Rare Options - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cpadget
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
JeepGuy41

Cj Rare Options

As I am trying to learn more I was wondering how rare my jeep CJ7 is. Hopefully some of you can help. Here is some information. It is a 1984 Jeep CJ7 4.2 Liter inline six with the 5 speed manual and a DANA 44 rear end. It has factory A/C, power steering, and it came with Garnet Red Seats. The exterior color is Seabring Red. It has the original inner tub sticker with the build date of September 1983. Thanks in advance for any input given.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 04:21 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
FYI you should be able to request a copy of your Jeeps build sheet.
there's a sticky in the builds section with info and a link to get it.

Worked for my 93 YJ

Whats over that next ridge?
post #3 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 05:51 PM
cpadget

1983 CJ7 

Not likely to find any build sheet on any website. Your VIN tag on the firewall, under the hood, driver's side, is where you will find the information on your Jeep. The only thing you won't find is the trim, such as Renegade, Limited, etc.
JoonHoss likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-16-2020, 08:05 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Your D44 was swapped in at some point, the last year of CJ production the D44 was used as replacement for the AMC 20 (which yours had) as supplies ran out. The code above the vin is the paint and interior type. Post it up and we can help decipher it.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 07:11 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

At first,, i thought you were asking about rare options, and I was was going to say if your fuel and temo gauges actually work, thats about as rare as it gets !!!

Post the pic of the fire wall tag as cpadget mentioned. The 44 is swapped for sure, and if that's the case, who knows what else was.

My '83 CJ7 was Sebring red as well, factory 4.2 I6, 5 speed and AC.

It used to be that IF a company offered it for sale, you could order it on a vehicle, or get it installed by the dealership. Not unusual for someone to pop up here with a vehicle that had something "ordered from the factory" but in actuality was sold and added by a dealer before delivery

Are your seats the only GARNET in your interior?

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #6 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
JeepGuy41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
At first,, i thought you were asking about rare options, and I was was going to say if your fuel and temo gauges actually work, thats about as rare as it gets !!!

Post the pic of the fire wall tag as cpadget mentioned. The 44 is swapped for sure, and if that's the case, who knows what else was.

My '83 CJ7 was Sebring red as well, factory 4.2 I6, 5 speed and AC.

It used to be that IF a company offered it for sale, you could order it on a vehicle, or get it installed by the dealership. Not unusual for someone to pop up here with a vehicle that had something "ordered from the factory" but in actuality was sold and added by a dealer before delivery

Are your seats the only GARNET in your interior?

Hoss

My Seats have actually been switched out. The only Garnet left in the interior is the garnet visors. Everything else is gone or has been switched. And i think I understand what you are saying and i did know that the A/C was a dealer installed option or could have been put in at a later date, but it does resemble the A/C that would be installed on it when new. Correct me if I am wrong. My whole goal is to learn. I have learned a lot so far but i can still learn more.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
JeepGuy41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverandSand View Post
Your D44 was swapped in at some point, the last year of CJ production the D44 was used as replacement for the AMC 20 (which yours had) as supplies ran out. The code above the vin is the paint and interior type. Post it up and we can help decipher it.
The Vin code reads as follows.

J121510 87
06 3B 4EB
post #8 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 08:29 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

No problem with asking questions and learning, we were all there at some point.

A big difference, at least Jeep world wise, from other vehicles is that rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable or desirable.

There are absolutely rare models, editions, and features, and often, because Jeeps were built to be utilitarian and used, finding an example , in any kind of decent shape, can be difficult.

Also with jeeps, there is no rare VIN code or build numbers that make something amazing per se, about the only codes that really mean much of anything is the interior codes...From 1980-1986, If the tag has a "J" code it was optioned with Italian purse Cara vinyl seats w/vertical stripes, Chances are it was a Laredo. Also in 1980 you could have blue Denim seats with Italian Purse Vertical Stripes on a Renegade. Or tan Denim Vinyl with Italian Purse Vertical Stripes on a Golden Hawk. Also in 1982 if you have a "N" code it was a Jamboree edition with beige Cara Vinyl seats with Italian Purse Vertical Stripes.

And the only problem with that was, you could order any/all of those options from those packages from the dealer , either when built or as a dealer installed add-on.

You are correct that your interior code is garnet, while not the most common with the sebring red paint, it certainly was an option.

Sadly, your chances of finding all the missing garnet pieces in good usable condition without paying a premium will be next to impossible.

If you are wanting to do a full 100 point resto, then good for you, and best of luck.

If you are wanting to return it to stock form because you think it will have more value, you'll probably find that to be a losing investment.

This was my '83. When I got it, it had non working factory AC, one factory black high back bucket seat (passenger), and one stock factory white spoke pinstriped wheel (spare). At that time, I sold the bucket seat and spare wheel, and bought a new matching aftermarket front seat and set of 5 solid aluminum wheels AND spare tire (used, off CL) for about what I could have bought just a stock front seat for (if I could have found one). Yeah, it wasn't stock, but then it wasn't when I bought it either. Sadly, I pulled and tossed the interior AC parts before I knew they had any value (the under hood parts were already gone)

Not trying to lecture or persuade, just pointing out some of the subtle nuances of the jeep CJ world

Hoss
JEEPFELLER likes this.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
JeepGuy41

My Jeep actually sounds very similar to yours. Front seats and back seats were swaped, non working A/C, and a original spare tire with aftermarket wheels everywhere else. Thank you again for your input it is sincerely appreciated.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-17-2020, 03:09 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuy41 View Post
The Vin code reads as follows.

J121510 87
06 3B 4EB
3B-Sebring Red

4-Garnet
E-High Back Bucket
B-Vinyl/Denim

I remember in the early eighties Jeep dealers here in southwest had a Baja edition CJ, but it wasn't a national edition but a regional thing. There were a few other editions like that too.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-18-2020, 08:30 PM
juniors1

My 1985 came from AZ and has some weird decals I've never seen before. Thought they may just be aftermarket. Was wondering if these decals were part of a local only package too.
Attached Thumbnails
20201018_174503_1603074522680.jpg   20201018_174527_1603074541994.jpg   20201017_145217_1603074568393.jpg  
post #12 of 13 Old Today, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
JeepGuy41

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniors1 View Post
My 1985 came from AZ and has some weird decals I've never seen before. Thought they may just be aftermarket. Was wondering if these decals were part of a local only package too.

Mine also came with decals I have never seen before. They are red, grey, and an orange yellow. It goes around the hood bulge, down the side, and on the hood almost looking like wings. I don't know if this is a special set of decals or if they are aftermarket but if anybody knows that would be awesome. I can add photos if needed.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 08:32 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Most likely just pinstripes/ decals added on at some point... definitely not part of a manufacturer package

Hoss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in