Project HUMWEE - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 283 Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Project HUMWEE

Hey guys, are we alowed to post anything here about these little guys? Not exactly a Jeep, but made by AMC to replace Jeeps in Viet Nam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 283 Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM
FamillyCJ7

1983 CJ7 

Now that thing is just cool. PTO winch? Specs on it? (Motor, axles, trans, xfer case?)

'83 CJ7 258I6 4-Speed Father Daughter Project - Using Monstaliner/Chassis Saver and Products from CrabTreeTool
NorthEastFL4x4.com - Local 4x4 Enthusiasts website, join up now!
post #3 of 283 Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
TJLover99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Interested to see where you take this one

If it were easy, everyone would do it

post #4 of 283 Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
Now that thing is just cool. PTO winch? Specs on it? (Motor, axles, trans, xfer case?)
It is an M422 Mighty Mite. Air cooled V4, NP4300 4 speed tranny, single speed transfer case, D27 with 5.38s and Dana Powerlocks front and rear with inboard brakes and fully independent suspension all around. The winch is a home grown (I didn't do it) 24V aircraft starter motor on a kit drum available in the 50s and early 60s. This one is my son's, mine is in the shop gutted and ready for a build.

post #5 of 283 Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 PM
FamillyCJ7

1983 CJ7 

definitely unique! What are your plans for them? I bet it's not easy finding parts.

'83 CJ7 258I6 4-Speed Father Daughter Project - Using Monstaliner/Chassis Saver and Products from CrabTreeTool
post #6 of 283 Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quote:
definitely unique! What are your plans for them? I bet it's not easy finding parts.
We have been finding parts. Surplus City is only 20 minutes from my place and can get all sorts of stuff for them. They have one in their museum too. We have named mine HUM WEE Sr. and his HUM WEE Jr.

I have had mine for a long time, wheeled it till it quit. Then yarded the motor, trans and tcase out and have been working on it a little at a time ever since. However, now at my son's insistence, I have stepped up the pace.

The motors in them were junk. They were only good for about 500 hours and then needed new jugs and pistons. Jr. has a Volvo engine conversion in it that is clean. We wish it had more ponies though
post #7 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM
ihavetheWILLto

1977 CJ7 

Very cool, can't wait to see what you do with it!

1977 CJ7 (Original Equipment: Frame) Currie 9 inch axles front and rear with 4.56 gears and chromoly shafts, Rear ARB Locker, Front Detroit Locker, rear Ford Explorer disc brakes, Ballistic Fab high steer, Mile Marker SS hubs, SOA, YJ Springs, 5.3 Vortec, SM465, D300...and more to come such as Metalcloak fenders, fiberglass tub, and....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by an86cj7guy View Post
Very cool, can't wait to see what you do with it!
First of all, since Jr runs, it is the one getting the most work right now. We went to Long Beach, CA to get it. Had a little mishap with a center pin on the trailer spring and found that in the middle of one of the most populous cities in America, we could not buy a center pin on a Sunday. In fact, none of the parts stores open, including NAPA had even heard of them. We finally found a Mexican speaking limited English to make us one out of a regular bolt. The whole thing took about 5 hours. Something I could have done in my shop in 30 minutes. But we got back on the road and home with it.

]

We knew the engine ran, since it fired a few times on starting fluid. But the fuel line was disconnected. We wondered why. We found out quickly when we put gas in it. The tank leaked it out about as fast as you could fill it. We couldn't really see why, so we pulled the tank and started finding little holes in the aluminum tank. So I set up the wire feed for aluminum and started welding.

57 welds later, it still leaked. We still had not found all the holes and I was getting frustrated. We priced a new tank. $400 was more than Paul wanted to pay. As you can see, it is a unique shape so that it can wrap around part of the frame that extends down the center. So we got some tank sealer and sealed it. The sending unit turned out to be a pile of rust, so we got a new universal sending unit, which looks just like the old CJ units and installed that after sealing it.

Reinstalled the tank and an electric fuel pump and started it up. It runs! But it won't stop.
post #9 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
FamillyCJ7

1983 CJ7 

I think one of those would be cool with a small rover turbo diesel engine in it.

post #10 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
neat! they look pretty small... would love to see one parked next to a TJ or other jeep for perspective on their size... sounds like a really cool project... and to do it with your son is even better! good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 TJ(wheeler) '65 CJ5(sold :( )...'05 LJ(Scrambler conversion, SOLD!) 89' Int. Harvester Toter (SOLD)! '80 CJ7 Resto Mod(sold) 1985 CJ7 Renegade (in process/million pieces) 2000Kenworth Hauler
post #11 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bydesign View Post
neat! they look pretty small... would love to see one parked next to a TJ or other jeep for perspective on their size... sounds like a really cool project... and to do it with your son is even better! good luck
You got it. It has a 71" wheel base

post #12 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think one of those would be cool with a small rover turbo diesel engine in it.
The concept behind these rigs was that they had to be light. GVW is 1720# with a full tank of gas. Diesels are heavy, and even this Volvo is heavier than I would like. We are going to keep it as light as possible. When I finish the other one, fully built I intend to come in at less than 2000#
post #13 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
wow.. they are really cool... I want one! sort of a pocket sized jeep

'04 TJ(wheeler) '65 CJ5(sold :( )...'05 LJ(Scrambler conversion, SOLD!) 89' Int. Harvester Toter (SOLD)! '80 CJ7 Resto Mod(sold) 1985 CJ7 Renegade (in process/million pieces) 2000Kenworth Hauler
post #14 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

HUM WEE Sr. is a little different story. I originally bought it when I had a side business designing and building lift kits in the late 70s. I couldn't build a better suspension, so I bought it. The Mighty Mite has a totally unique suspension. It is fully independent, corners like a sports car on the asphalt, rids like a Cadillac in the rough stuff. When they first came on the market, guys were buying them and running then stock in obstacle course races and just completely annihilating flat fenders. They are rated to be fully safe on a 40į side hill. They can get away with this due to the fact that there is no bounce to the suspension. It just assumes a new height when you hit something. Driving on or off the edge of a curb is like driving into the driveway. Here are some links to some videos the Marines made.

Watch United States Marine Corps Drive M422 Mighty Mite A Light Weight Rugged Jeep On The Rough Terrain In Quantico,Virginia. Online - VideoSurf Video Search

Watch Demonstration Of The Features Of The M422 'Mighty Mite' Jeep In Virginia, United States. Online - VideoSurf Video Search

My son told me to get my act together and get the Mite running since he was on the search for one, so here it was in back of my shop.

Complete with a genuine bullet hole in the dash. I don't need one of those hokie decals

post #15 of 283 Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bydesign View Post
wow.. they are really cool... I want one! sort of a pocket sized jeep
These are the "long" wheel based ones. The "short" ones are 6" shorter with a 65" wheel base. Here is an article about it.

Title - Off-Road Adventures Magazine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in