Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

RE 4.5 Inch Extreme-Duty Leaf Spring Lift Kit Question

830 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Cutlass327 
#1 ·
I just scored a great deal on this lift kit and I can't wait to install it in my 1984 CJ-7. I have a few questions for those with experience with this lift please:

Has anyone installed this lift in a Jeep with auto trans? I have the factory TF999. Does that change the drive-shaft length requirements? Will I be able to use the stock shafts or need custom?

The Jeep is currently on 31x10.5's. I am not ready yet (financially) to get the larger tires and gears I want. In the meantime, will it look silly with 31's and this lift? Anybody have pics of similar rigs?

thanks!

#2 ·
Yes you will need to get a custom length rear drive shaft with a double cardan joint for the transmission end. You most likely will need a longer front driveshaft. Yes your 31s are going to look tiny and lost.

#3 ·
I have that lift on my CJ-8. It will lift it higher than you think and it will look a bit goofy until you get bigger tires. I have 33s on mine and I think it looks good. It's a good kit, but it will be a bit stiff - at least mine is.

#8 ·
Here are 31s on a 2.5" lift to give reference of half the lift you plan with 31s.

33s look better, the 31s looked small, but honestly, put it together and run it until you get the tires. No use jumping into new tires while there are still life on those.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.