Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Quality Replacement Fuel and Temp Gauges

18K views 85 replies 18 participants last post by  scottyDive 
#1 ·
My temp gauge is non-op, went through troubleshooting per John Strenk's guides (thanks for that) and have narrowed it down to a bad temp gauge.

I know I need to replace fuel and temp as a pair but I'm having trouble sourcing quality gauges.

Replacement options seem to be:
Crown - Many terrible reviews and complaints on the interwebz.

Omix Ada - Even more terrible reviews about calibration issues, dead gauges and failures after a short time.

Used OEM ebay - Potential for dead gauges. Most auctions say "worked when removed" or "temp and fuel not tested" Seems like a crap shoot to me.

MOPAR/NOS - Unicorns? Can't find these anywhere, and from posts I've seen they are several hundred dollars each if you can find one? Worth it over the hassle of Crown or Omix?

Fancy electronic digital or GPS driven cluster - not interested in non-OEM look so digital gauges are out, Speedhut makes a GPS driven OEM looking cluster. Kinda cool but spendy.

I was about to roll the dice and order a set of Omix-Ada gauges and test/calibrate them per John's guide before I put them in the cluster.

They seem to have the most complaints but they also seem to be the most popular gauge replacement sold so that makes sense. Happy people don't come to the internet to complain. I also wonder if it is people who don't know how to calibrate the gauges, people who burn them up by carelessly or incorrectly connecting them or having poor grounds to the gauges.

Anyway, I figured I'd ask here if there was an option I'm missing or misunderstanding before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#79 ·
#83 ·
I used a punch and hammer and I reversed the opening process of slowly going around and around tapping it closed while it was sitting on a towel. I got to "good enough" and wish I had kept at it another 10 minutes to make it smoother but it is what it is now. Might take it off and fix it one day but not that motivated to do it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.