JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Question About Differences Between 1974 CJ5 and Newer CJ5s (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/question-about-differences-between-1974-cj5-newer-cj5s-4349377/)

John Strenk 03-26-2019 11:40 AM

Sometimes I would like to add a fuel tank under the driver seat just like my 64 jeep had.
Just cut out that opening and put in a tank.

Then I think about what would happen with a side impact,,,

trailhead2004 03-26-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj5chic (Post 40565197)
My 1980 CJ5 doesn't have a tailgate. I don't know if I should be jealous or not🤔

I'm trying to figure out if one of the PO's welded mine up. There is a bent piece of cross-broke sheet metal where the tailgate should be and it doesn't look like it was factory.

jeepdaddy2000 03-26-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob4703 (Post 40565085)
My 74 has a tailgate. I often wonder if the convenience is worth all the rattling noise from the chains and the gate itself.

My 71 Ren II came without a tailgate. I became so disgusted with having to loft stuff over the rear of the Jeep that I wound up swapping the tub for an older one off a 68. In retrospect, had I known the worth of the original body, I would have left well enough alone....:frown2:

bob4703 03-27-2019 07:57 AM

Despite what I said about the noise of the rattling tailgate chains I like and use mine. I have a spare tire mounted to it so I have to remove the spare to drop the tailgate. Did you know that with the tailgate dropped and no back seat you can fit a washing machine in the box in the bed?

Does anyone know where I can get the hose like covering for the chains? Tailgate chains are another throwback to the 1950s' truck look.

The prototype of the original CJ5 was the M138A used by the military from the early 50s through the early 70s. It did not have a tailgate or at least all that I remember didn't.

Yesterday my son had his inspection on the house he is buying. The plumber who did the work was there and as he was leaving asked about my Jeep. He told me had a 72 Renegade and was thinking about selling it. He took me to look at it. Nice Jeep with a 304, original paint, and very little rust. And it doesn't have a tailgate!

trailhead2004 03-27-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob4703 (Post 40566429)
Despite what I said about the noise of the rattling tailgate chains I like and use mine. I have a spare tire mounted to it so I have to remove the spare to drop the tailgate. Did you know that with the tailgate dropped and no back seat you can fit a washing machine in the box in the bed?

Does anyone know where I can get the hose like covering for the chains? Tailgate chains are another throwback to the 1950s' truck look.

The prototype of the original CJ5 was the M138A used by the military from the early 50s through the early 70s. It did not have a tailgate or at least all that I remember didn't.

Yesterday my son had his inspection on the house he is buying. The plumber who did the work was there and as he was leaving asked about my Jeep. He told me had a 72 Renegade and was thinking about selling it. He took me to look at it. Nice Jeep with a 304, original paint, and very little rust. And it doesn't have a tailgate!

My M101-A1 trailer has a sort of canvas cover over the tailgate chains. A shop that makes awnings or outdoor/boat upholstery should be able to make something for you. Think of a sewn canvas tube. I don't have any pics right now, but if you have any questions let me know and I can get some pics tonight.

The thing I like about having an upholstery shop do it is they could probably find you a good complementary color, or at least you could go black. Because black goes with everything.

CSP 03-27-2019 01:04 PM

I would think that any of the places that sell parts for old Fords and Chevys that also used chains on the tailgate would be a good place to look for chain covers.

trailhead2004 03-27-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSP (Post 40566957)
I would think that any of the places that sell parts for old Fords and Chevys that also used chains on the tailgate would be a good place to look for chain covers.

Assuming they're the same length.

JoonHoss 03-27-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob4703 (Post 40566429)
Despite what I said about the noise of the rattling tailgate chains I like and use mine...

Does anyone know where I can get the hose like covering for the chains? ...

Here you go

http://bfy.tw/MxLV

:wave:

Hoss

trailhead2004 03-27-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoonHoss (Post 40567343)
Here you go

http://bfy.tw/MxLV

:wave:

Hoss

Not sure what that link was, Hoss, but it went somewhere funky.

trailhead

JoonHoss 03-27-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhead2004 (Post 40567385)
Not sure what that link was, Hoss, but it went somewhere funky.

trailhead

Its correct, just a 'funner' way of posting a link. ;)

I have restored a few stepside '55-'59 Chev/GMC trucks, the tailgate chain covers are easy to find, that link will take you to many of the options available.

That said, I find for everything other than a show truck, I like a section or two of heater hose to cover the chain. If using one, drill a hole in the bottom, but better to use two short sections. Easy, cheap, and cut to fit. Usually pretty quiet as well.

Alternately, you can score a cheap set of lap belts in the junk yard, and install one end on each of the tailgate and fenderwell. Use the button to release, cinch down to quite them.

HTH

Hoss

texasdave 03-27-2019 08:08 PM

My 73 has a tailgate, 304 T-15 xmsn Dana 20 transfer case Dana 44 rear Dana 30 front

trailhead2004 03-27-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasdave (Post 40567469)
My 73 has a tailgate, 304 T-15 xmsn Dana 20 transfer case Dana 44 rear Dana 30 front

Which leads to a confirmation question.

I have read that a Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear are standard with a Dana 20 transfer case for this year. To the best of your knowledge is this statement true?

bob4703 03-28-2019 06:47 AM

Thanks to all! What's this Google y'all keep mentioning? JoonHoss Thanks for the demo. I've always had appreciation of your sense of humor. I still have a Tshirt that says "I only had one in dog beers!"

A canvas cover would quieten the rattle, but wouldn't have the eye appeal of the original black rubber covers. I also wonder if the canvas would be as flexible as the rubber.When I asked the question I just figured one of y'all would know someone who has a roll and has been selling by the foot since 1947.

You would think that that the guy who likes the intermediate Jeep because the cockpit retains the 1950s truck look would think about looking places that sells parts for 1950s trucks. Well I did and found model specific chains with covers. I did find covers for Jeeps, but were red and gray. When I unearth the original chains I may just use commercial heat shrink tubing.

Again thanks for the suggestions and happy opening day!

schardein 03-28-2019 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I seem to recall reading that HMMWV tailgate chains were a good replacement and come with a rubber cover. I don't know what they cost or how available they are. Perhaps an option if your chains are missing or in bad shape.

JoonHoss 03-28-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhead2004 (Post 40567493)
Which leads to a confirmation question.

I have read that a Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear are standard with a Dana 20 transfer case for this year. To the best of your knowledge is this statement true?

My '73 had a 304, T15, Dana20 t-case, and Dana30/44 combo (with factory 1-piece rear axles), and though resto-modded, was all original drivetrain as far as I could tell.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/memb...sc-pic-230.jpg

Also, it had a tailgate.

Hoss

The time now is 02:33 PM.