Passenger seat slider flip - Is this the correct YJ to lower the riser w/ slider? - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Passenger seat slider flip - Is this the correct YJ to lower the riser w/ slider?

I'm trying to track down the 91-95 riser/slider combo to swap out on my rig. I heard that the 91-95 specifically had the correct set-up and I'm not sure if the one I found is correct.

Did 87-90 YJs have a slider on the passenger? If not, this one should be the one. The slider mechanism appears correct.

The problem I have is that the seller doesn't know the year. Maybe a measurement? Best spot to do so?

Attached Thumbnails
YJ9195.jpg  

PNW Represent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 12:56 PM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

That looks exactly like the one I installed. The cross bar and everything looks correct.
uw91 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cJAY904 View Post
That looks exactly like the one I installed. The cross bar and everything looks correct.

Thank you. I'm trying to get a height dimension from the seller from the front frames to the top of the slider when flush, hopefully that will tell more. He has a stock of them and didn't have the year of the Jeeps they pulled them from.

Appreciate the 'everything looks right'.

PNW Represent

post #4 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw91 View Post
Thank you. I'm trying to get a height dimension from the seller from the front frames to the top of the slider when flush, hopefully that will tell more. He has a stock of them and didn't have the year of the Jeeps they pulled them from.

Appreciate the 'everything looks right'.
If you can get the measurement, I will validate it against the one i installed.
uw91 likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
If you can get the measurement, I will validate it against the one i installed.

Turns out the guy cannot get measurements b/c they are all boxed up in the warehouse. yay, go figure. Almost want to roll the dice and go with it, but not sure if $75 is a typical or good price for these. (not new or excellent, but light rust and can be touched up)

PNW Represent
post #6 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

........ this one should be the one. The slider mechanism appears correct.

You cant go by slider as the sliders can be bolted onto the taller risers (by the previous owner)

Most don't realize that there are several different risers and sliders spanning the 76 to 95 CJ and YJ models with most of the changes in the YJ years.

I just looked at my lower YJ risers (lower to offset the slider height) and the one you have pictured does look like the lower passenger riser.

As a side note, you will lose a little bit of space to get in the rear when the seat is folded forward as the lower riser doesn't fold as far forward.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #7 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
You cant go by slider as the sliders can be bolted onto the taller risers (by the previous owner)

I just looked at my lower YJ risers (lower to offset the slider height) and the one you have pictured does look like the lower passenger riser.

So what you are saying is; get the measurements and compare/confirm.

PNW Represent
post #8 of 23 Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

the one you have pictured at the top is the lower 91 to 95 riser. Is that the picture from the seller?? If not I can give you measurements from both the non slider and slider ones.

If the slider comes with it, try to get the matching drivers side slider. I did that in mine and the later sliders/levers are so much nicer than the CJ drivers slider.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
post #9 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
the one you have pictured at the top is the lower 91 to 95 riser. Is that the picture from the seller?? If not I can give you measurements from both the non slider and slider ones.

If the slider comes with it, try to get the matching drivers side slider. I did that in mine and the later sliders/levers are so much nicer than the CJ drivers slider.
I received pictures from the seller. Didn't do the best in giving me measurements, but hopefully 4 pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg   s-l1600 (1).jpg   s-l1600 (2).jpg   s-l1600 (3).jpg  

PNW Represent
post #10 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

When I compare my photos to Yours, I would say they are the right seat. My first photo is close to your last one. And my second photo is like your third. I think it is the correct seat riser.
Attached Images

uw91 likes this.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
When I compare my photos to Yours, I would say they are the right seat. My first photo is close to your last one. And my second photo is like your third. I think it is the correct seat riser.

Baller! I think that is good enough to say this is correct. Thank you so much for getting the measurements out there.
cJAY904 likes this.

PNW Represent
post #12 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 12:10 PM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:

I did the same thing, used the YJ pass side seat base and slider, then added the YJ slider mechanism on the driver side also. Later, I went back and switched to the late YJ driver side fixed seat base. I don't have a back seat, so the driver side flip forward option didn't serve a purpose, and it seemed like the CJ seat base leaned the seat back further than the pass side. They were uneven, in other words. Also, the fixed YJ seat base moves the driver seat inboard just a little, to allow more left elbow room when using YJ half doors. With the CJ seat base, there isn't room to reach your hand to the floorboard between the driver door panel and driver bottom seat cushion. With the YJ seat base, there is room.

YJ fixed driver seat base pic from internet.
Attached Images

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #13 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
uw91

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schardein View Post
I did the same thing, used the YJ pass side seat base and slider, then added the YJ slider mechanism on the driver side also. Later, I went back and switched to the late YJ driver side fixed seat base. I don't have a back seat, so the driver side flip forward option didn't serve a purpose, and it seemed like the CJ seat base leaned the seat back further than the pass side. They were uneven, in other words. Also, the fixed YJ seat base moves the driver seat inboard just a little, to allow more left elbow room when using YJ half doors. With the CJ seat base, there isn't room to reach your hand to the floorboard between the driver door panel and driver bottom seat cushion. With the YJ seat base, there is room.

YJ fixed driver seat base pic from internet.

Thank you for the info! I have the half doors and this is refreshing to hear.

