Quality Replacement Fuel and Temp Gauges - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quality Replacement Fuel and Temp Gauges

My temp gauge is non-op, went through troubleshooting per John Strenk's guides (thanks for that) and have narrowed it down to a bad temp gauge.

I know I need to replace fuel and temp as a pair but I'm having trouble sourcing quality gauges.

Replacement options seem to be:
Crown - Many terrible reviews and complaints on the interwebz.

Omix Ada - Even more terrible reviews about calibration issues, dead gauges and failures after a short time.

Used OEM ebay - Potential for dead gauges. Most auctions say "worked when removed" or "temp and fuel not tested" Seems like a crap shoot to me.

MOPAR/NOS - Unicorns? Can't find these anywhere, and from posts I've seen they are several hundred dollars each if you can find one? Worth it over the hassle of Crown or Omix?

Fancy electronic digital or GPS driven cluster - not interested in non-OEM look so digital gauges are out, Speedhut makes a GPS driven OEM looking cluster. Kinda cool but spendy.

I was about to roll the dice and order a set of Omix-Ada gauges and test/calibrate them per John's guide before I put them in the cluster.

They seem to have the most complaints but they also seem to be the most popular gauge replacement sold so that makes sense. Happy people don't come to the internet to complain. I also wonder if it is people who don't know how to calibrate the gauges, people who burn them up by carelessly or incorrectly connecting them or having poor grounds to the gauges.

Anyway, I figured I'd ask here if there was an option I'm missing or misunderstanding before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I think you have a pretty good handle on it.

Auto Meter gets decent reviews, and makes gauges with the Jeep logo, but they have a bit different look than OEM.

http://www.autometer.com/gauges/jeep.html

Edit: Sorry, I just realized you were looking for Temp and Fuel for the speedo cluster. The Auto Meter gauges don't apply.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Looking forward to this thread. OEM fuel gauge works, OEM temp does not.

post #4 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Thanks, Matt. Yeah, really wanting to stay original looking. I pondered a pod or under dash cluster but it just didn't look right in my head. I'll update with results when I have some Jeepdaddy.

Omix Ada ordered to arrive Sunday.
post #5 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 01:07 PM
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

So, there is another option but it would be more work than just about anything else. It would be possible (even realitivly simple for someone who knew what they were doing) to set up an arduino to detect the analog sensors of our fuel and temp senders. Then you could gut your old gauges use some small stepper motors to turn the needles. You could probably put the entire thing together for 50 bucks. The obvious downside is that you would have to take the time to find the pieces, learn how to use and program it, and put it together. Though, if you have a local college near you you could probably find some engineering student who would do it for cheap. The other downside is that you are adding something else could fail.

Though, if you did figure out how to do it, there may be a market for it. Might be able to make a little coin on the side.

something along these lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93o_GnJcHTY
post #6 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Hey, I found stewart warner factory replacement fuel and temperature gauge on ebay new. So far no problems. Stewart warner is reputable

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #7 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdatkins View Post
So, there is another option but it would be more work than just about anything else. It would be possible (even realitivly simple for someone who knew what they were doing) to set up an arduino to detect the analog sensors of our fuel and temp senders. Then you could gut your old gauges use some small stepper motors to turn the needles. You could probably put the entire thing together for 50 bucks. The obvious downside is that you would have to take the time to find the pieces, learn how to use and program it, and put it together. Though, if you have a local college near you you could probably find some engineering student who would do it for cheap. The other downside is that you are adding something else could fail.

Though, if you did figure out how to do it, there may be a market for it. Might be able to make a little coin on the side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93o_GnJcHTY

Interesting idea. Electronics is another of my dabblings. Maybe I'll mess with the idea, the plans for making such a thing are already out there all over the internet.

Like here: http://blog.hobbycomponents.com/?p=460

Wouldn't take much at all to turn that in to a gauge driver since the temp sender is a thermistor and the fuel sender is a potentiometer.
post #8 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 05:14 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdatkins View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93o_GnJcHTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by escrouse View Post
Interesting idea. Electronics is another of my dabblings. Maybe I'll mess with the idea, the plans for making such a thing are already out there all over the internet.

Like here: http://blog.hobbycomponents.com/?p=460

Wouldn't take much at all to turn that in to a gauge driver since the temp sender is a thermistor and the fuel sender is a potentiometer.
Also the resitance rang of both the fuel and temp are the same so once you get one working, Making the other work would be simple.

It would be pretty simple to dig a dash out of a newer vehicle and use one of those for the movement.

Use one if these LilyPad Arduino and you could put it right inside the gauge housing.

I picked up an It would be pretty simple to dig a dash out of a newer vehicle and use one of those for the movement.

Use one if these LilyPad Arduino and you could put it right inside the gauge housing.

I got a Basic Arduino that I was going to use for a camera Pan controller. Maybe I can convert it to a meter movement.

So, are we going to start posting Arduino sketches on this board now? What Fun !!

http://guy.carpenter.id.au/gaugette/about/

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #9 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Chevy is infamous for their stepper motors failing, you can buy a 6 pack of replacement motors for about $16 on Amazon or FleaBay.

Cool link, John!
post #10 of 86 Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 PM
hutch1200
Recovering Bronco Rider

1979 CJ7 

I like the Speedhut gauges. I agree that the price is steep. Plus the fact that the speedo only goes to 90MPH. I wouldn't want to drive around in 3rd and not have an accurate reading in 4th, when the needle is down in the gas gauge area..

I've also learned that sometimes... when people don't agree with you .... its best to hold them down and kidney punch them till they agree with you
post #11 of 86 Old 01-23-2016, 04:28 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
I like the Speedhut gauges. I agree that the price is steep. Plus the fact that the speedo only goes to 90MPH. I wouldn't want to drive around in 3rd and not have an accurate reading in 4th, when the needle is down in the gas gauge area..

Yeah, that would be dangerous. Could you imagine if you had a 5 speed? That would be insane....

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #12 of 86 Old 01-23-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
That would really only be an issue on Saturday nights when I'm runnin' the oval at Battleground Speedway. I rarely take it out of second or go over 55mph when I'm crawling the Houston Rockies. We all use our jeeps differently
Raideval42 likes this.
post #13 of 86 Old 01-23-2016, 07:45 AM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I had the same issues as the O.P. several years ago, but I bought Crown and they were inoperable out of the box. I returned them and got another set of Crown gauges and, using John's setup information they've been working well for the past 8 or 10 years. I did however add mechanical temp and oil gauges to the dash on my '78.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #14 of 86 Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 AM
DesertCJ5
1976 CJ5 

post #15 of 86 Old 01-23-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
escrouse
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCJ5 View Post
These two pairs of Omix-Ada were reading inaccurate out of the box brand-new. I haven't attempted to calibrate them. $18 mailed if you or anyone else wants them to mess around with.

Lol, I just came across your ebay auction this morning. Damn timing...

If no one else scoops them up and I get DOA's tomorrow I might hit you up. How bad off were they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in