Quadra Trac Question; no shift lever to put it into hi or low - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
trw

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler11 View Post
So you want to switch the knob when you are offroad and off road only?
correct, otherwise you may damage the Tcase or something else if you try to use E-drive on dry pavement, just the same as you would a part time case.

Jeep garage:
2011 Jeep Wrangler JK - 33" BFG KM2s, 2.5" RC BB, ARB bumper, IPF 900XS, Superwinch EPI 9.0, AEV Snorkel
1995 Jeep Wrangler - 4 cyl, 2.5" lift, BFG AT 30s, Ford 8.8, SYE+CV, AX15 swap, ARB snorkel, Aussie locker + loads more - sold
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Dudman5703

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredisb View Post
Make sure you have the low range housing before you go shopping. My jeep didn't have the lever through the side of the trans hump. Upon further inspection the hole was drilled but the lever was just zip tied to the trans under the body and I had a low range housing already on it. Unless you spend a lot of time crawling off road you probably don't need 4 lo. If you decide you need 4 lo try searching craigslist locally for a whole quadratrac unit that you can remove low range from and add it to yours.
alright thanks, i'll have to do that. Its not that I offroad alot, I just like be like. Yeah, my jeep can do that! Then give all those ppl who own XJ's a run for there money... which I haven't had a problem doing that yet, but if i get beat by one i wont be able to live it down.

°llllll° Money well wasted
post #18 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Dudman5703

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
correct, otherwise you may damage the Tcase or something else if you try to use E-drive on dry pavement, just the same as you would a part time case.
I didn't know that... even when using locking hubs? like having them in 2x4?

post #19 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudman5703 View Post
I didn't know that... even when using locking hubs? like having them in 2x4?
Quadratrac Jeeps don't have locking hubs, unless they were installed along with a part-time transfer case kit. If you have put locking hubs on a Quadratrac Jeep that doesn't have a part time kit installed, and disengage them; then the Jeep doesn't move, the front axles just spin around.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Dudman5703

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
Quadratrac Jeeps don't have locking hubs, unless they were installed along with a part-time transfer case kit. If you have put locking hubs on a Quadratrac Jeep that doesn't have a part time kit installed, and disengage them; then the Jeep doesn't move, the front axles just spin around.
Yeah I have the kit, its all installed. I remember because I didnt initially know it was AWD and i switched the hubs to 2x4 and it wouldn't move! xD
But yeah, with that installed it it bad to switch it over for a 2x4 operation?

post #21 of 22 Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudman5703 View Post
Yeah I have the kit, its all installed. I remember because I didnt initially know it was AWD and i switched the hubs to 2x4 and it wouldn't move! xD
But yeah, with that installed it it bad to switch it over for a 2x4 operation?
I'm confused, are you saying that you initially put a set of locking hubs on, realized they were totally worthless, then got a part-time kit for you Quadratrac t-case? Or you installed hubs and didn't install a part-time kit, and your Jeep now won't move with the hubs disengaged?

If you in fact installed the part-time kit, you need to run in 2wd mode on the street, as you front and rear driveshafts are locked together. The binding from driving this on the street will lead to parts breakage.

If you didn't, you need to leave your hubs locked in all the time, better yet sell them and get some drive plates.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM
PapaMarkC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD View Post
I have a lever in my 76 I could take out for you. I have a dana 20 in mine now.
Just came across this thread. It's been many years, so apologies, but if you still have the origional low gear transfer case shift mechanism, I need one. I have a 1976 CJ7 with quadratrac which has the gear reduction unit, but the shift mechanism is missing. It can be engaged with a crescent wrench, but if I can get it working from the cab that'd be awesome. I plan to need it as I will be rock crawling.

Tags
high range , low range , quadratrac , quadratrac switch , shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in