Proportioning Valve Relocation - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-14-2020, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
drwoodberry

Proportioning Valve Relocation

I was wondering if anyone has relocated their proportioning valve from the frame rail to a bracket suspended off the brake booster/master cylinder. My exhaust current runs uncomfortably close to the wilwood that was installed and I am not a huge fan of that. If anyone has done this, do they have some pictures of the brake line routing with the proportioning valve mounted up at the master cylinder? Did you have to bend custom lines?

I see a lot of kits offered for the CJ's that include master/booster/valve already assembled but I have not had luck on finding some of the details on routing the brake lines from this new location.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-14-2020, 09:57 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think YJ's do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 26 Old 03-16-2020, 06:01 PM
verreaul

1976 CJ7 

I bought one of those ebay power brake booster/master cylinder/proportioning valves last year.
The proportioning valve mounts under the master cylinder. I was able to bend the existing 2 front brake lines to reach the new valve location. I made a new rear brake line from the proportioning valve to the T on the rear axle. It was a straight forward and simple install.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4500.jpg   IMG_1274.jpg  

post #4 of 26 Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Rtracy2001
1985 CJ7 

I'm not really happy with how the bends turned out. The lines needed replacing anyway.
Attached Images

Every 20 minute job is just one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-17-2020, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
drwoodberry

Thank you for providing these for me. For the front lines...you just re-bent the original front ones? Good to know those will reach. I was thinking about trying to get some pre-formed NON-ABS YJ lines to see if they would work as well.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 PM
Rtracy2001
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwoodberry View Post
Thank you for providing these for me. For the front lines...you just re-bent the original front ones? Good to know those will reach. I was thinking about trying to get some pre-formed NON-ABS YJ lines to see if they would work as well.
I replaced the lines. The originals were quite brittle and a little short. If yours are anything close to original, they are best replaced. Nicopp is a good material, easy to bend, corrosion resistant, inexpensive, and DOT approved.

Every 20 minute job is just one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-18-2020, 06:08 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Blank brake lines can be had from any FLAPS.

You can customize the length with a double flaring tool. A cheap bending tool will work for your bends and coils.

You can mount your proportioning valve anywhere as long as the lines are routed into/out of the valve properly.

Have/can you install a heat shield? most times this a simple piece of tin mounted between the exhaust and whatever you are trying to shield. Might be easier than moving the valve.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #8 of 26 Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
drwoodberry

@jeepdaddy2000 - I may be able to get a heat shield in there, but it would be on the exhaust for sure and maybe do more damage than good by conducting heat. I am blaming the bozo who installed the new valve and not even mounting it...its just floating there. This is what I get from a guy who ends up stealing about $300 worth of parts from me and about $1200 in labor costs. I am not trying to resolve his mistakes....easier since I have a garage now.

What is "FLAPS"?
post #9 of 26 Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
drwoodberry

@Rtracy2001 - All my lines were new from a pre-bent kit that some bozo local to me butchered. Thanks again for the info.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-18-2020, 07:04 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
What is "FLAPS"?
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #11 of 26 Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 AM
PottsyCJ5

1975 CJ5 

Thats a much more convenient location for the proportion valve. I have a new one from Carolina customs sitting in my bench i have been trying to figure out a mounting solution for. The one on there now seems permanently attached to the mounting bracket via a small notch type seat (not sure how else to describe it). The new one has a mounting location on the bottom that comes from the side. Now Iím considering relocating up to the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 26 Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 AM
verreaul

1976 CJ7 

Sorry, I needed an extra post count to PM someone.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-19-2020, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
drwoodberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store
Ahh
post #14 of 26 Old 03-19-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
drwoodberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PottsyCJ5 View Post
Thats a much more convenient location for the proportion valve. I have a new one from Carolina customs sitting in my bench i have been trying to figure out a mounting solution for. The one on there now seems permanently attached to the mounting bracket via a small notch type seat (not sure how else to describe it). The new one has a mounting location on the bottom that comes from the side. Now Iím considering relocating up to the master cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will surely be moving mine after I get the new transmission in and redo the exhaust.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

It has been covered in several threads before. I moved mine about 6 years ago. The factory valve was about 1/32" away from the header on the motor swap in my Jeep. The valve had been cooked. I had to cut the valve off the frame with a saw because the exhaust was welded to the header collector and it was not removable.

I disconnected the rear brake line and used a small drill press vice to straighten the tubing. You have to go slow and do a little at a time but squeezing it with a little vice is one of the best ways to straighten tubing with a bend in it. You have to squeeze it a little and then rotate the vice and squeeze it a little more. It does a wonderful job. I then used a coupler and extended the line using copper nickel brake line. I moved that rear brake line to the top of the frame rail so it would be clear of the exhaust. I replaced the driver's front brake line with new copper nickel brake line because it was easy. I was able to make the passenger's front side work by reshaping it with the vice and a bender. I used stainless steel spiral armor and the new copper nickel brake line. In my case I have front and rear disk brakes and I installed an adjustable proportioning valve. Unless you are after a completely accurate restoration, mounting the valve at the master cylinder it is a much better choice. General Motors mounted many of their valves up near the master cylinder.

Since that time I have purchased a Titan Tools 51535 3/16 in. double flaring tool. This is a marvelous tool and I would have paid $100.00 to have it when I did the work on my Jeep. It works so well and it is so compact. It makes flaring lines that are installed in the vehicle so much easier.

If you have to install any new brake line, use copper nickel brake line. As far as I can tell, it is superior in every way. It bends and forms so much easier than steel and stainless, it is not suppose to rust like steel and it flares so much easier. Just so EVERYONE understands. Copper nickel brake line is NOT copper line. It is a special alloy that is approved for brake line use. Regular copper is much too soft and can fail at brake line pressures.
Cutlass327 likes this.

Tags
brake , brake booster , master cylinder , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in