How bad is the lean? I'd rather have the height be closer than the lean, because the height is bugging me.

I have a spare slider that I was going to put on the passenger that I bought from Quadratec but I had to drill to put it in place. Does that fit the driver's side without drilling or am I over thinking?

PNW Represent
post #14 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 01:53 PM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I have the half doors and this is refreshing to hear.

How bad is the lean? I'd rather have the height be closer than the lean, because the height is bugging me.

I have a spare slider that I was going to put on the passenger that I bought from Quadratec but I had to drill to put it in place. Does that fit the driver's side without drilling or am I over thinking?
In my case, with the stock driver and pass flip forward CJ seat bases, the driver seat tilted further back than the pass side. This was with factory bases and seats. I switched to aftermarket seats and it was still noticeable. I then switched to a factory CJ driver side fixed seat base, and that fixed it so the seats were at the same angle. Then later I switched to the YJ pass flip forward and YJ fixed driver seat bases.

I don't remember ever noticing a difference in height, maybe because I don't think I ever mixed CJ and YJ bases.

I also don't remember if I had to drill the seat bases or not. I've changed bases, seats, and added CJ or YJ sliders numerous times but I've been running the same setup now for about 10 years, other than adding seat heaters to my aftermarket seats 3 years ago. And, installing an aluminum plate between the driver seat and slider mechanism, so I could mount an ARB dual compressor hanging from the bottom of my seat. Because of that, my driver seat does sit about 1/8"-1/4" taller than the pass side. I don't notice it when looking at the seats, but I did notice the difference in knee/thigh room in relation to the steering wheel. It's surprising how a small change can make a big difference. I have a tilt steering column or it would be a pain getting in and out.
uw91 likes this.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" Falken A/T3W on beadlocks
post #15 of 23 Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

OK, about to drop some knowledge here....
There are at least 9 different risers and 3 different sliders used under at least two different seat base sizes in the 76 to 95 CJs and YJs. Here is a quick breakdown highlighting the main differences.

Jeep seat risers: domestic / left side driver position

Driver:
*CJ fixed large Z shaped brackets

*CJ folding with release handle forward of the pivot and pushes down

*YJ folding with release handle rearward of pivot and pulls up

*YJ fixed stamped and formed brackets

All drivers side are lower and use a slider
with 11” spaced holes
All have slider mount surface extending away on each side. (Seat is centered over the bracket)except the later fixed YJ stamped which offsets the seat inward.

Passenger:
+CJ tall with release handle forward of pivot and pushes down. 12.5” spaced seat holes

*YJ tall with handle forward and pulls up
Seat offset outward /to the right. 12.5” seat holes.

*YJ tall with handle rearward and pulls up
Seat is offset outward/to the right. 12.5” seat holes.

*YJ low with handle rear and pulls up
Seat offset outward / to the right. 11” slider holes

*YJ low with handle rear and pulls up
Seat offset is inward/ to the left and 11” slider holes with nuts welded in

SLIDERS:

CJ drivers side. Side lever and cross cable. Used a rear cross bar and spacers
11” apart studs on riser side, 12.5” seat holes

YJ offset adjusting bar (1 mounting hole) 11” apart studs on riser side, 12.5” apart holes on seat side with built in seat spacers

YJ centered adjusting bar (has 2 catch holes) , 11” holes for riser, 14” holes for seat

Seats: non reclining or the older fixed high backs have 12.5" spaced mounting holes and the later reclining seats used 91 to 95 have holes spaced 14" apart (front to rear).

So what does all this mean?

Drivers will always have sliders to adjust for leg length to reach the pedals. easy enough and the height of the riser and sliders are constant. With the CJs not using a slider on the passenger side, the riser needed to be higher so the seat height would match the drivers side. This continued into the YJ until the passenger needed to have a slider as well. The riser height decreased the height of the slider. Side note, the lower riser doesn't not fold forward as far as the taller one so your rear seat entry space is slightly decreased. The seats during this time used spacers to compensate for the material folding under the seat and getting in the way of the sliders.

The next change happened in 91 when the reclining seat needed to clear the roll bar so the risers offset changed and the sliders seat side bolt pattern changed.

This leaves the possibility of a lot of mix n match. and the possibility of stuff not to work or fit right together.

UW91, the pictures you show from the seller match a late YJ lower riser with offset for reclining seats. This may or may not work for you due to how its configured and or how much you want to modify things. Of the 2 lower risers, that one has welded in nuts for the riser. The riser without studs is the one for the reclining seat and the whole thing is off set inward. So if your using different sliders, they may not fit or if your using the CJ style seat (12.5" mounts). they may not fit the sliders. PLUS, the seat may be shifted inward an if you have a wide console, there could be fitment issues there as well. (the YJ console was the same as the CJ one up till 91 when the wider reclining seats also got a narrower and redesigned center console.

I would use the first or earlier YJ lower riser and use the matching sliders on both seats.

The one pictured could still work, but you may need to cut/grind out the welded in nuts to use the older sliders to fit the older seats OR you could drill new holes in the 14" sliders to match the 12.5" seats. Offset may be an issue. I checked both CJ and later YJ tubs and both seem to have the riser mount in the same place on the passenger side at about 8.75" away from the side

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in