover on the left side, it is not necessary on a street vehicle. I would recommend installing it on a Jeep that will see mud, dust, water, and whatever else it may be exposed to while off roading.
Attached Thumbnails
00E41EE0-B6E4-42BF-8775-96EBD6523FF8.jpg  

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #5 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Yes. I got them back together properly but kid at the shop stripped my security lug key! Unbelievable! Inserted the key incorrectly and hammered it in. WTF? I made the owner buy all new ones for the entire Jeep because they all used the same key! I had no way of removing my wheels in the future without. He wasn’t happy with his employee but kid admitted error by jamming it in wrong! Only problem is the replacements are black now, not chrome. He also damaged the center rim caps that were chrome when he was removing the rest of the lugs without the proper key. Geez! Such a simple task and lack of thinking created a nightmare. Not sure if I like the black but owner said just let him know and he will buy the chrome ones. They just weren’t readily in stock. Got a headache from all this, lol. Still shaking my head!
post #6 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 08:46 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Well 258,

They make/ I have some socket like tools various sizes on a tree.

They have internal splines that are arranged in a slight twist fashion.

The only work CCW and bite harder as you get on it.

They do leave bite marks on the locking lug or other nuts etc you use them on.

They don't "Install", just "remove" (I reckon they could if you were dealing with LH threads.)

In my 40 years of Jeeping, I always, after time, had my lug nuts start rusting.

I have used the ones that I thought were stainless (probably were) but after using my 4-way on them a few times, the darn outer sleeve's would slide of and get lost.

This left me with crappy looking lugs, and now the ones without the sleeves are smaller sized.

A good while back, I went to a 4x4 store 60 miles away (there are few around here)

This store is in bob4703's neck of the woods, this was before he had the pleasure of meeting me!

I like the store, he has a large variety of everything, the store is not really big.

When I go, I usually have an item in mind to acquire, but I do like browsing around and talking to the owner.

This particular trip, at the register was a display of black lug nuts! One of those compulsive buying tricks!

He claimed they would not rust, I had to buy them in sets of 4 (I needed 20 for the wheels and 3 for my spare.)

Once I got 'em on they really stand out against the aluminum rims. It's been 5 or more years and they do not rust, nor do they have pressed on inserts).

I LOVE 'EM!

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
compwtsdf 005 (2).jpg   black lugs.jpg   black lugs 333.jpg  
Attached Images

post #7 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

JEEPFELLER, they are growing on me! The owner gave me the option to try them out over the weekend and see if I like them in black. If not he’d order the chrome. You and I have the same wheels and the do stand out. You can see where they damaged (bent) the center caps. All 4 got a little damage!
Attached Thumbnails
A2092AE9-8BAC-4912-963C-5F42960DE191_1631936022489.jpg   2275733B-1D7F-46A2-A483-7FD86BDA2975_1631936041850.jpg  
post #8 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
JEEPFELLER, they are growing on me! The owner gave me the option to try them out over the weekend and see if I like them in black. If not he’d order the chrome. You and I have the same wheels and the do stand out. You can see where they damaged (bent) the center caps. All 4 got a little damage!
I can't tell.... are they just black lugnuts, or are they the splined type that take a special thin socket? If the splined, I'd not recommend them.

The center caps should be easy enough to source/replace for any good tire shop. The sometimes get stuck in the centerbore due to corrosion, and some guys aren't gentle trying to unseat them. Sometimes they HAVE to be beat out. Just depends.
post #9 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

They are the splined type that take a special thin socket. That’s what I’m debating on. The previous had gerth to them! Filled the entire lug hole.
post #10 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 10:25 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
They are the splined type that take a special thin socket. That’s what I’m debating on. The previous had gerth to them! Filled the entire lug hole.
The nuts themselves work just fine, the fault is in the socket. They work for wheels that NEED them, as small diameter/close tolerance lug bores are a thing on some wheels. If you don't need that feature though, it's a weakness. The thin sockets are not very strong. Crack/break easily if you side load them (which is easier due to the added length of some sockets), and if you break the socket at an inopportune time/place..... you're stuck. I've ran them a time or two myself, but I always kept spare sockets in the truck. (that's assuming they are what I think. Every nut has the same splines? Longer (3in or so?) thing spline key? Not the beefier Gorilla brand wheel lock?)

I generally just run regular chrome lugnuts. (NEVER the ones with thin little covers, like some OEM lugnuts) They need replacing after so many years, just because they aren't "pretty" after a time, but that doesn't exactly break the bank. Wheel locks in general are mostly a gimick, for the reasons JEEPFELLER explained. They work about as well as a deadbolt does, keeping a thief out of your house.
post #11 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

What is a good brand? Owner said I can buy the correct ones and give him the receipt if I ended up not liking these. Damn, it would suck if the socket broke. Today was a nightmare getting all of them off. Never had this issue before. Kills me the incompetence of some individuals. And I forgot to mention the spare utilizes the same key.
post #12 of 32 Old 09-17-2021, 10:41 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
What is a good brand? Owner said I can buy the correct ones and give him the receipt if I ended up not liking these. Damn, it would suck if the socket broke. Today was a nightmare getting all of them off. Never had this issue before. Kills me the incompetence of some individuals. And I forgot to mention the spare utilizes the same key.
I worked for Discount for a number of years. Couldn't tell you the brand, but we had huge bins we kept stocked with each size. Regular ol' chrome lugnuts. Nothing terribly special about them. The finish does get torn up over time, but then I'd just replace them... IF I cared. Can't say I ever put much thought into my lugnuts, other than avoiding special tools/sockets whenever possible, and absolutely never running the ones with the thing beauty caps pressed over them. (Chrysler was BAD for those)

Really there's nothing WRONG with those splined lugs, I'm just not a fan, for the reasons I stated. We stocked those at Discount too, with boxes of the "keys"/sockets, as they all used the same splined socket for a given size range. When I had to put them a rig I could tell might see backwoods use, I usually gave the owner a spare socket.... just in case.

On edit.... thats all assuming your wheels have a normal Acorn seat? It just dawned on me that style of wheel did sometimes use a "mag shank" lugnut. Those can be harder to source
post #13 of 32 Old 09-18-2021, 08:57 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Wasn't there a question on brakes?
Did I miss the answer?
CSP and kmiller7351 like this.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #14 of 32 Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Wasn't there a question on brakes?
Did I miss the answer?
Don't need brakes when you can't keep the wheels on the Jeep. At least we aren't discussing brake shoe colors.

I'll add a personal thought on brakes. They don't work if you don't put them back together with all the parts and in the correct places. I have a hard enough time keeping them working when they are properly assembled.

Y'all drive safely!
JEEPFELLER likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #15 of 32 Old 09-18-2021, 06:58 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Well,

I didn't wash/ clean/ shine up/ perttify my wheels for this pic (which would seriously take about one and a half minutes per wheel)

C'mon, don't this look so much better than the iron oxide colored ones?

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
Blast wheel cleaner (2).jpg   Black lug nuts (2).jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in