Question About Differences Between 1974 CJ5 and Newer CJ5s - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 51 Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Bear1974CJ

The 304 came with a T-15A 3 speed transmission, Dana 30 front axle, Dana 44 rear axle, & Model 20 transfer case. It has an 84 inch wheel. Standard axle ratio was 3.73, optional was 4.27. Stock tires were F78 x 15. It had a 10.5 clutch size. The 4 speed was optional for the 6 cylinders. I purchase mine brand new in 1974 & still have it. Due to short wheel base, I added a steering stabilizer to help with wandering at highway speeds. I also changed the oil pump cover to a newer version, as the angle of the oil filter on the original would hit differential if you bottomed out hard, 1975 updated the design & the angle is where it doesn't hit. I have modified my CJ a lot over the years. I put a fiberglass front end on, a Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed, 4.56 gears with a trac-loc rear axle, 2" re-arched springs, extended spring shackles, stabilizing bar between front spring shackles, re-built engine with oversize valves, roller rockers, 40 overbore, Competition Cams & spring kit, DUI ignition, street-strip clutch & Lakewood bellhousing. I put stainless steel disc brakes on the front end. Full roll cage & high back bucket seats. I used it a lot in competition sand dragging & hill climbing the first 10 years & now mainly trail running. Last year had a Painless Wiring harness installed & went through engine & transmission. I have enjoyed my CJ & it will be passed onto my son who helped do the rebuild the last couple of years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Wizzal05

1976 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZCAT View Post
Mine was black with tan interior and gold Renegade stripes and no tailgate. My cousin bought it in 1976 with 7,000 miles on it. I was 7 at the time and learned how to drive in it. I would stand on the clutch and start it, put it in first and then let the clutch push me back into the seat and off I went. Then when I turned 16 my cousin was off in the Air Force and so it was mine throughout high school. I sold it years ago to a Doctor that had one like it in college. He restored it but didn't put the stripes back on which I would have done.
Mine is orange
Attached Thumbnails
1976_jeep_cj-5-pic-2773619329199194840-1600x1200.jpg  
HAZCAT likes this.

Chris white
post #48 of 51 Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 PM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
I have my eye on a 1974 CJ5, sort of a barn find. Looks to have a stock 304 in it, in fact other than the seats and a few minor mods, it looks to be pretty original.

I have spent a fair amount of time learning about the later model CJs, about 1980 and newer. But I know very little about the older models. I do know there was a body/frame change around 1972, and I’ve noticed a few differences on the dash panel and the clutch linkage. Looks like it should be a T18 trans. Would axles be Dana 30 front and AMC 20 rear?

Can someone give me a quick primer on the major differences, or maybe point me to a thread? I’m just trying to anticipate how much of a learning curve there will be if I get this Jeep.
So did you get it? Kinda curious of its condition being a barn find.
Shawn

Shawn

post #49 of 51 Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
My 74 has a tailgate. I often wonder if the convenience is worth all the rattling noise from the chains and the gate itself.

The tub is the early CJ5 style that was upgraded in the late 1960s to remove the gas tank from under the driver's seat and moved to the rear frame area. It is more like a 1950's truck and less like a car--a plus for me. I used parts for a 1971 model to rebuild the steering column. It has the longer wheel base of later CJ5s to accommodate the AMC engines. As stated above the wiring sucks.

The engine came with points type distributor which isn't a problem for me as I grew up changing and adjusting points. It has fewer parts to fail. Upgrading isn't hard. I just chose not to do it.

It has 11" drum brakes on all four. You can upgrade to discs. Mine weighs less than 2700 lbs. and I once had a 75 GTO that weighed almost a thousand pounds more and had 9" drums--went a lot faster than a CJ5 too. On dry roads it stops from reasonable speeds. 65 MPH is my maximum speed.

The cool factor is neat too. We belong to a Jeep club whose members drive all types of Jeeps. We have a monthly cruise in during the warmer months. Our 74 is usually the oldest Jeep in attendance, unless my friend Charles brings his 74 which is 2 months older. We park side by side.
Pontiac made GTO’s for 11 years, 1964 thru 1974, so I doubt you had a 1975 GTO.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #50 of 51 Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Pontiac made GTO’s for 11 years, 1964 thru 1974, so I doubt you had a 1975 GTO.
You are correct. It was a 65--actually was the boss' car when we got married.

I must have hit the wrong key and closed my proof reading eye at the same time. I've made worse mistakes since I made this one.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #51 of 51 Old 04-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
That’s what I figured, some sort of typo. Just wanted to make the correction, being a Pontiac guy, it jumped out at me.
bob4703 likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

Tags
1974 , cj5 , levi’s , renegade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in