Power steering upgrade worth it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Balz3352

Power steering upgrade worth it?

Hey I have a 1981 CJ7 that I just inherited.

The steering gear box is leaking obviously I need to repair that. Im just wondering if it is worth it at this time to upgrade to a H1 box or stick wtih a reman cardone.

I will be mostly using this for city with some trails but nothing crazy/heavy duty.

ALso any tips on changing these out would be greatly appreciated. (Ive been reading the threads here about replacement)

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 03:39 PM

1985 CJ7 

If you have the $ for the H1, I would do it now as opposed to later. Why not? If funds are limited, a REMAN'd one will do just fine! I am about to swap mine but opted for a used in good condition one since $ is tight for me right now. I've never had issues with the OEM one I have but one day will upgrade to the H1. Mine is currently leaking at input shaft seal so a direct swap for now is the route I'm taking! You might want to consider getting the M.O.R.E. heavy duty bracket either way. Since it's out, it wouldn't hurt!
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 08:07 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

The stock power steering box is fine, it is a GM part so is sturdy, long lived and easily acquired reman at a low cost. You can also get a rebuild kit for small $ if you want to give it a try.

The Saginaw 800 is is the most common GM steering gearbox found in cars and small trucks from the 1960’s into the 2000’s. The difference between the Saginaw 800 and the Saginaw 808 is the size of the piston. The 800 has a 70mm piston and the 808 has an 80mm piston. The 808 is the 'large car" version and was fitted to FSJ so a J20 steering box is swappable and an upgrade.

FSJ and CJ have the same ham can style GM Saginaw power steering pump and reservoir so the upgrade is only needed to the 808 steering box and you will get a piston 30% larger = 30% more power possible depending on engine speed etc.

You need to check spline counts and type of hose connection (from flared to metric) because they changed in 1980, make sure your 1981 is a 1981 and not an early 1980.

Just changing from a cheap 800 ($113 plus core) to a cheap 808 ($92 plus core, yes even cheaper for a Cardone reman 808 on Rock Auto) will get you more power assistance.

This will not change how it drives on highway but if off road you may find it useful.

Look at Lee Power Steering website to get an idea of the differences and how to identify an 800 and an 808. Once you find a box on a mid 90s GM, identification only takes a tape measure and identification of the lugs. i would not use a junkyard 808 because they are so cheap reman.

So one route to take is to get a GM large car box from a local wrecker that is suitable for core (many, many there and when they realise core junk, not much $) and spend another $92 plus shipping on the 808.

If you want to do the H1 upgrade, it will get you more power assistance and is another Saginaw box, I think with variable ratio. I am unsure of the piston size but it is nearly $400. Plenty of serious upgrades out there for Jeeps.

However the most popular upgrade here is not to the box itself but to the mount. A HD mount and brace will prevent frame cracking and give more precise steering if your frame is a bit weak. Having all the power available will help in rocks but your frame may not survive without some bracing.

Also, upgrades to joints, tie bars and drag links etc etc, the list does not end when you go extra powerful.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

post #4 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 08:52 PM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

Well said Bagus. All of the other concerns can be just as important. Over all, I have never seen a need for the H1 box. Seems like a waste when the 800 is already such a good performer.

I went with the Rugged Ridge 18003.10.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Balz3352

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The stock power steering box is fine, it is a GM part so is sturdy, long lived and easily acquired reman at a low cost. You can also get a rebuild kit for small $ if you want to give it a try.

The Saginaw 800 is is the most common GM steering gearbox found in cars and small trucks from the 1960’s into the 2000’s. The difference between the Saginaw 800 and the Saginaw 808 is the size of the piston. The 800 has a 70mm piston and the 808 has an 80mm piston. The 808 is the 'large car" version and was fitted to FSJ so a J20 steering box is swappable and an upgrade.

FSJ and CJ have the same ham can style GM Saginaw power steering pump and reservoir so the upgrade is only needed to the 808 steering box and you will get a piston 30% larger = 30% more power possible depending on engine speed etc.

You need to check spline counts and type of hose connection (from flared to metric) because they changed in 1980, make sure your 1981 is a 1981 and not an early 1980.

Just changing from a cheap 800 ($113 plus core) to a cheap 808 ($92 plus core, yes even cheaper for a Cardone reman 808 on Rock Auto) will get you more power assistance.

This will not change how it drives on highway but if off road you may find it useful.

Look at Lee Power Steering website to get an idea of the differences and how to identify an 800 and an 808. Once you find a box on a mid 90s GM, identification only takes a tape measure and identification of the lugs. i would not use a junkyard 808 because they are so cheap reman.

So one route to take is to get a GM large car box from a local wrecker that is suitable for core (many, many there and when they realise core junk, not much $) and spend another $92 plus shipping on the 808.

If you want to do the H1 upgrade, it will get you more power assistance and is another Saginaw box, I think with variable ratio. I am unsure of the piston size but it is nearly $400. Plenty of serious upgrades out there for Jeeps.

However the most popular upgrade here is not to the box itself but to the mount. A HD mount and brace will prevent frame cracking and give more precise steering if your frame is a bit weak. Having all the power available will help in rocks but your frame may not survive without some bracing.

Also, upgrades to joints, tie bars and drag links etc etc, the list does not end when you go extra powerful.
Does the 808 bolt right on? Without modification?

I will look at some sort of support bracket when I have it off.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 12:08 AM
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

I have also found the following to be of use

https://mountainoffroad.com/products...brace-76-86-cj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 12:30 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balz3352 View Post
Does the 808 bolt right on? Without modification?
Yes, as long as you stick pre 1980 or post 1980 as the splines and hose connections changed in 1980. You have to watch the splines, some end up using the lower shaft from a manual CJ steering system on the 808.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in