Push button start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
drummer31779
1978 CJ5 

Push button start

What's up? I'm thinking of putting in a push button start button and was wondering if anyone else has done this. I totally rewired the jeep in 2009 so all the wiring is new.

I'm assuming a power wire and ignition wire run to the button.....then I would need a toggle switch for the accessories???

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well you would need two switches, a Toggle for the ignition and a button for the starter. The ignition toggle can double as an accessory switch or you can use a separate one. Ant all the circuits should be fused so ou don't burn anything up.

Do you just want to run the wires from the old switch. That would probably be the easiest.

You would need a D.P.S.T. momentary push button and a T.P.D.T. (Tripple pole, Double Throw) toggle switch to begin with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Another option is to leave the ignition switch as and wire a momentary push button switch straight from power to the S terminal of the solenoid. This would keep the key system in place for at least a little security and still have the push button starter. You can either splice into the existing switch on the column or run a separate system parallel to the stock one. Just remember that push button starters can be dangerous, especially if you allow your (or other) kids to play around the Jeep.

post #4 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 AM
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

only thing you need is power to switch then starter solinoid. keep the key. turn key on, push button. that way nobody can start without key
post #5 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my 78. The "ears" have been long gone on my column starter switch and when cold, it is physically hard to engage the starter with out the added leverage of the 'ears"

It is the light blue wire from the solenoid (John Strenk's photo labeled starter). I dont like splices, so I though about running a new light blue wire from the solenoid to a momentary switch on the dash. The other side of that switch would go to a positive hot wire. The only source for light blue wire is Summit racing or Painless, both expensive. If anyone knows another source, would like to know. I think size 14 gauge would be plenty.

I have the same concern as jeepdaddy ( but I am the only kid at my house) so I thought about one of those covers over the momentary switch that you have to flip up first.

I was going to leave the ignition with the key switch on the stirring column.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You can remove the blue wire with the terminal still attached from the ignition switch plug and get a push button switch with a spade connector and just plug it on.
No splicing that way.

Maybe get a floor starter switch.

Look at Digikey, or Allied Electronics for more switch options. Even McMaster Car sells tons of Momentary Panel Mount Push Button Switches.

Get on that says "Don't Panic" In big friendly letters.

post #7 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
drummer31779
1978 CJ5 

Hmmm....so cut the power wire and ignition wire and splice in the push button. Keep the key to turn to the on position, and use the button to start.
So the actual ignition switch would still be in place and would stop the jeep by turning the key off; so would still need to keep the metal slider attached for the key to turn the switch on and off.....seems simple enough.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
twoleos617

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Get on that says "Don't Panic" In big friendly letters.
LMAO!
that huge OfficeMax "That was Easy" button comes to mind!
post #9 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

post #10 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

use any color wire, no splicing is needed, it hooks to one of the screws on the starter solenoid. the other end goes to the battery. it comes in handy when you want to turn the motor over without starting it.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
jjdtaylor
1981 CJ5 

Don't forget your towel...

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Why? I never understood doing this.. Just like how the new cars are coming out from the factory with push buttons. Are we that lazy of a race anymore to twist a key cylinder?

You can get new key cylinders at Auto Zone, and replace the one with broken ears.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #13 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 AM
dvdflanders
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Another option is to leave the ignition switch as and wire a momentary push button switch straight from power to the S terminal of the solenoid. This would keep the key system in place for at least a little security and still have the push button starter. You can either splice into the existing switch on the column or run a separate system parallel to the stock one. Just remember that push button starters can be dangerous, especially if you allow your (or other) kids to play around the Jeep.
I did this, spliced into the existing ignition switch, so the key works like it used to, or I can use the push button if I choose. Still need the key to power the ignition and unlock the steering wheel.

For my momentary push button, I used my existing cigarette lighter as the switch. I had to pry the metal tabs a little inside the lighter so it wouldn't stick. I can no longer use my cig lighter for cigs, but a covert 007 push button is much cooler.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
For my momentary push button, I used my existing cigarette lighter as the switch. I had to pry the metal tabs a little inside the lighter so it wouldn't stick. I can no longer use my cig lighter for cigs, but a covert 007 push button is much cooler.
Take the lighter out and nobody would ever be able to fire it from inside!

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #15 of 23 Old 12-09-2010, 01:41 AM
mudpuppy_n_jeep
1980 CJ7 

mine still has key for acc and push button for starter only

80 cj7
boys 79 cj5
daughters 87 xj build
youngest girl 79 cj5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in