• 1 Post By TIPPEDITOVER
  • 1 Post By ccoyle71
  • 1 Post By kd7oir

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2020, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Power Steering Gear Box

Quick note - it's been a while since I've posted, but continue to frequent the forum and learn from all you guys. I'm not wishing the years away, but when the kids are gone and I'm not spending all my time running them around, I have an endless list of projects I'm anxious to tackle on the ol CJ.

I had a power steering leak (coming from the input shaft on the gear box) that's had started out slow....but continued to worsen. I debated - about trying to rebuild with o-rings and seals....but opted to a refurbished unit. I was concerned that I may spend a week with the box on the bench, only to put it back in and still have something leak. I purchased the part through Rock Auto - and after the core return was right around $100.

Took about 2 hours, maybe 3 start to finish with cleanup and bleeding the system. One thing I had not counted on ....was the HUGE difference in the steering. Since I bought the Jeep several years ago, I had gotten so used to the "slop" in the wheel I barely even noticed it. On my first test drive around the block, I was blown away - almost put her in a ditch. I jokingly call it a porsche in the way it handles.....but compared to what it was, it's a night and day difference.

Overall, a very easy, inexpensive, and worth-while upgrade for any of you guys that deal with leaks or sloppy steering. A pic below of the leaky gear on the bench. Cheers! Bring on the spring time no top Jeep weather!!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6767.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2020, 10:39 AM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Can you put the link to the steering gear box in this thread? I may be interested. Is it the OEM gear box or something borrowed from another vehicle and retrofitted to the CJ?

I want my two dollars!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

I can't remember exactly which part I ordered, I have it all in a folder at home. It may have been this one: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...81360&jsn=2172

If you go to RockAuto.com, and follow the tree for the year, make, model, etc....it should take you right to it. My CJ is an 86, and it was a direct bolt on and go. I can't really speak to how it will hold up - I don't do alot of wheeling, but the initial improvement was amazing. It's been a month or two since I installed it, and haven't had any leaks / problems.

It seems that folks were having trouble finding the H1 box....or other options for upgrades. This seemed really straightforward and a good way to solve my leak issue....with some added drive-ability improvements - so I thought I'd pass along.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2020, 09:41 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

An "H1" box is nothing more than a post 1980 Saginaw 808 box. Your stock CJ box is a Saginaw 800, which is still nothing to sneeze at. The 808 is commonly known as a "big bore" box.

Best website I've found to date summarizing the differences in some of the popular Saginaw box's below. Very insightful.

https://leepowersteering.com/pages/h...entify-gearbox
ccoyle71 likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

Thx for the link - I continue to be amazed at all the knowledge out there - you guys are great!
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2020, 10:14 AM
kd7oir

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
An "H1" box is nothing more than a post 1980 Saginaw 808 box. Your stock CJ box is a Saginaw 800, which is still nothing to sneeze at. The 808 is commonly known as a "big bore" box.

Best website I've found to date summarizing the differences in some of the popular Saginaw box's below. Very insightful.

http://leepowersteering.com/pages/ho...entify-gearbox
interesting article.
Thanks Shawn
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.

Shawn
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2020, 11:53 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post

https://leepowersteering.com/pages/h...entify-gearbox
808 also used on full size jeeps. A rebuild kit is less than $20 including bearings, so if you find one in the yard, don't be afraid of snagging it and have a go at rebuilding.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in